Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your next sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Michael J H

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Your next sword         Reply with quote

What is it that you want next for your collection? It can be anything! A sword, a scabbard, a polearm, whatever your heart desires.

Tell us what you're saving for, and why.
J. K. Byrnes

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a customized 15006 Lutel coming, should be here in August time frame. A Regenyei customized Montante sized sword (160 CM OA), and talking to A&A about a custom longsword. I also have a Chlebowski Feder being worked on. Amazing how much extra cash I have now that I am done with the Shelby.

Had them lengthen the hilt for me, use the s cross guard.

Regenyei Montante/Two Hander:

different cross and longer hilt, 115 cm blade length.

Chlebowski Feder:
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My commission with Patrick Barta is going to be in either April or May. I hope the Dollar stays as good as it is against the Euro until then!!!!! I'll be getting a type T viking sword with a scabbard and belt made by Patrick. I've been tallking to Petr Florianek about a seax too, and to A&A about an 11th century sword.... Should be a good year for me!
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2015 3:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A custom type XI with a slightly atypical down curved (just a little) cross guard.
The church is near but the roads are icy. The tavern is far but I will walk carefully. - Russian Proverb
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryan Heff wrote:
A custom type XI with a slightly atypical down curved (just a little) cross guard.

Big like!

I am picking up an M1822 French light cavalry saber today and that is going to eat away all of my cash available for swords for some time. I would like to get a bastard or a longsword next as all swords in my collection at the moment are singlehanders except one huge twohander, but I'm not sure when will I be able to get it and will it be a XIIa/XIIIa greatsword or a true cut and thrust longsword from slightly later period. And there is always a possibility that I will get sidetracked by an earlier medieval/viking singlehander again. I can't really resist them.
Kuo Xie

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was looking for a lighter XIIa war sword to wear with an early 14th century kit, and I had heard great things about Valiant Armory's new line. The Savoy had the perfect specs, but I wasn't a fan of the flared cutout cross: http://www.valiant-armoury.com/catalog/txt_VA120SE.html . Sonny Suttles agreed to swap out the cross for a plain, straight cross bar which to me is more typical of the period.

The belt will be a custom integral belt similar to this one: https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/s720x720/10648484_698740806869212_6726666737519013969_o.jpg
Johannes Zenker

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I ordered a custom complex-hilted sword from Vladimir Cervenka about half a year ago. While he was held up it should be drawing close to being finished in April. It's basically this sword http://www.sword.cz/detail5c.htm with the quillons and pommel of this sword from almost the same period and similar region: http://www.sword.cz/detail11.htm

After that my wife and I have an order placed with Marco Danelli for two HEMA swords. An arming sword for her and a rather special schiavona-hilted long sword for me.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 24 Mar, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm in a not-buying-any-swords mode right now (we'll see how long that lasts) If I was buying, I would probably be getting a Valiant Armory sword (Malatesta?) or an Albion Maestro Liechtenauer or a Regenyei longsword.
Frank Anthony Cannarella

PostPosted: Tue 24 Mar, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really want Albions Decurio as a bare blade for my next migration sword. If I get the job I want next year,I might just do it or order a pattern welded blade from Paul Binns if I can talk him and my wife into it. Wink
Populus stultus viris indignis honores saepe dat.
-Quintus Horatius Flaccus
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Wed 25 Mar, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I'm in a not-buying-any-swords mode right now (we'll see how long that lasts) If I was buying, I would probably be getting a Valiant Armory sword (Malatesta?) or an Albion Maestro Liechtenauer or a Regenyei longsword.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I had a commission lined up for a Scottish Basket hilt, and was in early discussions about a high medieval blade, but these got put on indefinite hold after some unexpected expenses related to our new home.

This pause has led to a minor existential crisis about where and how to invest my hobby dollars in the next few years.
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Wed 25 Mar, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks like Albion's The Ritter will be next up for me.
myArmoury review here:
http://www.myArmoury.com/review_alb_ritter.html

Jon

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...ter-xi.htm

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Wed 25 Mar, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I hope to see some pics from you guys, especially Tim Lison and Johannes' swords! And I hope those of you getting Valiant Armoury swords write some reviews, I think Sonny has an exciting thing going on.

This is so far looking to be the year of the scabbard for me. I have two being made at A&A and just started a very exciting piece with Christian Fletcher for an A&A Anglo-Saxon which will have some very great things I don't think anyone has done yet.

New swords I have ordered an Albion Gallowglass and after I play with that one for a while I would like a nice scabbard for it also.

Still dreaming about a Burridge Bronze, probably the Mindleheim, hopefully I can begin the order this summer.

I am also working towards a seax from another myArmoury member and feel fortunate to have the opportunity to get it.

I'm pretty excited about these scabbards and will make some threads about them when they arrive.

A&A have these beautiful polearms and I would love to begin a commission on a Barta spatha or a Robert Moc piece but I have to get the swords I have some clothes first!
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 26 Mar, 2015 4:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My next sword will hopefully be an English cavalry sword from the 1700s. But with antiques, you take what you find. In 2013 I added two English cav swords to the collection, but in 2014, nothing. We'll see how 2015 goes.

--ElJay
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 26 Mar, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Nicolaysen wrote:
Well I hope to see some pics from you guys, especially Tim Lison

You most definitely will, once they are done!
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Thu 26 Mar, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
I got a kriegsmesser (sharp) ordered from Pavel Moc by way of Arma Bohemia,and I`am on the books for a walloon
( I guess you`d call it a walloon) like in the pic,from Vladimir Cervenka.

Attachment: 80.56 KB
mm43v2.jpg

Attachment: 35.98 KB
1.jpg

J. K. Byrnes

PostPosted: Thu 26 Mar, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Love the Kriegsmesser! Outstanding!
Kuo Xie

PostPosted: Fri 27 Mar, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Nicolaysen wrote:
Well I hope to see some pics from you guys, especially Tim Lison and Johannes' swords! And I hope those of you getting Valiant Armoury swords write some reviews, I think Sonny has an exciting thing going on.

Sure, I'll be happy to review the Savoy when it comes in. If the weather ever warms up here I'll be able to take it out on the patio for some good photos too.
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Karl Knisley wrote:
Hello
I got a kriegsmesser (sharp) ordered from Pavel Moc by way of Arma Bohemia,and I`am on the books for a walloon

I wouldn't call that a Walloon, I'd say it's more of a sidesword. Is that blade going to be hollow ground? I would love to see pics of it when it arrives!

inkothemgard!
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Morgan Butler wrote:
Karl Knisley wrote:
Hello

I wouldn't call that a Walloon, I'd say it's more of a sidesword. Is that blade going to be hollow ground? I would love to see pics of it when it arrives!

You may be right. but isnt the common denominator of wallons the thumb ring? I think it will be hollow ground with a spine down the blade.
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Hargis wrote:
It looks like Albion's The Ritter will be next up for me.

You have excellent taste in weapons.

My next sword is a Viking Type X that I saw in one of Oakshott's books. I placed a special order with A&A. It is very similar to the Albion Gaddhjalt and this Type X on A&A's muster page:

Except mine will have a much wider Viking-style fuller like the sword in Oakeshott's book. I love the long, thin, simple gaddhjalt spike crossguard and the wide fuller. Something about the proportions of the sword are aethetically pleasing.

And I don't yet have a brazil nut sword, can you believe that?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your next sword
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: