Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Armour vs swords ... a collector's view Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 
Bob Hurley

PostPosted: Tue 22 Apr, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Those harnesses are beautiful         Reply with quote

Wow, Marston, those harnesses are really beautiful. Unfortunately I only have one, late 19th or early 20th century. Hoping to acquire a few more soon. Here is a photo of the one I have, 16th century style, close helmet, rolled and roped edges, nicely smithed.

Attachment: 17.31 KB
armor-photo.png

Bob Hurley
Guy Bayes

PostPosted: Tue 22 Apr, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would ask the question a trifle differently

"What would I see that would make me want to buy armor like I buy swords"

1: price point <$3K
2: variety of historical styles
3: completeness, I would want a full set that I could actually wear
4 barrier to entry: one size fits all, confidence that if I get fat or get skinny I could still wear it. No going to a tailor to get measured
5: attractiveness if worn or displayed, including some easy way to display it

I worked actually not focus on plate, if you look at what you see armor wise in popular culture now it's generally lighter chain or leather. There are reasons why the game of thrones guys are. Lastly not running around in plate
Jussi Ekholm

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 Apr, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sure I would love to collect armor too. Happy

Unfortunately I have several factors why I don't currently collect them.

1. Financial reasons & collecting preferences - I try to mainly collect nihonto, even though I would like to have a Japanese armor in my collection (and armors of other cultures too), it's a very big investment. So for that kind of money that an armor would cost, I would rather buy a nihonto.

2. Space issues - I live in small single room apartment, I already have one wall & floor space dedicated to Japanese swords, one wall & floor space for my sword books & indo-persian stuff, and last wall rack for Euros. I have literally no room for displaying armor.

3. Size issues - In a weird way, I would like my armor to be wearable. As I'm a lot bigger than average Japanese I would need a custom fitted armor which would cost quite a bit more than regular modern off the shelf armors.

4. Age issues - I like antiques, but I wouldn't/couldn't most likely wear an antique armor. In my mind they are for collecting and new ones are for use. This goes back to number one reason. Happy

I know I will eventially buy myself a custom reproduction of Japanese armor made by Japanese craftsmen, however time for that purchase is far in the future. And I would love to have various full "kits" (Samurai, Viking, Roman, Knight etc.) but those are even further away in the future. Happy

Jussi Ekholm
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Thu 24 Apr, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Armour vs swords ... a collector's view         Reply with quote

Baron Stanislas Klossowski de Rola? Is that his real name?

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Marston Smith

PostPosted: Thu 24 Apr, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A collection of armor comes to good use if you happen to make a medieval vampire feature in your back yard. My neighbor and friend,Stash owns a castle in Italy and is the son of the artist Balthasar Klossowski de Rola(Balthus). Stash makes the best vampire.
If I had 3k I would find out where I could get 3 complete harnesses (in California you will need to get a resale license to buy wholesale)

Attachment: 57.59 KB
2346_1108057980023_8358_n.jpg

Attachment: 160 KB
[ Download ]

For the Dream
Marston

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Armour vs swords ... a collector's view
Page 5 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: