Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Just purchased my first Jody Samson sword! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Just purchased my first Jody Samson sword!         Reply with quote

After reading a thread recently aout Jody Samson swords, I decided to check out what he currently had available. To my utter surprise the sword that I had been drooling over for more than a year had still not sold. So, after much groveling to my long suffering wife and a nice chit-chat with superguy, Mike, the awesome Jody Samson Carolingian sword will soon get a newly sharpened edge and be on it's way from the far side of Albion to it's new home with me. I will post more when I get my greazy paws on it.

Constant and true.
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations!! Big Grin Big Grin
Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

During our visit to Albion a few weeks ago, Patrick Kelly and I saw each and every Jody Samson sword that Albion currently had in stock. We literally raided their stock room, removed each and every piece from its box, swung it around and felt the balance and heft, examined the details, and carefully put each back.. often wishing we could take it home.

What can I say about Jody's work? Well, let me be blunt and to the point: It's my belief that Jody is at the absolute top of the heap when it comes to fantasy-inspired edged weapons. More info? Yeah, okay, well.. I haven't seen another maker as endlessly creative as Jody. Unless he's making a special production run of a piece (and I'm not really clear if he does this often), each and every piece is unique from the other. He's hugely prolific, working at least 10 hours a day each and every day of the week. His carving ability is second to none, and he's obviously a hell of a grinder. The waxes that surround his shop and storeroom are an art exhibit in itself.

Damn impressive stuff, but none of this surprised me. Being fortunate to live in California and be exposed to his work on the Renaissance circuit here, I've seen Jody's work for many, many years. His stuff has always been sweet.. it would be interesting to see Patrick Kelly's reaction, as I believe this was the first time he's seen Jody's work first-hand.

Hm. I didn't expect this response to be this type of post, but Jody made a great impression during our visit. He was a gracious host, a good conversationalist, and just a damn cool mofo. I hope to get a chance to drink a few beers with him down the road sometime soon.

Jay, that's a hell of a cool toy you're gonna get. The hollow-grinding on the blade, like most of Jody's work, is difficult to really appreciate without being able to handle and rotate the piece yourself. It's pretty damn cool stuff.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for your input, Nathan. I really respect your opinion and am now even more excited to be getting the Carolingian sword. I have always liked the look of Jody's swords but preferred to own more historical pieces. The Carolingian is the perfect Samson sword for me because It has more of a historical look to it than a lot of his other swords. Plus I'm a sucker for wide body, big fullered, bad ass barbarian migration era blades! Big Grin
Constant and true.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a few pics of Jody's shop, where your sword was made:

This is only his shop, and is separated from Albion's other shops! Yes, those are all his grinders!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Too cool. Judging by those pictures Jody must be a neat freak.
Constant and true.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can only echo everything that Nathan said. While I had seen a few examples of Jodys work over the years I have never been exposed to such a large sampling at once. One of the most impressive things about Jodys work is that he does it all free hand. No guides or jigs of any kind in all of that hollow grinding. Out of all of the swords that Nathan and I handled there was only one that didn't have an excellent feel to it, and it still wasn't bad. I was very surprised at the nice handling characteristics of Jodys work, and Nathan's right, he got to be the most prolific sword maker around.

Nathan and I both found Jody to be enthusiastic and quite talkative, the opposite of what I had been led to expect from what everyone had told me about him. I was told that Jody either likes you right away or simply doesn't. On our second day at Albion I was also told that Jody had made the comment "Those review guys are pretty neat." I have to say that the feeling is mutual.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 21 Oct, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a photo of Patrick holding a Jody Samson sword, enjoying it thoroughly. Behind Patrick are just a few of the boxes of "in stock" swords that we pillaged through.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 21 Oct, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's another photo from one of the workbenches of Jody:

Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 21 Oct, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Jay ..... may she serve ye well !

Great pic's Nathan ..... Albion must be doing really well to hire that State Trooper to personally guard all those swords *g*

Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 21 Oct, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Albion must be doing really well to hire that State Trooper to personally guard all those swords *g* "

Kickbacks man, kickbacks Big Grin
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow Jay, that sword rocks! I have been admiring it on the web site for a while. You beat me to it! Laughing Out Loud Congrats dude!
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Joel,

I have been admiring that sword fom a distance ever since it was put on Jody's site. I never thought I'd actually be buying it. However, after my fantastic experience with Albion offering to make me a Gaddhjalt to replace the one I bought (off the SFI classifieds) and never recieved, my entheusiasm for sword collecting was rekindled. I really wanted that sword and I also really wanted to support Albion Armorers. So the rest, as they say, is history. I'm expecting to have the Carolingian sword in my hands tonight!!!

Constant and true.
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sweetness! I Hope it is everything you want it to be. you'll have to post pics, and descriptions. I'd be real eager to see them.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Just purchased my first Jody Samson sword!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic