Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Information on this two-hander? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Will C.

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Information on this two-hander?         Reply with quote

Can someone help identify this two hander? Not the manufacturer but the style such as time period and culture.

Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess it should represent a first half of the 16th century Italian twohander. Looks nice.
Neil Melville

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I reckon Luka has it about right - style most likely Italian, c.1500+. But is it original or a replica? Any blade marks?
Can you give us its dimensions: length overall, blade, width of cross, weight ?
Neil

N Melville
Eric W. Norenberg

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! Where on earth did you find that? It looks like (assuming it is a recent reproduction) Del Tin hilt components mated to an elongated version of the Windlass/MRL long sword / "Roven" blade. The termination of the ricasso & shorter fullers are very like the current Windlass sword...

Are we looking at some Del Tin / MRL prototype or one-off? Maybe some lost love child from the Hank Reinhardt+Fulvio Del Tin golden age?
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i was also going to say, that looks like a version of the del tin Italian two hander. very nice looking beast.

Italian or Swiss would be my opinion - I never read too deeply into the subject of where a particular two handed design may have come from, but that's just me and others here have a better idea of a cultural style.

on the other hand, I do feel like this would be considered an early two handed sword. there's an absence of quillon rings, and the blade doesn't have any parrying lugs - which you see much more present on examples that I've seen dated to the 1530s. time period wise I'd think this would be a sword seen at the beginning of the big sword evolution of two handers, because of those missing attributes.
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Wed 11 Feb, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Type XX styled two handers go back as early as 1320. Check out the article under Features.
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Eric W. Norenberg

PostPosted: Thu 12 Feb, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew P. Adams wrote:
Type XX styled two handers go back as early as 1320. Check out the article under Features.

Ya but type XX is a weird, vaguely defined bunch over the attributed time span. That ricasso form seems to start up in the early 15th C., and the hilt furniture on the sword in question here almost certainly doesn't belong to the 14th C. at all.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 12 Feb, 2015 2:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Wallace wrote:
i was also going to say, that looks like a version of the del tin Italian two hander. very nice looking beast.

Italian or Swiss would be my opinion - I never read too deeply into the subject of where a particular two handed design may have come from, but that's just me and others here have a better idea of a cultural style.

on the other hand, I do feel like this would be considered an early two handed sword. there's an absence of quillon rings, and the blade doesn't have any parrying lugs - which you see much more present on examples that I've seen dated to the 1530s. time period wise I'd think this would be a sword seen at the beginning of the big sword evolution of two handers, because of those missing attributes.

I tried to research the Swiss two handers as deeply as possible and it is a hard subject with not a lot legit info, but I what I got a quite good idea about are their hilts. Happy Swiss twohander hilts are very typical, with pommels of very mushroomy shape, and crossguards are either straight or S recurved but most often also have these mushroomy ends similar to their pommels. Fittings may be written in the german style, but smooth are more usual. Basically, what I want to say is that this sword doesn't look typically swiss. It could be, but it has far more italian features. Wink Check here for some typical examples:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...highlight=
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Thu 12 Feb, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good points Eric. That ricasso set up and furniture do look like the later style.
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Vincent C

PostPosted: Thu 12 Feb, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's this one.

http://www.wulflund.com/weapons/swords/mediev...sword.html

Honor, compassion, knowledge.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Information on this two-hander?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic