Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Gaddhjalt came the other day Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joseph C.

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jan, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Albion Gaddhjalt came the other day         Reply with quote

Well, I finally got an Albion sword! Happy I had to wait and save my money, but it was worth it. This is my first replica sword and I have to say that the way it handles reminds me a lot of my antique infantry saber. Overall, I’m pleased with it. Below are specifics.

Why I bought the Gaddhjalt: it was always the sword I would compare the other Albion models to when considering if I wanted to purchase them—it was always, "This one, or the Gaddhjalt"; it reminds me of the sword of Saint Maurice in Vienna, and my birthday is on Saint Maurice Day; the Brazil-nut pommel seemed to be very popular in Germany, and I’m part German; it also has Norwegian influences, and the girl I have the hots for is half Norwegian (and half German); and it was a really good deal on sale. Wink

Condition of the sword when it arrived: no damage or rust; the cross guard had a little bit of some sort of resin on it and the blade looked "freckled" where the oil had dried differently along the blade. Both of those things were very minor, and they cleaned up quickly and easily. In addition, the Gaddhjalt had the "wow factor" when I first laid eyes on it—it still does, in fact.

The things I love: the color of the grip, which is a deep lustrous red; the overall size (both length and width); the shape of the blade which is even more beautiful in person (see additional comments below); the sword’s sense of authority.

Things I am not thrilled with: the width of the grip—it is thin, and not entirely comfortable. It’s the only thing I don’t like about the sword.

How the Gaddhjalt differed from the photos: the point was more acute, the guard not as tapered/spiky, and overall it seemed better proportioned in real life. (Getting good photos of a sword is apparently not easy!)

General comments: I like it; the blade seems to be an inch shorter than stated on Albion’s site (which is not a problem); there’s room for an additional finger on the grip, so it is almost like a hand and a quarter sword (as was mentioned elsewhere on this site); it cuts cardboard well when I get the blade going fast (which I apparently need practice at); and Albion’s customer service really is a good as people say.

Now I just have to save up so that I can purchase a nice, historically accurate scabbard!

I’ll try to take some decent photos and post them soon…

Hosea 4:6a
My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jan, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats on a new sword, sounds great to me! I have been looking at the Gaddhjalt for quite some time, but I can not seem to decide between it and the Hersir. Unfortunately, buying both is not an option...yet. Big Grin

Hope you have fun with your new toy(and play safe, ey Wink ).

Johan Schubert Moen
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jan, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congradulations on your new Albion sword Big Grin

I have the, Baron, Viceroy, Sovereign and Gotland and love them all. I'll have to wait until late in the year for my next but it will be so worth it Cool

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jan, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have been able to handle that model and cut light targets with it a few times.

I think it is sort of a "sleeper". It is a sword style I did not imagine would be to my tastes, but each time I handled it, I enjoyed the sword even more. It's really a fun one, I preferred it over a few of the other single-hander cutters....

Glad you like it and congratulations.

N
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jan, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This was my first Albion Next Generation sword and I like it a lot. I agree that the grip feels a little thin to me too: Also the only thing I might want to change. My Sovereign had a grip that is not that much thicker but seems more comfortable: I think this is due to a very slight bulging of the grip plus the 3 risers at the middle of the grip.

I like the idea of calling this sword as a "Hand and a Quarter" as the grip length does make using the second hand possible if the second hand palms the pommel. It feels very controlable for a powerfull blow but a second hand could help with faster recovery. (The use of a shield make the speed of recovery a little less critical I think.)

I think that this kind of very powerfully cutting long bladed "One hander" probably gave somebody the idea to add just a small amount of weight to the blade and add a couple of inches to the handle and this might have been the origing of the "War Swords" leading to "Hand and a Half" and eventually to the true "Two Handers".

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jan, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This was also my first Albion NG, and my first sword altogether. It really is beautifully proportioned. It's interesting to compare it to the Templar which I also have. Very similar in size but feel very different in the hand.
As you mentioned, it is impossible for a photo to capture the subtleties of the design you can see in person. The parabolic point section is very nicely done, and the crossguard, though simple, is also very attractive.
The grip on the Gaddhjalt is thin, but this is historical. Wearing gloves can make it more comfortable so I hear.
I highly recommend the Gaddhjalt. I own 5 NGs so far (with 2 more coming) and you just can't go wrong with whatever NG sword you pick.

Regards,
Brian M
Joseph C.

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jan, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all for the congratulatory remarks! The sun came out again after many days of being overcast, so I was able to take some pictures. One I've attached here, the rest can be viewed at my Yahoo! photo album.

Attachment: 40.71 KB
myGaddhjalt (3).JPG

Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jan, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Joseph,
Your Gaddhjalt looks great! Your pics show me just how long the grip actually is.
I am wondering- is the grip color the Albion "red". It looks nice. I have avoided this option because on Albion's site it looks almost fire engine red, but your grip seems a bit mottled and darker.
It almost tempts me to get one- though I have the Norman- kind of the Gaddhjalt's shorter brother.
Jeremy
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats on a fine sword Joseph! Good pics too
Joseph C.

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Ben!

Jeremy, the grip is indeed Albion’s red. I was afraid to order oxblood because of the possibility that it could turn out brown. The bright red I figured I could live with, but hoped that Albion’s reputation for darker than normal colors would make it come out a dark red. So, when I first saw the grip on my sword, my thought was, “Perfect!” They really did create a wonderful color of red leather; not tacky or garish at all.

As for buying a Gaddhjalt, don’t you need a sword with a brazil-nut pommel anyway? Big Grin I know after owning the spike-hilt, I have started to think more fondly of the Norman. Those tapering type Xa’s are great! (Although, justifying two swords with almost the same blade is a little tough.)

Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrat's on a fine looking sword Joseph, Cool
As Ben said nice pic,
One of these days i'm really going to have to order a sword from these guy's,
But boy is the choice huge, Eek!
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Joseph. The Gaddjhalt is a fine sword and the brazil nut pommel is one of my favorites. This sword is on my short list of future purchases.

Enjoy.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jan, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joseph C. wrote:
Thanks, Ben!
(Although, justifying two swords with almost the same blade is a little tough.)

The excuse could be one (or all) of the following:

1: overall length is different.
2. Hilts are different.
3. Handle differently
4. Grips are different color Laughing Out Loud
etc.

And since when do we need to justify a sword purchase. I usually need an excuse not to buy one, like "I do not have the money", or "my wife will kill me" Laughing Out Loud

Alexi

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Gaddhjalt came the other day
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic