Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Ernst Schmidt reproduction Great Helm Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bob Hurley

PostPosted: Wed 28 May, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Ernst Schmidt reproduction Great Helm         Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to acquire an Ernst Schmidt reproduction Great Helm from the John Higgins Woodman collection auctioned at Thomas Del Mar a few weeks ago. In reading Nathan Robinson's article on Ernst Schmidt and in seeing the photos of the catalog pages, I think the Great Helm purchased is the same as shown on the first page of the catalog, top center. The helm belonged to the Higgins after being acquired in 1929, and was exhibited at a couple of museums over the years.

Does anyone know how I might acquire a copy of the Ernst Schmidt catalog that Nathan referred to in his article "Ernst Schmidt Catalogue and Album of Reproductions of Arms and Armour"?

Comments on the helm? does this look like one of Schmidt's "original" looking reproductions?

Attachment: 231.23 KB
[ Download ]

Bob Hurley
Don Stanko

Reading list: 482 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 May, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your helm is in the book, plate 84 page 139. I found the book on bookfinder for $128.00. Search for Andrew Mowbray, Arms-Armor: From the Atelier of Ernst Schmidt, Munich. This is a limited edition (1,000 copies printed) and can run as much as $350.00.

Nice purchase.
Bob Hurley

PostPosted: Wed 28 May, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don Stanko wrote:
Your helm is in the book, plate 84 page 139. I found the book on bookfinder for $128.00. Search for Andrew Mowbray, Arms-Armor: From the Atelier of Ernst Schmidt, Munich. This is a limited edition (1,000 copies printed) and can run as much as $350.00.

Nice purchase.

Thank you Don. I ordered the book and look forward to receiving it. Hopefully I will learn much more about Ernst Schmidt from the book.

Does it say, or does anyone know how many great helms like these were made by his atelier? Curious how many of these are out there. At least I know that I have the one sold to Higgins Armory by Ernst Schmidt and have the provenance to demonstrate that.

Bob Hurley
Don Stanko

Reading list: 482 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 May, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Other than the information provided in the forward, it doesn't have much about Schmidt. It's actually a promotional catalog which includes the prices of each item. So, you might be able to see what your helm originally cost.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Ernst Schmidt reproduction Great Helm
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic