Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Fashion: Carrying Sheathed Sword In Hand. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Max Ronnby

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Fashion: Carrying Sheathed Sword In Hand.         Reply with quote

So, it is featured in Fiore as an assumed starting point for self defense.
I have also seen it in several images here and there, and I think I read about it here too(but searching gives me nothing)
I am looking for the images in Fiore, and any other that may exist.
As well as any information on when and where, maybe even why, if possible. Perhaps someone here has a set of images, or a link to somewhere.

To clarify: The fashion of carrying your sword sheathed in its scabbard, belt wrapped around the scabbard, holding it in your hand(s)!

I am asking because I seem to be unable to find the images again, and my searches are fruitless.
Thank you on beforehand. Happy
Max Ronnby

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was able to find the Fiore plays through Wiktenauer, something I should've known.
And a friend sent me images from 12th/13th century, however those seem to be in a judicial setting, while I'm looking for a civilian one... One could speculate that the fashion originated from there and evolved, perhaps? Hmm.

I'll add the images in a little while. Happy
Marik C.S.

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I doubt there is much fashion to it, it's most likely a thing of convenience.

There are so many situations where you can find yourself in a bad spot with a sword in hand rather than on your belt and wrapping the belt around the scabbard is just neat and tidy. You don't want it to get caught on something or tangle up.

I can't see many people walking around with a sword in hand all day long, most people use their hands quite a lot so they want to keep them free unless actively carrying something.

Europe - Where the History comes from. - Eddie Izzard
Max Ronnby

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marik C.S., your point is logical, which sometimes fashion is not.
Handbags without handles or straps exist. walking canes that cannot support weight, only carried for show.

One specific image I have been unable to find pictured two men, at least one with a basilard and the sword carried like that.
I just have a feeling it might've been more than "I happen to have it like that" and more... Flaunting, a abit, perhaps? Or it might have some significance I do not see.

Max Ronnby

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here we have the Fiore plays.

Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Max Ronnby wrote:
Marik C.S., your point is logical, which sometimes fashion is not.
Handbags without handles or straps exist. walking canes that cannot support weight, only carried for show.

One specific image I have been unable to find pictured two men, at least one with a basilard and the sword carried like that.
I just have a feeling it might've been more than "I happen to have it like that" and more... Flaunting, a abit, perhaps? Or it might have some significance I do not see.

All those images have in common is that all those people are in situation were they can afford to have one hand occupied or and non threatening situations. also it is possible that they have straps for their scabbards, they has, for some reason, decided to remove them. There many daily situations which require both hands to be free and many that don't, eating and drinking, riding a horse, farmwork for to hands, standing around in crowd during a coronation, just going around a town stroll don't. Also there are many technique you can deploy to defend yourself with sword in hand, so it is not a completely impractical thing.
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wearing a long scabbard can be quite awkward in crowds and constrained spaces, or when you have to sit down, etc. Sometimes it's just plain more convenient to carry it in the hand so it doesn't keep getting in your way and smacking everyone around you.
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Fashion: Carrying Sheathed Sword In Hand.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic