Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Which Sallet? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Michael Nicholls

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jul, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Which Sallet?         Reply with quote

Hello all,

Currently looking to buy a Gothic Sallet. After much googling I've narrowerd my options to Arma Bohemia or Best Armour. Any advice/comments on either of these makers? Or is there another I should suss out? Looking around the $600 budget mark...Illusion Armoury was looking good but that wait time is Brutal...april next year.... Thanks for any Advice!
Vadim Senicheff

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jul, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi!
I would recomend ArmaBohemia cause I've touched a lot of their products, they feel very real.

Also, wery acurate work.

https://www.facebook.com/Heldar1989
Michael Nicholls

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jul, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cheers. Im leaning towards Arma Bohemia - very quick email replies etc. And their stuff looks good from what I can see. Seems Wulflund sell one of Arma's Sallets in their JV Armoury section at abit of a higher price though.
Ben van Koert

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jul, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I highly recommend Via Armorari.
Michael Nicholls

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jul, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Via Armori...can't access his website Sad What's pricing like? Whiterose Armour looks good but waaay over budget.
Olov Tidemalm

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jul, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Per Lillelund Jensen has done a bunch of nice sallets aswell. Since Guild of St. Olaus homepage seems to be inaccessible, try contacting him on FB. https://www.facebook.com/perlillelund
Both Albert and Per makes highend armours so expect the price to match the quality.
/Olov

Ps. http://www.viaarmorari.com works fine for me. Ds.
Michael Nicholls

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jul, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok Managed to view the site at work. Very nice looking but willing to bet will be over my budget. I've flicked them a email Wink
Michael Nicholls

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok - Vanek Armour or Armory Marek...will be one of these guys....
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd say Marek, it's cheaper. Vanek's stuff is actually quite expensive. A High Gothic cuirass from Vanek would cost you 1800 Euro(confirmed by email) and a High Gothic cuirass from Marek is 980 Euro(confirmed from his price list). I don't know if Vanek's stuff is heat treated.

I'm not sure about their sallet price, but Marek's list indicates that his sallet with brass trims cost around 480 Euro.
Michael Nicholls

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wish I could access this forum from work..blocks this site for some reason. Anyways I've had good replies from both places, their sallet prices are almost the same, Marek's was 370 euro with the bevour. Vanek was 270 sallet only, But is the Identical sallet on Wulflund's site at 410 euro.
Ben van Koert

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marek’s custom work is dreadful. I’ve seen multiple instances where he managed to ruin custom orders where he fitted people himself in person and then delivered something which was too big..
If you encounter his stall, see something which isn’t horribly off and it fits only then his prices are good.

I haven’t seen Vanek’s work in person yet, but judging by his site it’s hit or miss, depending on the style you want.

At least with Arma Bohemia as the middle man you can set the standard of what you want and let Jakub sort things out with the armourer in their own language.

Over the years I’ve learned to save up just that bit more and then buy something for life. And even then I got stung a few times by cutting down on quality by thinking I really needed something right now and went for a slightly cheaper stuff. I still need to exchange some of those pieces.
A helmet defines EVERYTHING on your armour, it’s literally the face of the entire suit. I’ve got four exchange helms, one with exchange visors as well and it always strikes me to see how much changes when you put on a different helmet.

Cheaper now mostly means more expensive in the future.
Michael Nicholls

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sallet with lobster tail is what im after. Seems the same one is one Wulflund, Arma bohemia & also Vanek. I assumed based on pricing maybe Vanek is the actual maker & the other places buy from him? I was actually impressed with the look of one from Illusion Armour..sent me pics of one with bevour & narrow eye slot. Well within budget & I can wait a year.
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As Ben Van Koert said, the helmet is a good piece on your harness. In my opinion $600 dollar for a helmet is a bit tight. If you can wait then Illusion is also a pretty good pick. Have you tried this armorer? Not sure bout his price. http://www.mac-armour.cz/
Olov Tidemalm

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought a klappvisor bacinet from Jacek Matera ( http://www.kuznica.dew.pl/ ) a few years back and I'm happy with the result. It turned out the be a little bigger than I expected but I think it turned out fine. Aventail and padding was done by me.

Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend Illusion, I'm beginning to doubt I'll ever see my armor.
Michael Nicholls

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice so far. Mike How long have you been waiting for Illusion Armoury? Seems the trick with Marek is to give him slightly smaller measurment? - Anyway I will email Mac, his helmets look Really good, so expect them to be in the $800 aus + range. 2 weeks ago I didnt even know what a Sallet was!
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the trick to Marek's armor is to send him emails to confirm the finished sizes, let him take pictures of the finished armor measurement. I emailed illusion last year Aug, and he told me the wait list is a year long by September 2014, so if had I placed an order last year with illusion, I still have a month to wait lol Also I believe illusion only accept check, no online payment.

Also if Mac is too expensive check out this one https://www.facebook.com/andrew.galevskiy you have to log on to facebook to see it. Andrey had a Great Bascinet with attached riveted aventail for only $690, which is incredibly cheap for a helmet like that. So I assume his sallet shouldn't be that expensive.
Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Nicholls wrote:
Mike How long have you been waiting for Illusion Armoury?

I was on their waiting list for some months and that's completely fine, no problem there. They asked for payment in February of 2013 because allegedly my armor was ready to be made. By late May 2013 my armor was "cut out." Mid September of 2013 it was "cut out and next in line to get finished." It's been almost a year now and still nothing to show for it. Maybe someday something will show up, maybe it won't.
Michael Nicholls

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Over a year may as well have learnt to make it myself. Best Armour was another site I have been looking at. Almost too many helmets to choose from on this site.
Michael Nicholls

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok Mac has come back at $500 euro for his lobster tail sallet which looks beautiful, so thats $720 aus. I was close. I've asked him for a bevor to suit. For 700 euro he can do spring steel.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Which Sallet?
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: