Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei Scottish Basket Hilted Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jacob Cash

PostPosted: Wed 08 Apr, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Hanwei Scottish Basket Hilted Sword         Reply with quote

Hey guys, I recently came across a video that Skallagrim put up online, and in it, he was cutting bottles with a basket hilted broadsword by Hanwei. I was wondering if anyone had one of these, and if it was a good sword for the money. It's under $300, and I'm somewhat itching to start my collection, as my birthday is at the end of the month. I don't want to impulse buy this sword without at least some feedback.

Can anyone comment on Hanwei's build quality in general?

Thanks

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SH2002 Here is a link to the sword in question.

"Keep sharp both blade and mind."
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2015 3:35 am    Post subject: Hanwei Scottish Basket-hilted Sword         Reply with quote

I can't comment on Hanwei's built quality since I don't have any sword, including this one.
Let's ask someone who owns Hanwei basket-hilted swords.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hanwei Scottish Basket Hilted Sword         Reply with quote

Jacob Cash wrote:
Hey guys, I recently came across a video that Skallagrim put up online, and in it, he was cutting bottles with a basket hilted broadsword by Hanwei. I was wondering if anyone had one of these, and if it was a good sword for the money. It's under $300, and I'm somewhat itching to start my collection, as my birthday is at the end of the month. I don't want to impulse buy this sword without at least some feedback.

Can anyone comment on Hanwei's build quality in general?

Thanks

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SH2002 Here is a link to the sword in question.

I have one of the broadswords, one of the backswords, a mortuary hilt, court sword and an antiqued two hander built by Hanwei. I have been satisfied with all mine (I used to be a dealer) but, and here is the caveat, I have not used them for cutting. You will find a lot of posts on this forum over several years discussing the merits of these swords including no small amount of criticism of their durability. I have disassembled a couple of the broadswords and found them to be fairly sturdy but, again, I have not used them for cutting. The tang is not peened on the sharp version. The Lowlander two hander with its rat tail tang is the one I would think most likely to be damaged in use but the last few I examined indicated that Hanwei had addressed the issue somewhat and thickened the tang. The thing is, any sword can break when used for cutting or by a person unskilled in cutting, including some very expensive custom made swords.

As far as quality, it is solidly put together but blade heavy. The sword is heavy overall, compared to say an Armour Class broadsword, at just over three pounds. The blade is carbon steel. The basket is made of stainless steel which is a turnoff for a lot of folks but never bothered me. The basket resembles a Glasgow made hilt and is far too large which is a problem with most mass produced basket hilts. The grip is covered in rayskin and wire-wrapped. The sheath is wood covered in leather which is not authentic. You will also note that the locket is on the inside of the sheath rather than the outside. I asked them about that once and they said that was the way the original was made which I very much doubt but what are you going to do?

I have attached a photo of a custom made S hilt by Donnie Shearer. It cost a lot more than your budget but include it to show what you can work up to as far as your collection goes. At this point the Hanwei broadsword would be a good starting point for you. The price is reasonable and it looks good. Just be aware of its shortcomings and potential for damage in use - and who knows, you might using for cutting for years without issue - and you will be fine.

Attachment: 118.43 KB
DS s Hilt II.jpg

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Neal Matheson

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin gave a great answer. I have owned quite a few basket hilts over the years including a "practical" version of one of these. I have handled this sword too. Armour class make some fine basket hilts for a decent price and are very accommodating wait times are lengthy but usually worth it. ly

I'd probably wait a bit and get a sword you'll be satisfied with for years.

As Lin has said hilts are big on most modern reproductions.

http://www.seeknottheancestors.com/
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neal gives good advice. You might want to look at Armour Class. I have one of their S hilts and it is light, well-balanced and reasonably authentic. The price is over double the Hanwei but, as always, you get what you pay for and the Armour Class sword is definitely worth the cost. I think I waited about two months for mine which was not a long time.

Good luck...I am sure you will find something to make you happy. When I first started collecting over thirty years ago there was little variety in reproduction swords unless you wanted a custom made blade. Now things have changed for the better in that department.

Armour Class S Hilt pictured below.

Attachment: 17.59 KB
Big-Hex-Brown.jpg

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hanwei is a decent baskethilt for the money. At a higher price, I would be very tempted to save for a Danelli armouries baskethilt:
http://www.danelliarmouries.com/index.php/cus...mitstart=0

Btw, Windlass Eglinton is also supposedly a decent sword: http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-2435-eglinton...sword.aspx
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Hanwei is a decent baskethilt for the money. At a higher price, I would be very tempted to save for a Danelli armouries baskethilt:
http://www.danelliarmouries.com/index.php/cus...mitstart=0

Btw, Windlass Eglinton is also supposedly a decent sword: http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-2435-eglinton...sword.aspx

Luka...

I have one of the Eglinton swords. It is actually pretty nice but the basket is huge. The post-Culloden swords usually had a larger basket than earlier pieces but this one is much larger than the original. Still, it looks very good and the weight and balance are not too bad. That could be an option for Jacob since it can be had with a sharpened edge. Photo below along with a comparison photo next to my Shearer S Hilt.

Attachment: 50.87 KB
Eglinton Sword II.jpeg

Attachment: 44.62 KB
Eglinton Sword IV.jpeg

Lin Robinson

Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the Hanwei double-edged broadsword, with an antiqued hilt. The blade is absolutely massive and heavy-- with the mass of the basket, it's one sizeable sword. Not impossible to use but certainly doesn't come up to snuff. The primary problem is that the blade has poor distal taper for its size, so it's very weight-forward and slightly 'floppy'. If it was thinned down considerably it would be far better. This would be an easy enough operation to do as it's a hexagonal cross-section; simply draw-file down the flat. The sharpness is quite respectable, though, and while the scabbard is cheap it's reasonable enough. Construction of the hilt is fine, although there's something of a sharp edge at the disk where it meets the screw-down pommel; I plan to round that off one of these days.

The 'Cromwell' basket-hilt is supposed to be a much better sword, with the Scottish backsword being next best.The double-edge Scottish is regrettable... but I like it anyway, 'cause it's MINE Happy
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My backsword weight 2lbs 9 oz. and handles much better than the broadsword. The one I have has the antique finish on the basket, which I believe Hanwei has discontinued except for the practical line of these swords. The balance point "seems" closer to the hilt than that of the broadsword. Any way, I like it also, although the light brown leather of the sheath is something of a turnoff - and the basket is too big.
Lin Robinson

David Wilson

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I too have one of the Hanwei Basket-hilt broadswords. There's not much I can add. Definitely blade heavy, and I find the grip is much too skinny for my preference. I would not compare it to a higher-quality reproduction, let alone an original, the majority of which I've handled are very well-balanced. However, considering the price, it's not too bad. I use mine as a wall-hanger, so I can't tell you how it cuts. I also have one of the Cromwell swords, it is much better in terms of weight and handling.
David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei Scottish Basket Hilted Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic