Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help verifying identification and value please! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joshua Acker

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Help verifying identification and value please!         Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been collecting production swords and such for a long time now but I just recently got into antiques.

That said, while I love my first antique I've acquired, I think I might part with it soon in order to fund another purchase.

I believe this sword is a non regulation US Civil war sword made in Germany.

The scabbard has the engraving "Geo J Madden".

I have tracked this down to the only viable soldier on either side being George J Madden, Sergeant Major, 16th Infantry regiment, Union side.

The sword itself appears to be in good shape - the scabbard is dented in multiple places. I have a feeling if the scabbard had not had the soldier's name engraved, someone might have thrown it out in the past (which would have been a shame).

The blade has some patina and spotting, and while I am not an expert, it appears to be in great shape based on other examples I've seen of similar period swords.

The guard likewise looks nice and the fish skin is intact - the copper wire wrap looks beautiful.

The only issue I can find is a slight, superficial wobble to the grip that does not affect function.

So am I right as to the identification of this sword? Also, I believe the value to be over 1000 usd, right?

Can anyone with more knowledge than me weigh in? (pics in following posts)

Thanks.

cowards die a thousand deaths
Joshua Acker

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The last pic shows a few nicks in the blade. To my (untrained eye) it looks like Mr. Madden had to defend himself against a few swords or bayonets during his career.

Thoughts?

cowards die a thousand deaths
David Cooper

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is it German made? I couldn't tell from the pictures but the proof disk is certainly similar to those on British made swords. Question
The journey not the destination

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help verifying identification and value please!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic