Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Proper terminology for valkyrie helmet Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Deziray S

PostPosted: Mon 24 Mar, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Proper terminology for valkyrie helmet         Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I really hope this is the proper place to ask such a question. I've been having one heck of a time trying to figure this one out.

For those that are familiar with the Valkyries of norse mythology, would anyone happen to know what style of helm it is they wore, in proper terminology?

I realize there are various versions depicted, in art and in media (video game). To be more specific, I'm trying to figure out if there is in fact a proper name for helms such as the one worn on this statue: http://www.scadaris.com/images/products/1604.JPG Basically a thick armor circlet that covers the forehead and the sides of the face.

Or one like this, that covers the top of the head as well: http://i61.tinypic.com/344pmx3.png (Yes I know it isn't a real image, don't laugh at me!)

Please if any of you have an idea let me know. I've been researching them all morning with no real luck.

Thanks!
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 24 Mar, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry to disappoint you, but these helmets are fantasy and I doubt there is, as you say, "proper terminology" for them. superficially they might look a bit like celtic or roman helmets, but only a bit. Happy
Deziray S

PostPosted: Mon 24 Mar, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah I figured that might be the case. If anything I was hoping to find something comparable that does exist. Most helms I've seen are not even close though (Sallets, barbutas etc)
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 24 Mar, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These two I found on wikipedia are similar enough (first one is greek from south Italy and the second one is celtic), but there are too many differences to call those fantasy helmets inspired by helmets such as these two:

Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 24 Mar, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge, the Valkyrie wore winged circlet crowns. This is pure fiction, though. There is no such thing as a Norse Valkyrie....never mind the fact that I'm married to one. Wink Laughing Out Loud ..........McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Proper terminology for valkyrie helmet
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic