Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Fencing mask to use for steel longsword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Erik Heller

PostPosted: Sat 19 Sep, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Fencing mask to use for steel longsword?         Reply with quote

I'm have been looking into what would be a decent mask to get for steel longsword, and I'm a bit confused. As far as I can tell, most masks list either 350-1600N, and either CEN level 1 or 2. But I'm not sure what I would need. For example the absolute force mask seems to be on the lower end of that scale, and the leon paul hema mask is on the higher end, and more expensive. But I have seen recommendations for and against both as well as others I've looked at.

For now I'm just using wooden wasters and I don't have much protective gear, but I plan to buy more over time. A mask seemed the logical place to start since I hope to move into using steel eventually.

So my question is, what masks out there have a reasonable level of protection to be used for steel longsword? I know nothing is perfect, but what is it that most people use (that seem to work).
Houston P.

PostPosted: Sat 19 Sep, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I have been training with the ARMA, and my group pretty much only uses steel training swords. I use the Absolute Force Deluxe mask, their throat protector, and basic leather gloves with some thin padding. That's all. I've taken cuts and thrusts with a Regenyei feder, the Albion Meyer, and others, and that has been sufficient protection. I honestly don't foresee anything ever hitting close to hard enough to hurt me through that mask unless they did something like a murder stroke and didn't use control. It is new, and I'm still getting used to it, but I'd say it should be fine unless you fence with people who have little regard to your safety, in which case I'd not fence with them at all.
...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. (‭Luke‬ ‭22‬:‭36‬)
Herbert Schmidt

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 20 Sep, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Whatever model you decide on, it should have 1600N. Don't settle for anything lower.
www.arsgladii.at
Historical European Martial Arts
Patrick Jones

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fencing mask to use for steel longsword?         Reply with quote

Erik Heller wrote:
I'm have been looking into what would be a decent mask to get for steel longsword, and I'm a bit confused. As far as I can tell, most masks list either 350-1600N, and either CEN level 1 or 2. But I'm not sure what I would need. For example the absolute force mask seems to be on the lower end of that scale, and the leon paul hema mask is on the higher end, and more expensive. But I have seen recommendations for and against both as well as others I've looked at.

For now I'm just using wooden wasters and I don't have much protective gear, but I plan to buy more over time. A mask seemed the logical place to start since I hope to move into using steel eventually.

So my question is, what masks out there have a reasonable level of protection to be used for steel longsword? I know nothing is perfect, but what is it that most people use (that seem to work).

If you plan on using steel weapons, I can't think of anything better than the Windrose Armoury's "Fiore Sparring Helmet". I've been using it for several years - It's a full steel helmet that provides great for protection in the side and back of the head for some of Fiore's pommel strikes.

http://www.windrosearmoury.com/zc/index.php?m...r7i8m5vjp5

Pair that with a gorget from Terry Tindall (I got mine from Darkwood Armoury), and you've got a very good head/throat protection system.

However, nothing beats control of your weapon!

cheers!

Pat
T. Kew

PostPosted: Wed 23 Sep, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I use the LP HEMA mask (prototype version), and a SPES trinity cover. The combination is excellent - lightweight, comfortable, and very protective. Serves perfectly well against fairly powerful cuts from Ties Kool et al. I'd want something more solid if I was bashing blunts around (instead of feders), but there's a reason none of the groups I know make heavy use of them.

Sport fencing ratings are not directly applicable to HEMA. A summary of what the various categories mean can be found here (PDF link). The short answer is that CEN2 and 1600N are often but not always better.

As a practical example, high end masks often use thinner wire, and weave it more closely. This makes them lighter, and also gives them excellent puncture resistance against a narrow point (such as a broken foil). However, this also means they can crumple under cuts from longswords or similar heavy weapons.

The Absolute Force mask is the basic standard. People wear it throughout the HEMA world, and it does an excellent job at a very reasonable price.

For other options, it's generally sensible to look at coaching masks, which are typically constructed a bit more heavily (so as to survive constant abuse).

The gold standard options in fencing masks for HEMA are the LP HEMA mask and the Gajardoni. Both are strong, comfortable, and expensive.

Beyond that, you're looking at either a Tindall-style perf-plate mask, a sparring helmet like the Windlass, or Brian Hunt's kydex close helmet. Much more expensive again, but still more protective.

HEMA fencer and coach, New Cross Historical Fencing
Erik Heller

PostPosted: Wed 23 Sep, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. This seems like an excellent summary of the options.

It sounds to me like it makes sense to buy a lighter fencing mask for now, just to protect from accidents during practice, and then I'll look into getting something more protective later depending on exactly what I end up doing.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Fencing mask to use for steel longsword?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic