Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > DSA - Longford, NEW MODEL - Construction Alert Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dean F. Marino

PostPosted: Wed 01 Oct, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: DSA - Longford, NEW MODEL - Construction Alert         Reply with quote

All...

For details on this swords construction - please see:

http://www.sword-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=18...p;p=277754

I'm taking the highly unusual step of posting a construction alert for the NEW Model of the DSA Longford. NONE of this applies to the OLD model of the DSA Longford which appears to use a totally different blade.

Pertinent data: upon teardown, I discovered a significantly thin tang area, about 1"-2" behind the guard. The data indicates that this area has a thickness of about 0.109 US inches :

Observation of photo 3 may imply that the low tang thickness in this area is due to the long extension of the fuller into the grip area.

I will not be building up a sword with this blade. I'm labeling this as a CONSTRUCTION Alert rather than a SAFETY Alert, as I have no DATA regarding any actual SAFETY issues that MIGHT arise from construction of this nature.

I will add - based on teardowns of MANY DSA models - this issue is completely UN TYPICAL of any other model I have observed. I present the data, dearly hoping to avoid any over generalizations.

In edhil, hai edhil. In edain, hai edain.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sun 12 Oct, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: DSA - Longford, NEW MODEL - Construction Alert         Reply with quote

I wonder if that sword of yours has been completed by now, Dean.
“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Dean F. Marino

PostPosted: Sun 12 Oct, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well? Given those measurements - no. I can not, in good conscience, re- assemble a blade that I believe to be a hazard to whoever owns it Sad. I'm stuck on this one.... I could re-assemble and sell it as a wall hanger - but I worry that someone may actually try to USE this, as a sword Sad.

So.... in all likelihood? Both for my good, and that of anyone else - I'm very likely going to cut the blade up, and toss it in the trash. I don't think I could live with the thought of someone getting hurt with this item.

Adam S.

PostPosted: Sun 12 Oct, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rather than cut it up and trash it, cut down the shoulders and make it a shorter sword with a new tang. As long as you're careful and go slow as to not affect the heat treat, it should be fine.

You can even drill guide points on either side of the fuller where you want the new tang to start so that you have the proper radius cut at the shoulder.

Just my 2 shillings.

See you at the Pony, muindor. Wink
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam S. wrote:
Rather than cut it up and trash it, cut down the shoulders and make it a shorter sword with a new tang. As long as you're careful and go slow as to not affect the heat treat, it should be fine.

You can even drill guide points on either side of the fuller where you want the new tang to start so that you have the proper radius cut at the shoulder.

Just my 2 shillings.

See you at the Pony, muindor. Wink

Yes I agree make a much shorter sword or a long dagger to not completely junk the whole thing.

That tang gives me the shivers and inspires zero confidence in it's safety: Bad design or bad execution of one sword ? In other words a " lemon " ?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Dean F. Marino

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let's consider moving the shoulders forward, creating a shorter blade, for a moment....

I've considered doing so. The only issue? The problem does not vanish: It just gets moved BACK to a (hopefully) less critical location. I MIGHT be able to move the issue to rear by as much as 3-4 inches.

The dagger conversion - this is hilarious, as it was my first thought. But then, I MIC'd the blade, about a foot back from the tip Sad. And now I can say how good distal Taper can destroy you Happy. By the time you get to this area? Muindor (dear brothers).... there is very little left in the way of "beef" to support a decent dagger tang Happy.

I could do SOMETHING - but really, I'm now in comparative economics land for a BARE BLADE. With the price of a very GOOD HT bare blade in the $100 range at KOA? No. I'm not investing the labor. I will destroy this blade. I could make it into a wall hanger - but then someone might hurt themselves with it - I can not do that.

Adam S.

PostPosted: Sat 18 Oct, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Or you could cut off the tang and sell the blade as-is in the marketplace to recoup a little of the initial investment.

As long as you remove the worrisome area and inform the buyer you can sell it in good conscience.

Just a thought. I hate to see something go to waste, especially when you paid for it. Happy
Dean F. Marino

PostPosted: Sat 18 Oct, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam S. wrote:
Or you could cut off the tang and sell the blade as-is in the marketplace to recoup a little of the initial investment.

As long as you remove the worrisome area and inform the buyer you can sell it in good conscience.

Just a thought. I hate to see something go to waste, especially when you paid for it. Happy

Adam - you are a prince Happy. One who cares for their brothers.... but I must do the same Happy. This particular sword is a dog among dogs....once in a great while, folks like me get these things Happy. Now - MY duty is to insure that his disease does not propagate Happy.

I MIGHT knock this down to a 30" single hander,,,, still measuring, to see if I can cut the flaw out, and end up with a functional blade. As the shoulders move down, the blade gets thinner... so does the potential "tang". Given these dimensions? I need to cut about 4-5 inches out of this blade. Now, I have the ability to do so.... But I'm not sure it is worth the labor.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > DSA - Longford, NEW MODEL - Construction Alert
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic