Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Breastplate Era Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 18 Dec, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Breastplate Era         Reply with quote

Hello...

Can anyone give me an idea of an appropriate time frame for the breastplate pictured here? It is a GDFB manufactured piece which I got for nearly nothing. Just wondering if it would be appropriate for as late as the 17th century. I am not much for figuring out when armor was used.

Thanks for any help you can provide and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year or, if you prefer, Happy Holidays to everyone.

Attachment: 116.36 KB
Breastplate Mortuary and Ribbon Hilt III.jpg

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Thu 18 Dec, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Merry christmas

I think that's suppose to be one of them later 15th century breastplate made from two pieces, like this one.
http://www.allenantiques.com/A-193.html

I'm not an expert but I believe 17th century breastplates are usually made from a single piece.
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fraid its the wrong shape and style for 17th cent, its meant to be a 1470's+ basic breastplate, kind of frontline professional soldier from a town armoury style.

Breats plates from this period can be from a single bit of steel or like this construction, some have moveable plates at the armpits too. Look at the Rhodes armoury book by Richardson and Karcheski.

Having said that, there are bits of armour from this period that turn up in town armouries. There's the one I've mentioned above, the Church at Mendlesham in Suffolk for example, and the Royal Armouries has a 15th cent sallet that's been re-fitted in the 17th cent.

By that time it would be 150 + years old of course so will have seen some wear and tear.

If it works, wear it. Just dont take it to any fashion shows....

Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Antique it a bit and it might well work for border reivers warfare...
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sat 20 Dec, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for they replies which were very helpful. I was hopeful that it might fit into the Border Revier era but apparently not. I think for the $35 I paid for it I will just keep it as a curiosity.

Thanks again...

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Breastplate Era
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic