Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Peterson Type M Axe Recreation (1 of 2) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 27 Jun, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Peterson Type M Axe Recreation (1 of 2)         Reply with quote

Well, the day has finally arrived when I'm able to again share something that I've made. It feels good to get back to making things.

I started things out by doing a study of a Peterson Type M axe that I documented with Peter Johnsson in Uppsala, Sweden. Here is a picture of the original. As you can see, it is quite corroded.

To start this study, I made my own drawings so that I could fill in the corroded areas.

I am just getting back into the swing of things and I wanted to use this study to develop techniques and make tools that would help with future projects. So I made two axes based on this example.

This is axe number one. This axe is a two part axe. I forged a mild steel eye and the blade was forged and welded to the eye using my propane forge. I realize that that many axes were multi-part axes: usually eye, body, then high carbon cutting edge. For this project, I just wanted to work on joining the eye and body; so I forged the high carbon section to look like many historic examples. Based on this study, I will make future axe heads using multi-part construction. Here are some WIP pictures. I plan on blackening the body and leaving the edge satin. I will haft it tomorrow. Lastly, I purposely left some tooling marks and small forge flaws to add character. I have really grown to appreciate these small character marks.

Note: the blade looks crooked, but it is actually straight. I'm not holding the axe head square to the camera...sorry.

My goal was to make this as close to my drawings as possible. Axe number one was close. I missed my marks in a few places, but overall it is a good first study. Axe two will be closer to the drawings.

This axe is available. If you are interested, send me a PM or an email to ericmycue374@comcast.net

I will post pictures of the completed project. Axe two is about a week away from completion.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 27 Jun, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Outstanding Eric. Buddy, it's really great to see you back in the craft. I can see something like this in my future.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jun, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Not available         Reply with quote

Well, that went fast. Happy

I will have the next one done in a week or so.
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jul, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

#2 is on the rubble heap. Tried to grind out a forge flaw now it is too thin. Time to start another one.
Mike Ruhala

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 29 Jul, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love these axes! Hopefully someday I'll be able to own one.
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 30 Aug, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Second Axe in series         Reply with quote

Here is a Type M that I'm making for Patrick Kelly. It is very similar to the first axe, but it is a bit lighter.

Maciej K.
Industry Professional

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 31 Aug, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

nice clean work with all details historical.
I like very much that type. good work Eric!

Medieval Swords - www.artofswordmaking.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 01 Sep, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric, I have one of your axes that I purchased a few years ago from the " Marketplace Forum " here on " myArmoury " and I'm very pleased with it, I can recommend your work to others as very much worth while and high in quality.

One thing I do notice is that the ridge where the axe become thicker near the edge seems more pronounced and defined than in my axe, that is of a previous generation of your work ..... nothing wrong with mine but your work does seem to be getting more crisp and precise.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 06 Sep, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Eric, I have one of your axes that I purchased a few years ago from the " Marketplace Forum " here on " myArmoury " and I'm very pleased with it, I can recommend your work to others as very much worth while and high in quality.

One thing I do notice is that the ridge where the axe become thicker near the edge seems more pronounced and defined than in my axe, that is of a previous generation of your work ..... nothing wrong with mine but your work does seem to be getting more crisp and precise.

Well, here is the thing. When I went to Sweden years ago with Peter Johnsson, we documented that large axe that I made for Patrick. I think you own it now. There is gradual increase in thickness where the body steel meets the edge steel. Now I'm not sure if that gradual increase is because of the rust, or if it was a feature of the axe. I believe it was a feature of the axe. On the other hand, in Copenhagen and London, I saw axes from the same time period that had that crisp weld where the body steel and the edge steel meet. James Austin recreates this feature quite often. So, with these axes, I was going for the crisp transition. One day, maybe I will have the chance to sit down with Peter and James and we can discuss this over a bottle of something spiritual.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 06 Sep, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric McHugh wrote:

Well, here is the thing. When I went to Sweden years ago with Peter Johnsson, we documented that large axe that I made for Patrick. I think you own it now.

Jean owns the very first, smaller axe you made for me. (which I regret selling)

No one owns that big one but me, nor ever will. Big Grin

Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 06 Sep, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

Oh, gotcha! That one was one of the first I made, so yes, there is some improvements and clarification of things. That is still a solid axe! Defiantly a keeper.
Carl W.

PostPosted: Mon 07 Sep, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Peterson Type M Axe Recreation (1 of 2)         Reply with quote

These look great, well done. Happy to see you back making stuff, & especially these.
Eric McHugh wrote:
Lastly, I purposely left some tooling marks and small forge flaws to add character. I have really grown to appreciate these small character marks.

100% agree. Modern perfection looks & feels unbelievable to me on "many centuries old" items.

Eric McHugh wrote:
Here is a Type M that I'm making for Patrick Kelly. It is very similar to the first axe, but it is a bit lighter.

What is approx size & weight of Patrick's? (if neither of you mind)
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 07 Sep, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric McHugh wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

Oh, gotcha! That one was one of the first I made, so yes, there is some improvements and clarification of things. That is still a solid axe! Defiantly a keeper.

YUP, and I'm keeping it. Wink Big Grin Very nice axe and the wooden shaft's wood grain is very attractive also as it has aged a bit plus the occasional application of boiled linseed oil.

Well Patrick at least you know it has a good home, and where it is.

Oh, an off topic thing that I've seen countless times: it should be definitely not defiantly Confused WTF?!

I think it's one of those " Spellchecker " mishaps when using " CHECK SPELLING WHILE TYPING " or clicking on the wrong suggested word by the spellchecker.

Eric, seeing this error so often by so many other people finally got to me, nothing personal ..... Wink Big Grin Cool

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 07 Sep, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Peterson Type M Axe Recreation (1 of 2)         Reply with quote

Carl W. wrote:

What is approx size & weight of Patrick's? (if neither of you mind)

Well, I'm the current holder/owner of the axe, so here are a few of the statistics for you, assuming you meant the first smaller axe that is in the pic of Patrick in maille a few posts above this one.

Weight total: 2 lb. 10oz.

Total length from top horn to end of handle is approximately 36"

Axe edge from top horn to bottom horn is 8"

Axe head from flat rear of the eye to the axe edge is 6 3/4"

At it's thickest point the axe head on the outside of the eye 1 3/16"

COB is 7 1/2" from top of handle.

This is what I would call a hand and a half axe, a little heavy for one handed use if the hand is close to the end of the handle but one can shorten on'e grip to holding the axe 24" from the top of the handle.

With two hands one can shift grips fluidly to vary the range of a cut and the ease of handling.

One could also hold with a wide grip between the hands to use the handle to block or parry, or to use the top horn at close range to thrust or the bottom horn to hook the rim of a shield.

Depending on strength and technique it can be used one handed but having a shield would probably be essential for any defensive techniques.

It doesn't feel light in one hand but it also doesn't feel ponderous like a tree cutting double tool bit axe in my opinion.

Carl W.

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean - Thanks for the good info & review of the axe Eric made a few years ago. Along with Patrick's pic of it I'd say if you ever decide to part with it, there will be interest! Your review will also help us guess how other Eric-axes may feel in hand.

However & sorry for any confusion, I was asking about the approx size & weight of the Type M that Eric is now making for Patrick.
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 09 Sep, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean: Okay I am defiant about the idea of you parting with it. It's not spell checker. It is me typing with big meat sausages on an iPhone during break. Combination of haste and autocorrect create some interesting sentences. My apologies.

Carl I do not have a functioning scale at present. I'd say it is around 2 pounds. 8" from tip to tip. I'll get more accurate stats soon.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 22 Sep, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The axe arrived today. I'll comment more later, I just wanted to congratulate Eric on a job very well done. This is my third McHugh axe and the best one yet.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 27 Sep, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here we go.

The axe is a real beauty. The head features great geometry and finish, with an 8.5 inch edge measured from horn to horn across the curve. The finish is clean and precise, but there's no mistaking this for a machine made object. It has the soul of a traditionally made, hand forged piece. The haft is one of the nicest two-tone pieces of hickory I've ever seen and measures 4' 10" tall. Eric did a nice job shaping the haft, which features a rounded rectangular cross section and widens slightly towards the butt end. The Larger Type M Axe Eric made for me eight years ago is an impressive piece, this one is even better. It has very light and fast handling qualities and moves almost effortlessly. Great job buddy!

Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 27 Sep, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is very, very nice. I'm curious about the cutting edge. It's thicker than the rest of the axe. Is that because it is a different metal welded onto the rest of the piece, or is it reinforced for strength, or just cosmetic?
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Higher carbon steel is used for the edge, but I don't think this is the primary reason for this geometry. The main reason is to retain a strong robust edge while reducing the overall mass of the head, thereby producing a more dynamic and quicker handling weapon. Looking cool is value added. Big Grin Before the final stages of assembly I had assumed this was going to be a smaller axe, something just slightly larger than a single-handed axe. This is why I've started including photos of me with the weapon in hand in all my review posts, to add a sense of scale not because I think I'm photogenic. Big Grin I had suggested a shorter haft with the small proportion in my mind, but Eric was pretty adamant about this longer length. I have to say, once I had it in hand I immediately realized he was right. I wouldn't change it.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Peterson Type M Axe Recreation (1 of 2)
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: