Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Melee: Battlegrounds - Spiritual Successor to the "cRPG" Mod Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Foong Chen Hong

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Melee: Battlegrounds - Spiritual Successor to the "cRPG         Reply with quote

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1601737664/melee-battlegrounds-spiritual-successor-to-the-crp

This is the first time I see a medieval combat game with 360 degree attack, I know this forum isn't meant for game but this is something I would like to share with you guys.

Descanse En Paz
Mike Jia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks good! Mount & Blade is a great game, and I'm always happy to see new mods getting developed. This is the first one I've seen that has tried improving the combat animations, it looks a lot more fluid than native. War of the Roses and Chivalry are also decent medieval combat simulators, but they're not quite as fun as M&B.

There's definitely seems to be a move towards games with medieval combat. Kingdom Come: Deliverance is another game to watch out for, and Mount&Blade 2 is in the middle of development.
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Jia wrote:
Looks good! Mount & Blade is a great game, and I'm always happy to see new mods getting developed.

This is going to be a standalone game of its own, actually, just heavily derivative of the M&B mod.

Quote:
This is the first one I've seen that has tried improving the combat animations, it looks a lot more fluid than native.

There are quite a few mods and mod packs that overhaul the animations. Floris Expanded Mod Pack is probably my favorite; Gekokujo, a pretty neat total conversion mod set in feudal Japan, also has its own set of attack animations.

Quote:
There's definitely seems to be a move towards games with medieval combat. Kingdom Come: Deliverance is another game to watch out for, and Mount&Blade 2 is in the middle of development.

I dunno. M&B combat at least seems no more realistic or historically accurate to me than, say, pretty much any Legend of Zelda...

Still a great game, though! The absence of overt fantasy elements is quite refreshing. Happy

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Foong Chen Hong

PostPosted: Sat 22 Nov, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"I dunno. M&B combat at least seems no more realistic or historically accurate to me than, say, pretty much any Legend of Zelda... "

M&B's combat does feel the most fluid when compare to Chivalry and WOTR.

Descanse En Paz
Marik C.S.

PostPosted: Sat 22 Nov, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Foong Chen Hong wrote:
"I dunno. M&B combat at least seems no more realistic or historically accurate to me than, say, pretty much any Legend of Zelda... "

Play well or fluid from a gameplay point of view doesn't make the depiction of combat accurate though.
And I doubt very much that this is going to change any time soon. Clang had a shot at it but that's dead&buried now.

Europe - Where the History comes from. - Eddie Izzard
Foong Chen Hong

PostPosted: Sat 22 Nov, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marik C.S. wrote:
Foong Chen Hong wrote:

Play well or fluid from a gameplay point of view doesn't make the depiction of combat accurate though.
And I doubt very much that this is going to change any time soon. Clang had a shot at it but that's dead&buried now.

I never talks about "accurate" though.

Descanse En Paz
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sat 22 Nov, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Foong Chen Hong wrote:

Sure, but Ocarina of Time feels more fluid still. Happy

Where the combat in M&B really fails is the near complete lack of interaction between combatants - you can hit them with your stick when they open up their defense to hit you, and that's all there's to it. There's no grappling, wrestling, binds or any other kind of contact. Mounted combat is a bit more dynamic, but the horses feel and act more like bicycles...

Mind you, despite my complaining Steam says I've played 999 hours of it. And that's not counting the copy I have from GOG.com. Big Grin

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Raman A

PostPosted: Sat 22 Nov, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll keep an eye on this, looks interesting but I'm not sure if I'll have the time to play it.

I played M&B when it first came out and I thought the foot combat was garbage. However, the "mount" part of mount and blade was actually very fun. I don't think any other games at the time had mounted combat like that, where you could do mounted archery or couched lance charges.

WoTR kind of had a similar problem. It was fun... if you had a horse. The foot combat was absolutely terrible.

Chivalry has no mounted combat at all, but the foot combat was actually pretty fun. It's not even a bit realistic though...

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is coming up and looks like it has some great combat.
Gary John

PostPosted: Sun 23 Nov, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Medieval combat game with a serious physics engine -- Personally, this is what I have been waiting for.
I'm jumping on the bandwagon here. Happy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Melee: Battlegrounds - Spiritual Successor to the "cRPG" Mod
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic