Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A little Latin help Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jun, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: A little Latin help         Reply with quote

Hello Everyone. I have been teaching myself latin for the past year, and I have a test book that unfortunately, has no answers to its text sections (it is meant for an instructor to give). I was hoping someone here could help me with it.

The story is about a man (Gauius) who is a roman citizen but has been wrongfully forced to labor in the quarries under an evil governor Verres. This passage is talking about what he did and what happened to him after his escape.

...qui tam prope iam Italiam et moenia Reginorum, ciuium Romanorum, uideret, et ex illo metu mortis ac tenebris quasi luce libertatis et odore aliquo legum recreatus reuixisset, loqui messanae et queri coepit se ciuem Roanum in uincla coniectum, sibi recta iter esse Romam, Verri se praesto aduenienti futurum.

what I got so far is...:

since he so close now to Italy and the walls of the Rhegium, citizens of rome, he saw, and that man out of death and darkness he was renewed as if he had been revived by the light of liberty and the smell of another law, at Messina he spoke and began to complain that himself a roman citizen into bondage had been thrown, for him the way to rome to be directly, Verris himself to be about to face once he comes.

That is what I got so far, errors and all. I think I mostly got it until the underlined bit, then I think my translations fall completely apart. Can anyone here help me?

E Pluribus Unum
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jun, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: A little Latin help         Reply with quote

I think there must be someone here in this forum who can help you translate the underlined Latin words, Michael.
“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jun, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would have thought so too, but apparently not.
E Pluribus Unum
Aaron Hoard

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jun, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Google-translate says the underlined part says this:

themselves going straight to Rome , to the advance of the future meet Verres on his

And, it's translation of the entire passage is this:

Italy had already been , and who am so near the walls of the Regini on Roman citizens , he would see , and from that of liberty, and the fear of death , the darkness, as it were, the light of the fragrance of the laws reuixisset , to talk at Messana, and a citizen to complain that he was thrown into prison to Roan , he now going straight to Rome, and he has been on his arrival future .

But, that's probably cheating (and possibly wrong).
A. Elema

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jun, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm, tricky bit of grammar there. I think the problem is that the author made iter the subject of the last bit. I would say the passage goes something like this.

"...he, who seeming [1] now so close to Italy and to the walls of Rhegium, of Roman citizens, had revived from that dread of death and shadow as if restored by the light of liberty and some scent [2] of laws [3], began to speak at Messina and lament that he was a Roman citizen thrown into bondage, [and that] the road directly to Rome was for him, as it would be [4] for the shortly-arriving Verres."

1. Imperfect subjunctive.

2. Aliquo is ablative and thus has to modify odore.

3. That's two nesting subordinate clauses there.

4. Future subjunctive thingy, the proper term for which I have long forgotten.
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jun, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, I agree with your translation for the last part, I am just now starting to work on subjunctives
E Pluribus Unum

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A little Latin help
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic