Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bavarian sawfish two handed sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Bavarian sawfish two handed sword         Reply with quote

That's definitely worth a look! I would have never guessed such blades had been mounted on a European renaissance hilt.

Late XVII century apparently.

Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good Lord, that is massive! Do you have any additional information on the dimensions & weight? It's bound to have been ceremonial or a presentation piece. Or, just maybe, an awesome proto-wallhanger. Happy

Kind of reminds me when I was a kid, and thought it would be a great idea to put a hilt on the beak of the sailfish hanging in my grandma's dining room. No, I didn't; but I sure thought about it! Wink
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's ENORMOUS!
"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I actually love that piece. It does not seem to be one of a kind...I have this old picture of a very similar sword.I don't currently recall where I found it but I do remember it being listed as a "German Renaissance Parade Sword".
"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a better pic and I remembered where I found it:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16408

And here is the actual Museum page.There are better pics,etc...even stats for said sword.

http://www.dhm.de/datenbank/dhm.php?seite=5&fld_0=AK204085

Production

1551/1600 (Gefäß)

Measurements

Width: 42 (Parierstange) cm
Length: 169,3 cm
Length: 114,5 (Klinge) cm

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Chuck D.

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Only in Bayern! I love my ancestors! Happy
William P

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

when i posted this thread to facebook, i got a comment saying that these fish are native to australian waters, how are we finding these things in bavaria then, when are these swords dated to???

side note, even if it wouldnt be too good at parrying, i REALLY would not want to hae that thing swung at me, it's frankly more terrifying than a steel blade could ever be...
Tobias Capwell

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I think the caption on that image is wrong. I saw that sword in the Berlin stores about ten years ago and I'm pretty sure that the saw-fish saw comprises the scabbard of the weapon, not the blade. I also seem to recall that inside is a fairly typical steel blade. I don't think this thing is unique either...

T
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Thu 20 Mar, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sword in the original post and the sword in the 5th post (and others) are NOT the same weapon. Right there, we have evidence for two swords like this, which matches up with what Tobias Capwell just said. I have no idea how you'd hollow out a swordfish nose (unless it is naturally hollow?) without making the teeth loose as well, but the idea of it as a scabbard seems pretty reasonable to me.
"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Thu 20 Mar, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tobias Capwell wrote:
Hi Guys,

I think the caption on that image is wrong. I saw that sword in the Berlin stores about ten years ago and I'm pretty sure that the saw-fish saw comprises the scabbard of the weapon, not the blade. I also seem to recall that inside is a fairly typical steel blade. I don't think this thing is unique either...

T

just by the photos this looks true to me as well. seems unlikely that a sword maker would be contracted to make something without its blade. even by the size of the hilt, and its decoration I would want to say the first posted pic looks more like a bearing sword. I'm no expert, I've been looking through 2 handed swords for a while, but I look at it and think its something Victorian however, I've been wrong about things before.
Ozsváth Árpád-István

PostPosted: Thu 20 Mar, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That sword is in the German Historical Museum in Berlin. There's a lot of good stuff there, it worth visiting. though I had only one day to see the city.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Fri 21 Mar, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Bavarian Sawfish Two-handed Sword         Reply with quote

Wow! That's a huge sword! I've never seen sawfish bills that big.
Some trivia: In Germany there are no sawfishes and the animal's bill could have been imported elsewhere. Sawfishes, however, inhabit tropical waters.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Fri 21 Mar, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I´m sorry for being a bit off-topic, but this is a very intriguing question:

William P wrote:
when i posted this thread to facebook, i got a comment saying that these fish are native to australian waters, how are we finding these things in bavaria then, when are these swords dated to???

by chance I was researching some stuff on trade in exotic naturalia in early modern Europe; if you are interested, see some interesting information in this study by Claudia Swan: http://www.arthistory.northwestern.edu/facult...hTrade.pdf
btw, European notables were not the only ones attracted by exotic plants and birds. Some interesting info on Mughal emperor Jahanghir: http://resobscura.blogspot.sk/2011/02/jahangi...odern.html

and sorry again if it´s too off-topic...
J. Abernethy

PostPosted: Fri 21 Mar, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Julien for starting this thread and posting that first image. It is so unbelievably ingenious and insidious looking. I may have to find a Saw Fish bill for my German Two Hander now! You begin to realize how far behind modern fantasy movies and television are from historical creativity, design, ingenuity and beauty.
Michael Harley

PostPosted: Fri 21 Mar, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's another with no more information than 16th. century. The close-up of this one would suggest that the saw is in fact in place of the blade.

Attachment: 86.71 KB
Two-handed Saw ca.16th.C. .jpg

Attachment: 135.06 KB
Two-handed Saw ca.16th.C. 2 .jpg

Information is not knowledge, Knowledge is not wisdom, Wisdom is not truth - Frank Zappa

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bavarian sawfish two handed sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic