Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Suggestions for a particular longsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jack P.

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: Suggestions for a particular longsword         Reply with quote

Hello, I'm looking for an advice about buying a XIV or XVish century longsword, more precisely something good at both thrusting and cutting like a XVIIIb. After searching around the web, and memorizing your extremely useful review section, I felt in love with the elegant simplicity and at the same time aggressive design of the Albion Munich and the AA Durer, but they are both too expensive for me, and also I would prefer to buy in Europe (and Albion Europe is definitely too expensive).

I've searched around for a while, and the closest sword I've found is the Pavel Moc Tallhoffer.

http://www.swords.cz/pictures/swords/new2011/talhoffer4s.jpg

But while I don't mind about the straight shaped hilt, since I actually like it, I would prefer a blade of a harder metal than the soft one I've often read Pavel uses, and maybe a normal round shaped wheel pommel. Probably I could have it customized in order to fix these things, but then I guess the price would be quite high.

So here I am, hoping that some of you gentlemen know of a similar longsword or have some advice for me.

Cheers

Jack

None shall pass.
Marik C.S.

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Regenyei has a sword based on the same Original as the Albion Munich that might be more up your alley in terms of pricing.
http://www.regenyei.sg18.net/en_repros.html
You'd have to check though if he'd offer that one in sharp as well (which I assume you are after if you are looking at the Munich).

Europe - Where the History comes from. - Eddie Izzard
Jack P.

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, your link is quite useful; I didn't know that manufacturer, I'll search some feedback about t.

Actually, for various reasons, I'd prefer to order a semisharp blade (or if I can't, a blunt one. Simply because, sadly, in my country owning a sharp sword is not allowed), which usually is possible with most of the workshops.

But I'm curious, do you think the Munich would be that bad for sparring?

None shall pass.
Marik C.S.

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as I know Albion offers only their Maestro Line swords as really blunt, meaning that all other swords are at least butterknife-sharp... which can potentially be quite dangerous.
I'm sure as a sword it handles very nice and is a great piece - I don't have one, just as far out of my pricerange as for you - but not a training or sparring tool.

On another note it's just too gorgeous for sparring, training swords are at the end of the day merely implements that will see a lot of wear&tear, I wouldn't put a 1500€ sword through that.

Europe - Where the History comes from. - Eddie Izzard
Jack P.

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, I see your point. I tought you were implying that the sword itself is bad for sparring; while I might not do any serious sparring, I just like the idea the sword could sustain it.

Thanks again for the link by the way, I'll try to contact Peter to get an idea of the prices.

(it's just my impression or those crossguards look kinda long?)

None shall pass.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could also ask Viktor Berbekucz for a custom in Munich sword style...
James Moore

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm assuming that your'e in Europe, given the preference for European craftsmen.

May I ask, Jack P., what country you live in where sharp swords are illegal, because I know of no nations in Europe where there are such laws.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Moore wrote:
I'm assuming that your'e in Europe, given the preference for European craftsmen.

May I ask, Jack P., what country you live in where sharp swords are illegal, because I know of no nations in Europe where there are such laws.

I know they are illegal in Italy, maybe somewhere else too..
James Moore

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:

Thankyou, Luka - I understood that sharpened swords were illegal to carry in public in italy, but not illegal to own, as long as permission was granted by the local police force, which was fairly simple to get.
(similar sort of law as the UK in that respect; its entirely legal to own a sharp sword, but take it out into the street and you're breaking the law then.)

Was I mistaken in that , with regards to Italian law?
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Moore wrote:
Luka Borscak wrote:

Thankyou, Luka - I understood that sharpened swords were illegal to carry in public in italy, but not illegal to own, as long as permission was granted by the local police force, which was fairly simple to get.
(similar sort of law as the UK in that respect; its entirely legal to own a sharp sword, but take it out into the street and you're breaking the law then.)

Was I mistaken in that , with regards to Italian law?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think even owning is illegal, that's why Del Tin and Ares Academy swords can't sharpen their swords even on request. In my country, Croatia, carrying in public is illegal but you can own a sharp sword so sharp swords can also be made and sold to people...
Ben Coomer

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps Lutel Handicrafts? They don't have that particular design but they shown a willingness to modify things when I talking to them.
Jack P.

PostPosted: Mon 24 Mar, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jack P. wrote:

(it's just my impression or those crossguards look kinda long?)

Ops, I meant grips. I'm curious about the handling.

James Moore wrote:

Luka guessed right, I live in Italy, where even just owning a sharp sword is illegal, and the permission is very difficult to get. Also considering that every police station here has its own interpretation about that law.

Ben Coomer wrote:
Perhaps Lutel Handicrafts? They don't have that particular design but they shown a willingness to modify things when I talking to them.

I've seriously thought about Lutel, but I want to consider other possibilities too.

None shall pass.
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 25 Mar, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do not think owning an albion could be illegal in Italy, provided that your police station (Questura) be willing to listen to you ...

I have known people who collected them in an area of Northern Italy without problems.

You should check more thoroughly with your local weapons office. In Milan, for an example, japanese sword collectors are able to buy katanas for study reasons.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Suggestions for a particular longsword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic