Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Zornhau data sheets, more resources like this? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jun, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Zornhau data sheets, more resources like this?         Reply with quote

In Lukas' thread about his beautiful longsword, he posted a link to http://www.zornhau.de/dinkelsbuhl-first-steel/#more-92

And they have even more of the same here: http://www.zornhau.de/category/fachartikel/

They have taken very detailed measurments of original swords from a private collection it seems, including thickness and distal taper across four points on each blade, which is great for those of us who aspire to make a real sword someday.

Does anyone here know of more online sources with detailed measurments like this? I am chuffed to bits about these data sheets, wonderful work. A big thanks to the guys at Zornhau for putting this out there, and to Lukas for posting this on the forum.

Some of them are quite a bit beefier than most high quality reproductions, I must say. Theres a single handed castillan type sword thats over 1700 grams, and a grosse messer thats almost 2.5 kgs.
Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jun, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You're very welcome! Unfortunately, I don't know of any other source with such detailed, technical information. Maybe someone else does...
Ryan Renfro

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Einar, have a look here as well: http://www.historische-waffenkunde.de/engl-Hp/database.htm

Lukas, nice work and thanks for making those available. I really like several of the pieces in the Dinkelsbühl collection. Have you considered getting some graph paper to trace or at least photograph them on? It gives you an instant scale in both axes. I find that this paper works quite well: http://www.artifolk.co.uk/paper-and-canvas/pa...-rolls.htm

Also, you may wish to consider increasing the number of measurement points for the distal taper - it can really give you a better idea of what is going on than just four measurements. The paper above has a thick line every 5 cm, and if you align the intersection between the blade and the crossguard on one of the thick lines on the X-axis, you can just work down the blade measuring at every thick line at 5cm. Aligning the central ridge or the center of the blade on a Y-axis thick line allows you to trace the outline and have a quick and easy measurement for the blade width, which can come in handy if your time is limited.
Raman A

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lukas MG wrote:
You're very welcome! Unfortunately, I don't know of any other source with such detailed, technical information. Maybe someone else does...

Great resource, but I have a question. Why can you show the maker's mark on some pieces, but not all?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Zornhau data sheets, more resources like this?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic