Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Kingmaker vs A&A Cavalier Rapier vs A&A Town Guard? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Leelund K

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Albion Kingmaker vs A&A Cavalier Rapier vs A&A Town         Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I'm slowly saving up for my next sword, which I would like to buy within a year. The main problem is I'm not sure which sword I want.

I'm after an agile, versatile, single handed sword that is primarily a thruster but can also cut well vs the unarmored/lightly armored. I would also like the sword to be slightly more tailored towards melee than towards dueling. Though, well-roundedness in all these attributes is key.

Currently, I'm deciding between the:

Albion Kingmaker
A&A Cavalier Rapier
A&A Town Guard

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find many detailed reviews on these three sword, as they are either too short and general or non-existent.

If anyone has had experience with any of these swords, please chime in! I would like to hear real owners' experiences with them. Also, feel free to say which you prefer and why.

Lastly, as I have to save money to buy one of these sword, do take price into consideration when assessing. Value for the money is important to me.

Thanks!

Leelund

Last edited by Leelund K on Mon 27 Oct, 2014 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the kingmaker the best of the three you listed. It's most basic of the three non complex guard also fits into what it sounds like you are going for in terms of "tactical" I suppose. If cost is a concern than I would also suggest the A&A Henry V as a Kingmaker alternative. Very similar type etc, cheaper price.
The church is near but the roads are icy. The tavern is far but I will walk carefully. - Russian Proverb
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any sword is a terrible choice for home defense. Your stated options are particularly poor in my opinion. I encourage you to read about the subject of home defense in our modern age off this site and pick a more appropriate solution than a sword would offer. Additionally, you can read topics like this about the subject.

The entire subject is really quite off-topic and not something I want to see get out of control on this site. It's just far too easy to get into the crazy zone and I don't want to have to moderate such a topic.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Leelund K

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan, I understand and will remove that element from the discussion.
Tomas B

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you like the handling of the Albion Kingmaker but are looking to spend less money the Albion Burgundian shares the same blade and is $400 cheaper (and is dead sexy).
Leelund K

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tomas.

I'd be willing to delay my purchase to save enough for the Kingmaker.

Though, about the Burgundian...

Is the blade hollow ground or does it just share the same blank?
I remember hearing that there were handling differences in the two. Is it noticeable?

I do agree though, the Burgundian is quite attractive.
Aaron Hoard

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got to handle the Burgundian last summer and was surprised by how much I liked it. It definitely moved up my "want" list.

I don't recall if it was hollow ground - sorry.
Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The kingmaker and the Burgundian are very different handling swords, or mine are at least. Now my Kingmaker is very light, almost 12 oz lighter than the published specs & my Burgundian is 3 oz lighter than the specs. The Kingmaker should be the heavier sword so that may influence my opinion just a tad.

Just this weekend a friend of mine was handling my Burgundian. He thought it was the most amazing sword ever, angels were singing in his ear etc.........
Then I handed him my Kingmaker. The trumpets he was hearing became even louder Happy

If I was going up against an armored opponent I'd rather have my Burgundian. If I'm fighting unarmoured with a buckler then I want my Kingmaker.
I prefer curved guards so that makes the Kingmaker a better match for me personally
The blade on both the Burgundian and the Kingmaker is hollow ground.

If I was choosing from your original swords it would depend on whether I wanted a complex hit or not. If yes then I prefer the A&A Town Guard, if no then the Kingmaker

Hope this helps.

PS I'd also be willing to part with my Burgundian for the right price. If you're interested let me know.
Leelund K

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks again to everyone for these responses!

Lloyd,
How do the Town Guard handle in comparison with the Kingmaker?

Interesting to hear how much lighter your Kingmaker is from the official stats. Being handmade, I wouldn't expect Albions to nail their weight figures with every sword, but 12oz is quite a big difference!

Also, a few people mention that diagonal cuts are awkward with the Kingmaker. Do you have any experience with this?
Leelund K

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also,

If anyone has had a chance to compare the Kingmaker and the A&A Henry V Hollowground blades, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

About A&A. Does anyone know if they offer different leather options?
Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have not handled a town guard in many years....
That's really an apples and oranges comparison in my opinion. Even if the published stats are similar the difference between a medieval hilt and a complex hilt makes any comparison questionable at best in my opinion.
The best way to put it is the Kingmaker is a cutter that's a really god thrusting sword.
The Town Guard is a thrusting sword that's not a bad cutter.

My Kingmaker has an antiqued hilt, I think because of that the blade may have been ground a little bit more than usual. I can tell you that while Albion says the Kingmaker and the Burgundian have the same blade my Burgundian will not fit halfway into the Kingmaker's scabbard.

I have never had a problem with diagonal cuts with the Kingmaker
Leelund K

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lloyd. Thanks for your input. I'll take it all into consideration. If I'm ever interested in a Burgundian, I'll let you know!
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Grip options         Reply with quote

Leelund K wrote:

About A&A. Does anyone know if they offer different leather options?

Hi Leelund

Yes we can provide a variety of grip options. Just drop me an email and we can discuss.

Have a great day
Craig
Leelund K

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Craig. May I ask you how the Cavalier Rapier and Town Guard compare to each other in handling? How are they distinct, how are they similar, why is one classified in your sword section and the other in your rapier section?
Lee Pupo

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leelund K wrote:
Thanks Craig. May I ask you how the Cavalier Rapier and Town Guard compare to each other in handling? How are they distinct, how are they similar, why is one classified in your sword section and the other in your rapier section?

I should have a Town Guard in hand this Friday. I'll tell you what I think about it then. Maybe a few "in-hand" pictures will help you visualize the sword better.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The TG is an arming sword with a built-in gauntlet. It's a beast, but in a good way.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...light=town

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee Pupo wrote:

I should have a Town Guard in hand this Friday. I'll tell you what I think about it then. Maybe a few "in-hand" pictures will help you visualize the sword better.

I'd also like to hear what you think of the Town Guard. That sword has been on my list for awhile.
Leelund K

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Lee. I think many of us would love to hear more about the sword.

Sean, in general terms, how does the sword handle? Would you describe it as quick or nimble?

Also does anyone know how the pommel is held on? I've read that it's held on by a pommel nut, but does that mean the nut is screwed on?
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The pommel on mine was peened. I thought the sword handled beautifully. I suspect that somebody new to swords would be very surprised and maybe even disappointed by this piece because the popular expectation seems to be that complex hilt swords ("rapiers") are light and quick. The strong profile taper and mass in the hilt makes this one plenty quick, but it's not a sport foil. You need that blade presence to do what this thing is designed to do.

I sometimes play the "what if" game, too. The TG would be my zombie apocalypse sword. I think of it as the edged analog of the Kalashnikov–robust, simple and versatile.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Leelund K

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Sean. I've handled many good medieval single-handed sword replicas, but I am completely new to good complex hilt swords (including rapiers). So far, my only experience with them have been through cheap replicas, which have left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm certainly not expecting fencing foil speed, but I'm trying to challenge the ingrained idea in my mind that these are heavier than singled-handed medieval swords.

These (transitional?) cut and thrust swords that sit seem to be somewhat of an obscure area of interest. So any feedback/information on these swords is very helpful! I don't think I'm alone in having my perception of these swords spoiled by bad replicas. I started this thread because it looked like many more people were interested in these blades than had experience with them. I also got the sense that the uncertainty of how these swords handle had something to do with this.

On the topic of handling, how does the town guard handle in comparison to Type XV and XVIII arming swords of similar stats?

Thanks again for answering this noob's questions!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Kingmaker vs A&A Cavalier Rapier vs A&A Town Guard?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: