Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hanwei claymore pommel questions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Millman

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Hanwei claymore pommel questions         Reply with quote

Folks,

Has anyone here ever taken apart a Hanwei claymore (SH2060 or SH2060N)? If so, can you tell me what the opening for the tang looks like, and how big it is? Also, would you happen to know what the pommel's diameter is?

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks,

Mark Millman
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have not taken that sword apart but I have taken several other Hanwei Euro blades apart. None of the tangs were very large.

I have started putting Hanwei in to the SLO department when it comes to Euro stuff.

I bet if you wrote or called the guys at Kult of Athena they could tell you, they might even take one apart for you

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Holger Mahling

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just my few cent, with all due respect; the tangs on MY Hanweis, ESPECIALLY the Tinker line, are strong and quite beefy.
I know that myArmoury is kind of a very elitary place but that does not justice to a maker whose swords swords are at least affordable for us normal people who cant afford a 1000,- dollar up blade!
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Holger Mahling wrote:
Just my few cent, with all due respect; the tangs on MY Hanweis, ESPECIALLY the Tinker line, are strong and quite beefy.
I know that myArmoury is kind of a very elitary place but that does not justice to a maker whose swords swords are at least affordable for us normal people who cant afford a 1000,- dollar up blade!

I do not have any of the Hanwei Tinker cross overs. I have had a lot of Tinker blades over the years and they are always great swords. I have swords from all over the spectrom. I am not happy with the older Hanweis, I have two practical vikings that both pomels came off when I was doing light pell work. I have rebuilt one basket hilt for a friend and did a couple of custom jobs for my own on baskets and did not like what I saw as far as tang.

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Mark Millman

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear David, Holger, and folks,

On Saturday 11 October 2014, David wrote:
I have not taken that sword apart but I have taken several other Hanwei Euro blades apart. None of the tangs were very large.

I have started putting Hanwei in to the SLO department when it comes to Euro stuff.

Thank you, but actually I'm not interested in the tang, or in any of Hanwei's other products. I'm sure the claymore's tang is adequate to Hanwei's purpose, and possibly sturdy enough for a working sword, but it's not germane to my question. My question is specifically about the tang opening in this sword's pommel.

Quote:
I bet if you wrote or called the guys at Kult of Athena they could tell you, they might even take one apart for you

I did think of asking Kult of Athena for the pommel's diameter--I agree that Ryan would happily measure it for me--but I didn't think he'd be as likely as some of the do-it-yourselfers here to have taken one apart, considering the thinness of his business' margins.

If anybody has the information I'm seeking, I'll be grateful for any help you can offer.

Best,

Mark Millman
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry, i did not catch what you were asking at first.
David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Holger Mahling

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry for derailing the thread! Blush
Mark Millman

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No problem, guys.

Mark
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Sun 12 Oct, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

SLO = ?

Sword-like object?
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 12 Oct, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark...

The outside diameter of the pommel on the Hanwei 2060 is 2 inches. I have one of the antiqued versions but have never taken it apart. Unlike the Lowlander Claymore they produce, the tang on this one is peened. I have not had any reason to disassemble the sword. My copy is very solid with a well-fitted grip. I do not use it for cutting but I believe I would be able to without issue as long as I was careful.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Sun 12 Oct, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

sword like object indeed.
David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Sun 12 Oct, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I called KoA before regarding this sword you are talking about. Ryan said the tang is not very thick. Take a look at the lowlander, it had many reports of it been broken at the lower tang.
Mark Millman

PostPosted: Mon 13 Oct, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Lin,

On Sunday 12 October 2014, you wrote:
Mark...

The outside diameter of the pommel on the Hanwei 2060 is 2 inches.

Thank you very much for this information; it's what I needed to know. Pity; I was hoping that it would be slightly smaller.

Quote:
I have one of the antiqued versions but have never taken it apart. Unlike the Lowlander Claymore they produce, the tang on this one is peened.

I noticed that on Kult of Athena's Web site; it was why I thought it unlikely that Ryan had disassembled one.

Quote:
I have not had any reason to disassemble the sword. My copy is very solid with a well-fitted grip. I do not use it for cutting but I believe I would be able to without issue as long as I was careful.

I was thinking of replacing the pommel with something more typical, but if I were to do that I have a project for the globular one that comes mounted on the sword. Regrettably, it's a little bigger than I want.

Thanks again for the help.

Best,

Mark

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hanwei claymore pommel questions
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic