Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Great Ouse Rover Sword versus Black Prince Sword. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robert Morgan

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Great Ouse Rover Sword versus Black Prince Sword.         Reply with quote

Hi all,

I normally prefer thicker, wider cutting blades like the Type 12s and early medieval swords. However, lately I’ve been more and more intrigued by the high medieval thrusting swords, like the Windlass Great Ouse River Sword and the Darksword Black Prince Sword. I’ve read what reviews I can find, but I’d appreciate the opinions of those who have handled/fondled them.

I’m aware that the Great Ouse River Sword is correct in plan, but that Windlass may have gotten the profile slightly wrong, resulting in a thinner, slightly more whippy blade, in the opinions of some.

The Darksword Black Prince Sword certainly looks the part and reportedly handles well, but is perhaps several ounces heavier than the prototype and obviously more expensive than the Great Ouse River Sword.

I guess the question is whether or not the Darksword’s higher price is worth the performance differential versus the Windlass offering, Does anyone have any opinions or views? For the record, I’m a beginning sword collector. My prior swords have all been sub-$100 dollar beaters, and I mean rough beaters. This would be my first higher priced sword of decent quality, other than my fathers USMC officer’s sword, a beautiful hand made German weapon from the 1960s. Seriously, its gorgeous. He paid a lot of money back in the day, I’m told.

I’m also sort of interested in the Arms and Armor Norwich Falchion. Any opinions on that guy? I can’t find any reviews of the newer model sword offered at the Custom Sword Shoppe.

Many thanks for any views or observations.

Robert
Luke Adams

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own the longsword (Sword of Roven) made by Windlass, and I can say that it's a very sturdy sword that cuts well. Many practitioners of HEMA seem to think that anything below an Albion, or a custom-made sword is utter garbage, but I think Windlass makes some pretty good, albeit mass-produced, stuff. Still, you're probably going to get a higher quality piece with Darksword.

As for the falchion... Honestly, I'm more of a 大刀 guy, so I can't help you out there!

- Luke

"God gives the nuts, but he does not crack them."
- German proverb
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Norwich is made by Valiant, not A&A. I suggest you buy the Black Prince. Either Darksword or Legacy Arms. River Ouse looks good, but just doesn't behave like a 14th century thrusting longsword should.
Robert Morgan

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You are correct, the falchion is by Valiant. Thank you for correcting me. See how new I am to this? Happy Happy

Bob
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert Morgan wrote:
You are correct, the falchion is by Valiant. Thank you for correcting me. See how new I am to this? Happy Happy

Bob

Everyone was once. Wink
Robert Morgan

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks all. I just pulled the trigger on the Darksword Black Prince and a Henry V dagger. I still like the Great Ouse River Sword and may get it sometime in the future, perhaps at Christmas. Kult of Athena has the Black Prince with scabbard and sword belt on sale, so the price was too good to pass up.

I agree with you, Luke, Windlass does make some nice swords at the price point. The Great Ouse and the Classic Medieval are on my short list. I've always loved the Classic Medieval's looks. If it goes on deep sale, its an instant buy.

Bob
Robert Morgan

PostPosted: Thu 28 Aug, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Black Prince arrived yesterday from Kult of Athena. It feels slightly blade heavy, but I am able to wield it comfortably. The blade is squarely oriented within the crossguard, and the grip appears tight and not likely to move nor slip under hard hand pressure. The one area where I'd like to see Darksword improve concerns the fit of the sword within the scabbard. The is more of a storage location than an actual, snugly fitting and wearable scabbard; the sword clanks around inside the scabbard. The same is true of the Henry V dagger and scabbard.

All in all, though, I'm very happy with my first sword purchase! Kult of Athena had some super prices and they shipped very quickly. Now, what to get next? Hmm... The Sage? The Norwich Falchion? The Practical Arming Sword? A tactical tomahawk? Decisions, decisions...

Bob
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 28 Aug, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dude.....If you're even thinking about a tomahawk........go no further than Cold Steel. Badass blades, hickory handles, and built like brick outhouses. Can't go wrong....especially for the price. Big Grin ..............McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 28 Aug, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you buy a Cold Steel hawk, and have access to a shop of tools, do yourself a favor. Take the head off the handle and wire-brush that ugly-assed black paint off. The grain of the steel underneath is beautiful. Then, sand off the varnish from the handle and give it a nice, dark stain. I own the Norse hawk and the Pipehawk, both of which I customized. Can't say enough good about them.............Beautiful, functional, absolutely deadly.......McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Great Ouse Rover Sword versus Black Prince Sword.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic