Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Item in Met Museum Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Item in Met Museum         Reply with quote

Not strictly arms or armour so I've put it here.

Does anyone have a colour image of this beauty?

http://www.metmuseum.org/collection/the-colle...&pos=8

I need to replicate a banner with a griffin on (no prizes for guessing why....) and this seems like a great source to use.

Thanks in advance...

Griff

Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Item in Met Museum         Reply with quote

I don't have a colour image of this griffin banner.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Mark T

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Grif,

Had a spare moment, so attempted some Google-fu ... no joy, but I did find this Pinterest board of images of Griffins, in case you haven't seen it: https://www.pinterest.com/slainemary/griffins/

Some great stuff in there, including this parade shield in the V&A:

Good luck!

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

haha, yes its a wallpaper on my laptop! for some reason I have a lot of Griffin images stored up...
Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Michael Parker

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would guess that there is not a color image of that banner if it isn't already up on the web. While all the objects in the Met A & A collection have to be looked at at least once every five years when they take inventory, the project to get hi-res color photographs of everything in the collection and put them online is a work in progress that I imagine might take several years. That piece came with the collection of Wiliam H. Riggs when he donated it in 1913. I don't know if the photograph is quite that old, but I bet it's been a long time since somebody took it out and studied it, much less took good photographs. Banners, belts, and other doodads are not as sexy as weapons, so it's probably not at the top of the queue.
"This is a sharp medicine, but it is a physician for all diseases and miseries."
-Sir Walter Raleigh, upon being allowed to see the ax that would behead him, 29 October 1618

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Item in Met Museum
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic