Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > seax in the rain Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
G Ezell
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 17 May, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: seax in the rain         Reply with quote

It was starting to rain, but I managed to photograph these before they go to their new homes...

From the top, first up is a 'mini-seax' in shear steel and horn with a 3 1/2" blade, about 7 3/8" overall.

In the middle is one of my experiments in wolf's teeth from last fall, made of wrought iron, 1095 edge, and bog oak for the handle, with a 6 1/2" blade, about 12 1/2" overall.

Last up is a patternwelded blade (wrought iron, 1084/15n20 twist, w2 edge) with a walnut burl handle. Blade is about 7 5/8" long, just under 14 inches overall. This one has a bit of an auto-hamon.

Here they are in their sheaths:

" I have found that it is very often the case that if you state some absolute rule of history, there will be an example, however extremely unusual, to break it."
Gabriel Lebec

https://www.facebook.com/relicforge
J. Nicolaysen

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 17 May, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice, I hope they found good homes! The rain makes a nice light for the picture.

What is "the experiment in wolf's teeth?" A pattern you found through the wrought iron? Bog oak is nice for the handle. Wicked point also.

Scabbards are all very nice also. Hard to say which seax I would like the best.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 18 May, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These all look very good. They have a very period authentic feel. I think the light really helped create the look!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 18 May, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice and nice avoiding the rust from rain drops. Big Grin Cool
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 19 May, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like having seax in the rain. As Martha Stewart would say..."It's a good thing!"..... Laughing Out Loud .....Beautiful work!......McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Robert Muse

(2 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 19 May, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Seax         Reply with quote

Very nice work again George. I especially like the longer one, and the quality of the sheaths you create.
Robert
G Ezell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 19 May, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Nicolaysen wrote:
Very nice, I hope they found good homes! The rain makes a nice light for the picture.

What is "the experiment in wolf's teeth?" A pattern you found through the wrought iron? Bog oak is nice for the handle. Wicked point also.

Scabbards are all very nice also. Hard to say which seax I would like the best.

I had an order last year for a seax with a 'serrated' weld, what is also called a wolf's tooth pattern. I made a few experimental pieces to learn the technique, this was one of them. These images may help...

This was the initial pieces, one wrought iron, one 1095, with the teeth chiseled in. Unfortunately keeping the teeth aligned proved to be a problem. I took the wrought iron piece and another piece of 1095, and cut the teeth into the 1095 using the wrought iron piece as a pattern. These pieces were cleaned and fire-welded together, resulting in this...

The pattern stretched more than I wanted, but it worked. Since I had the 1095 piece with the teeth chiseled in, I tried fire-welding that bar to another piece of wrought iron, hoping that the force needed to fire-weld them together would also force the wrought iron down into the teeth of the harder 1095. That experiment worked better than I expected, and became the blade you see above. Here are the blades from that set of experiments...

By the way, this is the finished wolf's tooth blade that I was commissioned to make... I love it when I am challenged to try something I've never done, at least I am when it works...Happy

" I have found that it is very often the case that if you state some absolute rule of history, there will be an example, however extremely unusual, to break it."
Gabriel Lebec

https://www.facebook.com/relicforge
J. Nicolaysen

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 19 May, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the explanation! If you had talked about it before I missed it. I saw some of your work before on SFI so it is nice to locate you here also. You are definitely on my list! The wolf's teeth is a really interesting pattern and it certainly was successful. Nice to see the in-progress photos. I like the bog oak handle a lot as well as I said above, and the sheaths too.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > seax in the rain
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic