Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Settlers Day 2015 Sept 19-20 Manvilille RIEvent Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jul, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Settlers Day 2015 Sept 19-20 Manvilille RI         Reply with quote

For a dozen years now, some friends and I have been doing a public display of swords, knives and other arms. It has been a great opportunity to interface with the public regarding collecting and history. Modern and antique swords and knives. Spears, hammers, etc.

The event is held annually at The Manville Sportsmen's Rod and Gun Club There are various club activities and vendors. This is a public event with dollar ticket club activities such as rifle, archery, hawk tossing and more. Entry is free and there is a public parking lot with shuttles that run the two blocks to the club.

No two years have been the same but there are often militia re-enactors, a blacksmith, drum circle from a visiting tribe, etc. The club has always welcomed other vendors and displays. If interested in setting up those days, please contact the club. Space is first come first served but the main field is rarely crowded, with other areas available.

Others wanting to join our blade tables are welcome. Let me know. If bringing many items, extra tables and chairs are always helpful. While there are often targets to cut, contributions are always welcome. I am usually an early bird and setting up by about 8am both days. We have been setting up next to the club house and hawk tossing.

I will post a flyer once they publish one.

Cheers

GC
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jul, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Settlers Day 2015 Sept 19-20 Manville RI         Reply with quote

I think that would be great to watch hawk (tomahawk) tossing participants in action. Wink
“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jul, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The children do remarkably well with many of the activities. A friend who had visited 1n 2007 spent most of the afternoon at the gun stations. The daughter arrived with swords in hand and I asked if those were her's. "nope, those are my dad's", sporting a kind of bored appearance.

Dmitry brought several interesting pieces that day.

The gun ranges and activities are a large local draw.

[QUOTE=Dmitry Z~G;1030405]I was there last last year and will be very glad to attend this year also. I even contemplated joining the club, as it has the best facilities of all the sportsmen's clubs in Rhode Island, but unfortunately it's a 40+ minute drive for me.
You can shoot pretty much anything during the Settler's Day. Last year I shot a black powder .45 revolver, M1 Garand, skeets, replica 1860 Springfield rifle [hit the can from 30 yards on the first try], replica US M1795 flintlock musket [missed with that one]. They even let my 5 y.o. daugther shoot a black powder musket.
In a nutshell -- it's great day of fun!

[/QUOTE]

Cheers

GC
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 11 Aug, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The flyer is now up on the site. Keep us in mind if you are in the area.

Aaron Hoard

PostPosted: Tue 11 Aug, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool looking event - wish I could attend.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 04 Sep, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A couple of weeks to go.. It is sneaking up on me faster than I thought and I need to start prioritizing. A few times now, I have been contacted after the event asking to be reminded next time. Here it is, the next time Happy

Cheers

GC
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 19 Sep, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The weather is stellar this year. Much the same but now with Josh MacNiel's iron work out front and a cameo of me behind a tree fending off the Boy Scouts at the knife table. I was busy to the point of not managing to get any other photos I meant to capture.

I sadly parted with a few of my old favorites but they are going to good homes. I will miss my Windlass Espada Ropera a great deal. It was my first Euro reproduction. Others have been sold or traded away. Will definitely help the costs of other things going on in life.

The weather is supposed to be great tomorrow. C'mon down Happy

Cheers

GC
Dan Rosen

PostPosted: Sat 19 Sep, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Visiting tomorrow with a couple members of my group ( http://strangeandfarre.weebly.com/ ) in plainclothes. We're looking forward to it, it'll be a first time visit for all of us.
-Dan Rosen

"One day there will be no more frontier, and men like you will go too."
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 19 Sep, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Outstanding! I am the big oaf behind the rack of eagle pommels.

Cheers

GC
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 24 Sep, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Todd Pelletier has shared some more pictures from the weekend on our Facebook timelines.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000715996723
https://www.facebook.com/todd.pelletier.9?pnref=story

I did not take any pictures aside from a project and yet to be uploaded. Finally unloaded the vehicle, now to condense it all back into a 12'x12' room and closet. I need to set up shop somewhere.

Cheers

GC
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sun 27 Sep, 2015 5:06 am    Post subject: Settlers Day 2015 Sept 19-20 Manville RI         Reply with quote

Boy! I wish I could attend this year's Settlers Day and take a look at the events there.
“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Settlers Day 2015 Sept 19-20 Manvilille RIEvent
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic