Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Bayonets! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
William P

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

if you guys would like to know this,

lawrance ordinance in Sydney australia has a few bayonets, recently they obtained one of those yhatagan bladed chasspot bayonets
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are a few bayonets attached to their respective rifles. The Mosin-Nagant bayonet will not fit properly and I have not worked on it to make it fit so the position you see is obviously incorrect since the shank obscures the front sight. Interestingly, most of the photos of Soviet troops in action show the bayonet affixed to the rifle. My understanding is the troops were ordered to put them on and keep them on unless told otherwise.

So, bottom to top, we have the M-1 carbine with a Mk 4 bayonet. This bayonet, while it is marked on the guard as a Mk 4, has the solid grip of a German-made Mk 7, and there are no cross screws. That could be why it does not fit the carbine very well. Most WWII carbines did not have provision for bayonet attachment. The M-1 Garand is equipped with a 10 inch bayonet as opposed to the cut down 1905 variety.

Next is post-war Enfield No. 4 Mk 2 with a the bowie style bayonet used until the No. 4 was discontinued around 1955. Just below is a WWII K 98 bayonet. I could not find my WWII vintage spike bayonet for the No. 4 but it is around here somewhere.

Finally, the Mod. 1891 Mosin with bayonet and a Australian SMLE with the 1907 bayonet made by Wilkinson.

Attachment: 63.93 KB
Mosin and SMLE.jpg

Attachment: 72.07 KB
Enfield No 4 Mk 2 and K 98.jpg

Attachment: 75.43 KB
M1 Carbine and Garand.jpg

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Ozsváth Árpád-István

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin, you have an 1891/30 bayonet attached to an 1891 Mosin-Nagant rifle. Maybe that's the problem.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ozsváth Árpád-István wrote:
Lin, you have an 1891/30 bayonet attached to an 1891 Mosin-Nagant rifle. Maybe that's the problem.

Could be. It fits to a point and then will not go any further. The rifle dates from 1926. Thanks for letting me know.

The bayonet was found in a shed at a rifle range with a note that said, "Somebody take this. I do not need it". So I took it.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
David Wilson

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Wilson wrote:
Here are some.... in no particular order, there are two bayonets for a 98K rifle, both service and dress use; An older German bayonet; A French "Needle" Bayonet; An AKM bayonet (Polish, I believe); And an M91 Moisin-Nagant bayonet.

David, the "older German bayonet" is actually an Austro-Hungarian M95 Mannlicher bayonet NCO version used in both world wars. The most common makers were OEWG(Austria) and FGGY(Hungary). You can find the makers mark on the ricasso.

Interesting! Dad wasn't sure of the rifle it was for.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Ozsváth Árpád-István

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most probably it was from a hungarian NCO. Although the M(18)95 rifle was considered deprecated in WW1, in WW2 many troops were still carrying it. There were simply not enough M(19)35 rifles made to equip all the troops. No wonder we lost the war . In our country firearms are prohibited, even collecting old rusty ones presumes a collectors license, which is expensive and hard to get. You can read more about the rifle here:
http://www.hungariae.com/Mann95.htm
Paul Mullins

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have been searching for an original WW1 era M95 bayonet for some time now. I have a Steyr dated 1917 and I would like to add a proper bayonet. I currently have it displayed with a rare ersatz bayonet made for the rifle.
Ozsváth Árpád-István

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Paul. Luckily the M95 is one of the most common bayonets and it's easy to come by. At $70-80 you can get a decent one. I recommend you to buy one made by OEWG (Steyr). They supposed to be interchangable between different makers, but I ofen hear collectors arguing about that. Some hungarian made ones seem to not fit well on austrian rifles and vice-versa.
There were a dozen "third party" makers aswell, but cca. 90% of the Mannlicher bayonets were made by OEWG and FGGY.
You can tell an early WWI model from the small rounded rivets holding the crossguard and unit markings, but you have to be experienced. Later produced ones tend to have bigger rivets with slightly flattened heads.
Can you please post some pictures about your ersats bayonet?

Hier are a few specimens from a hungarian collector:
http://szurony.com/uploads/photos/560.jpg
Paul Mullins

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ozsváth,

Thank you for the reply. I am holding out for a OEWG made bayonet, just trying to find a unit marked one, these are harder to find here in the US.

I will try to get some photos this weekend of my bayonets, I mostly have WW1 era bayonets.
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My only bayonet is this M1905 bayonet, issued for the M1903 Springfield. It was made in 1911 by Rock Island Arsenal, and originally had a 16" blade. In 1943 it was cut down to a 10" blade by the US Army, to be reissued for the M1 Garand. The bayonet was then redesignated "M1".

Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are my ones:

* Service rifles

From top-bottom:
1. German Mauser 98k with wooden scales (as far as I know this simply means pre-1936 period)
2. Yugoslavian M1948 Mauser rifle (usually known here in Bulgaria just as Serbian Mauser)
3. Greek Mannlicher-Schoenauer, also known as Mod. Y1903. Some I-net sources (for example - www.edgedweapons.nl) insist that this type of bayonet is modified shortened Greek Gras M1874 T-shaped blade, but actually modified Gras bayonet looks very different. The M-S bayonet, shown here is the original Austro-Hungarian Stayr-made.
4. Bulgarian Mannlicher M.95, again made by Stayr. What is interesting here, is the fact that the bayonet is in a condition of factory repairs - the guard is already removed by the press, but some remains of the rivet-shanks still occupy their holes:

** AK series

Top-bottom:
1. Bulgarian knife-bayonet for AK47. The grease on the blade is the manufacture's conservation.
2left. Russian (or more correctly - Soviet) AKM Type II bayonet. This one in made in Tula by TOZ (the stamp is triangle with an arrow in it). The blade is locked to the scabbard into the wire-cutting position.
2right. Bulgarian AKM Type II bayonet. It bears the stamp of Factory 10 (circle with number 10 in it)
3. Czechoslovakian VZ-58 bayonet of late-production variant (with full-length tang). This one is with nickel-plated blade.

*** Socket bayonets, waiting for restoration:

Top-bottom:
1. American for Henri-Martini (or Peabody-Martini) rifle, produced in the U.S. for the Turkish government.
2. Soviet for Mosin-Nagant 1891/30.
3. (not shown - it isn't at home right now) for M1867 Russian Krnka breachloading service rifle.
Mike Millender

PostPosted: Sun 10 Nov, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: I know I am jumping in late but....         Reply with quote

Poor pic, but you get the picture. I have been collecting since 2010.

Attachment: 240.93 KB
[ Download ]

So many toys, so little time
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 10 Nov, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Damn, Mike.....You got yourself a s***load of bayonets! Laughing Out Loud ........Nice!............McM
Mike Millender

PostPosted: Mon 11 Nov, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I cannot stop.

I like to hold them in my hands and wonder who carried them, where have they been, what have they seen. It is the closest we will ever get to 'being there'.

So many toys, so little time
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 11 Nov, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those are the sentiments of a true, passionate collector. Yours is a very impressive collection, and you should be very proud. One of those could have been fixed on my grandpa's rifle at Normandy Beach, or my dad's carbine in the Marshall Islands. Thanks for the thought, here on Veterans day. You keep right on doing what you do. The next time I run across an old bayonet for sale, I'll buy it....just to have. Thank you....................McM
George Szilágyi

PostPosted: Wed 23 Sep, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a new member and to get the ball rolling here in the bayonets "show-and-tell" section, here's one of my favorites from my collection: Hungarian Model 1935 (for rifle of the same name and for the M1943 and Királyi machine gun also) for enlistedmen with sight (mistakenly called "cavalry" version...in fact the sight was placed to compensate for recoil on previous models!).

Attachment: 112.11 KB
[ Download ]
Ozsváth Árpád-István

PostPosted: Thu 24 Sep, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice to meet you again George Happy I really envy you for that beautiful M35.
George Szilágyi

PostPosted: Thu 24 Sep, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice to meet you again George Happy I really envy you for that beautiful M35.

THX...you just can't avoid me!!! Big Grin

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Bayonets!
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: