Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword of Estorre Visconti, Lord of Milan Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Sword of Estorre Visconti, Lord of Milan         Reply with quote

I'll take this opportunity to share with you some photos of the sword of Estorre Visconti, Lord of Milan, circa 1413.

This is the same sword that Del Tin replicated and calls their model DT2150. It can be seen in Chad's Collection Gallery.

Click on any photo for the high-resolution version

Here is the text, in Italian, describing the above photos. Please take note of the numbers in square brackets. These are measurements, in metric units, of aspects of the sword.

And a Web translation (only marginally useful) of the same text:

Web Translation wrote:
Knob to pear divided from four ribbings in as many rigonfi, that they have their overflow marked from one sgusciata list; and closed up from a rosette d'argento slap with twelve elements puttinges to day, and from a button to I add. On the faces principal! badges are alternated d'argento: that front one brings bulinate the crews of Milan (d'argento alia cross of red) and 1'altro the visconteo biscione. Streamlined, wrapped grip in golden, put thread of branch gia to trecciole; 1'elso it has the long arms to rumble section leggermente outlines to you towards the bottom; they are shrunk to the estremita one, folded all'ingiu. The cruise conserve goal of the cappetta in silver sheet, hurled and bulinata to turns them sluices from one bordura worked to treccia. Blade to section of losanga, strongly to the triangular heel and £ much heavy one in relationship to the dimensions. It comes from the tomba of Estorre.
[890 X 209; 708 X 49; 1525]

One knows that the sword came recovered beside the mummificato body of a man whom it had 1'osso of the broken left leg, and that it brought also it begins them them "HV". Estorre besieged Visconti morl in Monza, for projects them of stone that broke off it the left leg, and use Latin the Hestor name, that how much with the figure is come to an agreement as well as with the conditions of the emains that appeared on the sword. This figure visible, and and not and today probable therefore that it was affected the goal of cappetta the hour passing. The treccia that it adorns 1'altra part of the cappetta and be interpreted like a test that Estorre Visconti was member of the Company of the Treccia, one consorteria instituted cavalleresca dall'arciduca Alberto III d'Austria, brother-in-law of a sorellastra of probable Estorre. £ that the coats of arms indicate the current ratio between Milan and the Visconti, and not the short personal lordship of Estorre. II knob and much similar to that one of one sword gia in the Dreger Collection to Berlin, coming from from the family Citadel of Padova. II type and widely documented in Italy, species in that Northerner, as an example in the Saint George of the Castle of Fenis, in Val d'Aosta, and on the figures of the Prodi in the Castle of the Manta, neighbor to Wedge, datable at the beginning of the 1400's, nell'Adorazione of the Magi di Gentile from Fabriano hour to the Uffizi, of 1423, in the figures of saint George ritratte from the Pisanello on the tablet of the National Gallery and sull'affresco of Anastasia Saint to Verona.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Take note that according the previous records, the original sword's stats are this:

Overall: 890mm x 209mm (35 inches x 8.25 inches)
Blade: 708mm x 49mm (27.875 inches x 1.93 inches)
Weight: 1525 grams (3.36 pounds).

Chad Arnow's Del Tin version:

Overall: 921mm x 216mm (36.25 inches x 8.5 inches)
Blade: 737mm x 54mm (29 inches x 2.125 inches)
Weight: 1588 grams (3.5 pounds)

Photo of the DT 2150:

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Take note that according the previous records, the original sword's stats are this:

Overall: 890mm x 209mm (35 inches x 8.25 inches)
Blade: 708mm x 49mm (27.875 inches x 1.93 inches)
Weight: 1525 grams (3.36 pounds).

Chad Arnow's Del Tin version:

Overall: 921mm x 216mm (36.25 inches x 8.5 inches)
Blade: 737mm x 54mm (29 inches x 2.125 inches)
Weight: 1588 grams (3.5 pounds)

Thanks for posting this, Nathan. I'm surprised that the Del Tin is as close in weight to the original as it is. But then again, Oakeshott does call some Type XV's "rather heavy." I assumed the original was lighter.

The Del Tin is a fairly close copy, but misses subtleties of the original and is generally a little larger. The top of the DT pommel is flat, not domed. It also lacks the decorative rosette. The DT also has only 2 shields, one on front and one on back, where the original has one on each face. Nonetheless, the DT is a nice sword with some nice detail for a production sword.

For anyone curious, there are more pictures in one of my picture albums (http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/thumbnails.php?album=90).

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's one of my favorite shots of the hilt:

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/6975.html

(topic edited for correct URL- nathan)

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry about the 11 years old thread necromancy.

Is there any more information on this sword? The point of balance, point of percussion and the distal tapers? This sword was over 3.3lb, was it made this heavy for a specific purpose?

Thanks
Matt Easton

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a couple more photos in my gallery here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/115323771323194185835/albums?banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1#photos/115323771323194185835/albums/5752122888908134657

They don't allow photos in the museum, but I'm a maverick...........

Matt

Schola Gladiatoria - www.swordfightinglondon.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria
Antique Swords: www.antique-swords.co.uk/
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lol thanks
Matt Easton

PostPosted: Thu 12 Mar, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In regards to the weight of this sword - 3.3lbs isn't especially heavy - at least one of the arming swords in the Wallace Collection (A460) weighs about the same. But the sword of Ettore Visconti is almost a mini-longsword in proportions, having quite a long hilt for the overall size. The blade is very thick all the way down and to me this is an armour-piercing sword, designed with stabbing through padding and mail in mind. Think of it more like a skewer.
Schola Gladiatoria - www.swordfightinglondon.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria
Antique Swords: www.antique-swords.co.uk/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword of Estorre Visconti, Lord of Milan
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic