Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Custom made Type XX raw blade - Revisited Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
G. Ghazarian
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Custom made Type XX raw blade - Revisited         Reply with quote

OK, Here it is. I should have done this a long time ago right after I received the blade. Even though I did start preparing bits and pieces, but then one thing led to another and the project was put on the back burner until now. As the saying goes, better late than never.

Anyway, so much for the introduction and now the measurements and specifications are as follows:

Weight - 5 lbs, 6.7 oz
Overall Length - 59 3/8
Blade Length - 43 3/4
Grip Length - 11 5/8
Guard Width - 1 in
Point of Balance - 5 in
Center of Percussion - 27" from guard
Blade Width - 2 1/8
Blade Thickness - 0.220 in
Steel - 6150

The hilt is dismountable and is secured by a specially made barrel nut. The base of the pommel is fitted over the rectangular section of the tang to eliminate any unwanted rotation.

The cross and pommel are of mild steel and are made on my lathe, mill and belt sander. The handle is made with leather over chord over wood, which is fitted tightly over the tang. The bands and wire are of nickel silver (German silver). I had to do a little adjustments on the tang to bring the threaded end and the whole thing is alignment with the blade's axis.

Despite her enormous size, but with a COP of 5", this sword is very comfortable in the hand and feels light. Even though I did not cut anything with her, but in a dry test, she swings easily and changes "in flight" direction amazingly fast.

I am very pleased with the way this sword came out. She has the charm and individuality of a hand forged blade married with my workmanship and attention to detail.

Now, I wonder why I didn't make this sword earlier. Please feel free to comment. I'll be glad to hear from you.

More pictures here http://gallery.me.com/gghazarian#100031

Attachment: 133.86 KB
A&A Bare blade [ Download ]

Attachment: 92.84 KB
Finished Sword [ Download ]
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice to see it finally come to life.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had watched this blade when it was for sale. I was really surprised that it didn't sell as it is such a nice piece! The furniture and grip look great, really top notch. I bet you're glad it didn't sell now that it's done!!!!
Tim May

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a truly incredible sword, I have to second Tim in that I'm glad you didn't sell it. I can believe the handling, despite it's massive size it looks proportionally perfect, and everything about it just screams class. Bravo!
Bradley Starkey

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful blade. Nice job!
C. Gadda

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
I had watched this blade when it was for sale. I was really surprised that it didn't sell as it is such a nice piece! The furniture and grip look great, really top notch. I bet you're glad it didn't sell now that it's done!!!!

Tim's not the only one that was watching it! I seriously considered getting it, as well, but with my crushing backlog of projects decided it would be more prudent to let it pass. Besides, that money went towards the next to last Albion Valkyrie...

Amazing work! I'm really glad no one bought it and you finished it so beautifully!

If I had indeed gotten it, and assuming it didn't languish forever Sad I would have given it some "S" shaped quillons with a wheel pommel, similar to that one that had its own thread recently (you know, the one that had an inscription along the edge of the pommel)
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:

Yes I also liked the blade when I first saw it but the finished sword is gorgeous: I wouldn't sell it if it was mine, but if you did sell it I think you could or should ask a lot more for it. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Sun 17 Aug, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

wow just outstanding. i love the pommel and the bands you did for the grip. it all came together really nicely.... you did that all in one week? wow #2. tr
G. Ghazarian
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 18 Aug, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you guys all for your kind words. I appreciate it.
I must admit that A&A has done an excellent job on this blade and trying to sell the bare blade was only being lazy on my part.

Thom R. wrote:
wow just outstanding. i love the pommel and the bands you did for the grip. it all came together really nicely.... you did that all in one week? wow #2. tr

I wish That was true Thom. The blade remained for sale for 2 months. Well, after the first couple of weeks it was not difficult to figure out that it is not going to sell. So I was working on it slowly. When you first contacted me on July 17, I was almost half done, after that it was just a matter of putting all parts together an finalizing during the last week. After all, please note that I am not a full time sword maker and this is just a hobby. I just like making things and swords are only one of them.

Gabriel G.
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Mon 18 Aug, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What is so great about this to me, is how you did the mild steel work all yourself on the lathe. 1. I don't have that kind of equipment and 2. even if I did I would never be able to make something that nice. the cross and pommel are excellent! tr
G. Ghazarian
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 20 May, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Everyone !

It's been a while !!!

I believe it is time for this sword to find another home. She is still brand new, as she was then, very well oiled and never used or cut with. She is and will be unique in any collection.

I'm asking US$ 600.00 + shipping (conus only) + 3% Paypal fee.

Will ship in a wooden box, which I will have to make (for free). This is the safest way of shipping a sword.

Thank you,

Gabriel

Note related thread : http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...highlight=

G. Ghazarian
http://gloryships.com/
G. Ghazarian
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 24 May, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you like the sword and are interested, you can make an offer.

A reasonable offer is welcome.

Thanks,

Gabriel

G. Ghazarian
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sat 24 May, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been to your website and took a look at the works you've done in the past. I'm very impressed with your ability to combine imposing proportions with a classy, elegant aesthetic! This piece is certainly no exception-- I'm sure it will find a good home and a proud owner!
"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
G. Ghazarian
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 May, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Jeremiah, I appreciate very much your good words.

With the swords I have made, still making constantly, and the swords I have purchased over time, my collection has reached an enormous size, a size that in my wife's word, is "outrageous" !!!

I better do something about this !!!

If you are interested in any of my swords posted on my website or here in myArmoury, please contacted me.

Thank you,

Gabriel

G. Ghazarian
G. Ghazarian
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 May, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This sword is sold and is no longer available.

Thank you,

Gabriel

G. Ghazarian

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Custom made Type XX raw blade - Revisited
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic