Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Shopping for antiques in Rhodes Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sancar O.

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Shopping for antiques in Rhodes         Reply with quote

I'm planning a short trip to island of Rhodes sometime next month. As always, I'll be looking for antiques or at least good reproductions or contemporary culturally significant local blades. Any ideas and advices from you guys on, where to shop, which types of blades to look for and what to avoid will be greatly appreciated. I will be especially grateful if you can point to a specific antique shop, or local market or district because I will have limited time there, and I don't speak Greek so it will be a challenge.

And, of course, which museums or historical sites is a must-see for a sword and martial history enthusiast like me? I'll be grateful for your advices.

Thank you all, in advance Happy

P.S. I hope I posted this in the right place. If not so, please don't hesitate to move or delete this thread.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Shopping for antiques in Rhodes         Reply with quote

I bet there are antiques, especially captured Ottoman swords, sold at flea markets throughout that Greek island.
“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After spending half a day wandering around the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul and through many antique shops in Thessaloniki, I would presume that on Rhodes it is more likely that you will find lots of old reproductions of interesting things like swords, knives, guns, bows, hats, flasks, pipes, etc... Than any sort of authentic antiques (though there are some, certainly). The reproduction business is an old one in the Eastern Mediterranean, where rich Europeans have been taking "Grand Tours" since the mid-19th century. I would be wary to purchase anything that looks like an historical artifact of apparent value without professional scrutiny at almost any sort of dealer that I came across during my recent time spent in Greece and Turkey.

-Gregory
Sa'ar Nudel

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rhodes is a heavily toured place, one of most busy islands in the world. Don't expect to find any real antiques, and most of the sellers do speak english. Full of 'tourist traps'. That said, it is on my visit list for the near future, the old city is a must for any history lover, as it was the center of the Order of St. John, and is a living medieval city. I sggest to do an in-depth web search.
Curator of Beit Ussishkin, regional nature & history museum, Upper Galilee.
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jul, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A good rule to remember always - Tourist areas, only EVER pay tourist prices.. NEVER believe the stories that come with an item. Sure, there *are* some genuine sleepers around, but it's like winning the lottery
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jul, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is THE Palace Armoury in Valleta. But you knew that. Wink
jamesarlen.com
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jul, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

But that's Malta.... not Rhodes.

Been there many times, on and off the beaten track. Nothing I've ever seen of any age but plenty of tourist stuff and dogy repros. I Once was shown a 'very old bellows my grandfather used as a child' but then saw probably same gent slapping on antiquing solution onto everything they sold in the back and throwing dust on it!

Down by the Mole there was a fabulous icon painter whose workshop was straight out the middle ages. he spoke no English and I no Greek but I was able to identify his pigments and techniques, very hour with a talented chap. The various hotels of the nations are still there although now used for different purposes. The English Knights block was a knitware shop.....

Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Shopping for antiques in Rhodes
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic