Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword identification Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ivan Strižic

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Sword identification         Reply with quote

Greetings.
My grandfather left me this sword. Can anyone give me more information about it. All I know is that it's turkish.

Thanks.
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks like you have a very nice piece there. Unfortunately I don't know much about it, but apart from the handle, which looks a little strange to me (like rubber or plastic? perhaps it is just the photograph) it looks fairly authentic for a Turkish scimitar.

I strongly recommend you try posting on the Ethnographic Arms forum at Vikingsword.com. They are very knowledgeable and helpful people over there.

Either way, thank you for posting this Happy
Ivan Strižic

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
It looks like you have a very nice piece there. Unfortunately I don't know much about it, but apart from the handle, which looks a little strange to me (like rubber or plastic? perhaps it is just the photograph) it looks fairly authentic for a Turkish scimitar.

I strongly recommend you try posting on the Ethnographic Arms forum at Vikingsword.com. They are very knowledgeable and helpful people over there.

Either way, thank you for posting this Happy

Handle is pure metal. I sent the request for registration to vikingsword and thank you for advice.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Sword identification         Reply with quote

Yes, this sword is from Turkey, not Arabia, but it ended up in your country, Ivan.
This weapon perhaps takes us back to the days of the Ottoman Empire, when the territory of modern Croatia came under Ottoman Turkish rule. Today Turkish swords can still be found in museums throughout the Balkans.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Sword identification         Reply with quote

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:

Yes, this sword is from Turkey, not Arabia, but it ended up in your country, Ivan.
This weapon perhaps takes us back to the days of the Ottoman Empire, when the territory of modern Croatia came under Ottoman Turkish rule. Today Turkish swords can still be found in museums throughout the Balkans.

One slight correction, only part of both modern and old Croatia came under Turkish rule, never the whole country. Wink
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Sword identification         Reply with quote

I am sorry Luka. I thought the whole territory of modern Croatia was under Turkish rule back then. I was wrong. Mad
“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sword identification         Reply with quote

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
I am sorry Luka. I thought the whole territory of modern Croatia was under Turkish rule back then. I was wrong. Mad

No problem, a lot of people don't really know much about history od these areas... Wink
Robert MacPherson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ivan Strižic wrote:

Handle is pure metal. I sent the request for registration to vikingsword and thank you for advice.

Ivan,

Have the folks at Vikingsword gotten back to you yet? I asked to join just after you posted this and have not heard back from them.

Come to think of it.... they did not write back to me when I asked to join last year either. Worried

Mac

Robert MacPherson
http://www.lightlink.com/armory/
http://billyandcharlie.com/
Ivan Strižic

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert MacPherson wrote:
Ivan Strižic wrote:

Ivan,

Have the folks at Vikingsword gotten back to you yet? I asked to join just after you posted this and have not heard back from them.

Come to think of it.... they did not write back to me when I asked to join last year either. Worried

Mac

No.
Robert MacPherson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anyone here have experience with the Vikingsword people? Are they just being slack..... or is it a very exclusive club, and Ivan and I do not make the cut?

Mac

Robert MacPherson
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My understanding is that as one of the smaller corners of the Internet, it doesn't get much action apart from the dedicated members. The site owner or admins may have gone their merry ways. I'm on a forum like that elsewhere, the owner left it long ago but fortunately he was able to give one of the admins the power to approve new members, so that's not an issue. It may be with Vikingsword, though.

I won't speculate further but now that I know this, I won't recommend it again until I hear they're approving new members...
Robert MacPherson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you, Jeffrey!

Is anyone here a member of the Vikingsword forum? If so, it would be a great kindness if you would write to one of the moderators and ask what's up with membership requests.

Thanks!
Mac

Robert MacPherson
Ivan Strižic

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My acc got activated on vikingswords but their forum is weird. I can't even post a thread, it seems admin has to approve everything which I find very odd.
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert MacPherson wrote:
Thank you, Jeffrey!

Is anyone here a member of the Vikingsword forum? If so, it would be a great kindness if you would write to one of the moderators and ask what's up with membership requests.

Thanks!
Mac

Mac, I am a member, if you need help with them let me know.
Eric S

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ivan Strižic wrote:
My acc got activated on vikingswords but their forum is weird. I can't even post a thread, it seems admin has to approve everything which I find very odd.
Ivan, only your first few posts have to be reviewed before they will post. I suppose this is an anti-spam measure.
Eric S

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This sword has some potential, I suggest you somehow obtain a much better camera and take new images, The sword should be laid on a solid backround with good lighting, full length and close up detailed images of all the important aspects will make it much easier for people to give you accurate information, with the images you have provided I can not even tell if the blade is damascus steel or not.

Ivan Strižic

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric S wrote:
Ivan Strižic wrote:
Ivan, only your first few posts have to be reviewed before they will post. I suppose this is an anti-spam measure.

Still, weird that they have so many anti-spam meaures. First you have to wait over month to get your acc and then you have to wait for your posts to be showed. I mean, how much spamming can there be on such small community? But yeah, whatever.

Here's close pic of steel. I don't think it's damascus.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword identification
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic