Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sabre. Wilkinson. USA. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Atik Nasrylla

PostPosted: Thu 05 Mar, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Sabre. Wilkinson. USA.         Reply with quote

Please tell us about this saber. What year? Her story? Is this a rare sword? price?

Attachment: 153.18 KB
IMG-20150305-WA0049.jpg

Attachment: 114.76 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 133.07 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 107.07 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 126.37 KB
[ Download ]
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 05 Mar, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is based on the British Pattern 1925 Royal Air Force Officer's Sword, but based on the emblem it does not appear to be British. Many countries adopted swords based on British patterns--I do not recognize the nationality of this sword. The Pattern 1925 RAF Officer's Sword is still the regulation sword for RAF Officers. Wilkinson were British sword makers and were highly regarded. The stamping on the blade looks too sloppy to be their work, but I suppose it is possible. Another possibility is that the stamping was added later to lend prestige to the sword.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 05 Mar, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is a Chilean Air Force sword. See this article from Weatherly, now hosted on a number of sites
http://www.cutandparry.com/92_weatherly_swords.pdf

There is also a small sword dress type with the same star over eagle. I cannot give a specific date but would defer to research of the Chilean air force. I saw one go through ebay without a scabbard at less than $200. Post WWI I would venture to guess.
http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/waf/americas/chil...f-home.htm

There is an outside chance it is a Chinese fake but there are usually other traits pointing to that.

It is amazing how much like this bird is to earlier swords such as my Wooley&Deakin from the early 19th century.

Cheers

GC

eagles 'R' us
Willy M

PostPosted: Thu 05 Mar, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Definitely not a Wilkinson. The Chinese have made much better copies and add the patina, too heavily applied it seems.
In this case the dark brown patina next to dull brass and the lack of crisp detail points to a Chinese copy.
The oval with the eagle is not centred. The guard is not curved properly but bent at a 90° and flat where it should curve.

You have not shown the blades etching, this will also tell us more about the sword, the Chinese can never seem to get that right.

There are high points where there should be no heavy patina yet there is dark brown. Just doesn't add up.
The heavy wear on the eagle suggests a poor sand cast and then it was sanded down to remove bad or rough details.
More tell tale signs of a copy.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are several other things aside from the Wilkinson and finish that should add up to it being Chinese. What should be an ancanthus wreath instead of a a blank circle and scroll. The scabbard fittings and blade profile.

A lot of times it is like playing blind mans bluff.

Cheers

GC
Atik Nasrylla

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Sabre. Wilkinson. USA.         Reply with quote

Atik Nasrylla wrote:
Please tell us about this saber. What year? Her story? Is this a rare sword? price?

Attachment: 230.28 KB
[ Download ]
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suspect that any Wilkinson employee who stamped their name so sloppily into a blade would face instant dismissal Happy The "I's used are obviously from a larger set of letter stamps to all the other letters.
Matt Easton

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm afraid that this has Chinese fake written all over it Sad
Matt

Schola Gladiatoria - www.swordfightinglondon.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria
Antique Swords: www.antique-swords.co.uk/
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Sabre. Wilkinson. USA.         Reply with quote

This is how the Chilean Air Force sword looks like (Not a fake and made by Windlass):

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Willy M

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As Shahril points out that makers of sword replicas are now getting some standing as dress and parade sword makers.

Where Indian made copies years ago were relatively poor look a likes now they have become better copies and due to price restraints of some militarys, have now been purchased to be issue swords.

Also lack of sources of authentic swords has dried up finding virtually all companies making their swords in India.

Replica swords are replacing and becoming modern authentic swords: http://www.militaryheritage.com/swords2.htm

Here is a traditional maker: http://www.wkc-solingen.de/newshop/wkcguide.html their swords are higher value and price.

Since swords are seen as just an overpriced part of a uniform some militarys purchase sword replicas at a third of the cost rather than to purchase a WKC or similar sword.

Then you have Pooley and Crisps that are priced comparable to WKC but I believe their swords are made in India also.

So just what is a modern authentic sword?
Atik Nasrylla

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sabre. Wilkinson. USA.         Reply with quote

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
It is based on the British Pattern 1925 Royal Air Force Officer's Sword, but based on the emblem it does not appear to be British. Many countries adopted swords based on British patterns--I do not recognize the nationality of this sword. The Pattern 1925 RAF Officer's Sword is still the regulation sword for RAF Officers. Wilkinson were British sword makers and were highly regarded. The stamping on the blade looks too sloppy to be their work, but I suppose it is possible. Another possibility is that the stamping was added later to lend prestige to the sword.

Thank you all!
Atik Nasrylla

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Willy M wrote:
Definitely not a Wilkinson. The Chinese have made much better copies and add the patina, too heavily applied it seems.
In this case the dark brown patina next to dull brass and the lack of crisp detail points to a Chinese copy.
The oval with the eagle is not centred. The guard is not curved properly but bent at a 90° and flat where it should curve.

You have not shown the blades etching, this will also tell us more about the sword, the Chinese can never seem to get that right.

There are high points where there should be no heavy patina yet there is dark brown. Just doesn't add up.
The heavy wear on the eagle suggests a poor sand cast and then it was sanded down to remove bad or rough details.
More tell tale signs of a copy.

Thank you all!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sabre. Wilkinson. USA.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic