Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Should I get my daughter a sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Andy Ternay

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Feb, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Should I get my daughter a sword?         Reply with quote

Mark Moore's topic on wives or husbands with swords inspired me to ask this.

My daughter has been fascinated with my collection since an early age. She has always been extremely careful and respectful of the dangers of swords. Her latest request is a sword for her ninth birthday and she has her eyes on a Del Tin German Dussack on Kult of Athena although I don't think she really realized the proportions and weight of the sword (nor am I willing to spend that much on a first sword for her).

I'm really torn about getting her a sword. On the one hand she is very mature and responsible and has a history of living with swords and not misbehaving or playing with them. On the other, she's nine years old.

I am aware of children younger than her who have their own firearms, usually .22 rifles. I'm also aware of a boy who got his first sword at six years old.

What would she use it for? Mainly display - I would not get her a sharp.

One other thought is that it is not so much her I worry about as other children who come visit or spend the night. They might not be as mature as she is.

"Precious swords...since there for a thousand winters they had rested in the earth's embrace." ~ Beowulf 3048 - 50
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Wed 26 Feb, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
Maybe get her a blunt/trainer first.
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Wed 26 Feb, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Del Tin sounds nice. Why not buy a shorter blade instead? I have a five years old sister and she is also fascinated by swords, probably because of Disney.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 26 Feb, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My four year-old daughter has an early medieval mace reproduction made by Tod of Tods foundry. Really she doesn't care that much about it though as she is into pink and princesses.

She doesn't have much interest in my hobby. Cry Wink

http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/todsfoundry/mace.htm
Evan Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 26 Feb, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My instructor got his daughter this fabri armourm trainer. It's very light, has a really great balance, and has a lot of flex just in case she stabs you.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...ded+Sword+

Semper Vigilantis et Fidelis
Zach H.

PostPosted: Wed 26 Feb, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Honestly, I'd say pick up a couple of Han-wei single hand blunts and a couple of books and teach your selves swordsmanship. That way she gets a sword that would be hard to really hurt people with, has parental supervision, and teaches her how to handle one properly. Not to mention an awesome bonding experience.
Andy Ternay

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Feb, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool everyone! Thanks for the suggestions! I like the look of that trainer. I see they are back ordered so I may check on the next availability of that.
"Precious swords...since there for a thousand winters they had rested in the earth's embrace." ~ Beowulf 3048 - 50
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Feb, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Andy,

Another idea is to get something not metal (as they can still knock somebodys teeth out) and buy a wooden waster, or perhaps better yet one of those Rawlings synthetic wasters? I had one and they are quite fun due to having fairly detailed hilt furniture.

The single hander coupled with the extra long scent stopper pommel, makes an excellent longsword for children.

http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catalog/rawlin...-3441.html
Chuck D.

PostPosted: Wed 26 Feb, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The fact that your daughter is interested in something that interests you is simply outstanding. Nurture it! Get her a sword and teach her how to use it! Wink Tell her myths and fairytales of the shield-maidens of old! There is no reason a daughter can't learn such things and still learn to be a lady. I have a little girl myself. I always envision her better off as a skilled, confident, thoughtful lady than like the default 'stuck up, sarcastic, brainless MTV, promiscuous, pseudo-feminist, man hating ' stereotype we see running rampant among our culture. Sorry for the rant, but I find the news that your little girl wants a sword refreshing and awesome!
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Wed 26 Feb, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds like what she needs is a waster. I gave my niece one at about that age. Happy
Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 26 Feb, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about the Albion Maestro I:33?

It's kind of plain looking compared to that dussack, but it's a great blunt.
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Wed 26 Feb, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I made my Daughter a small sidesword out of oak and added quillons and a kucklebow, my youngest likes to play with a basic made gladius.

Really if they were interested in learning I'd possibly look at getting them something nicer and of metal, but until that is shown I'll buy the swords for myself muhahhaah
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Feb, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to agree with Jimi. Get her a trainer.As exciting as it is to have them interested in our hobby at that age I would not buy anything expensive much less an Albion. I had a niece that loved swords due to watching Xena. I made an entire suit of leather armour plus bought her 2 swords...a Hanwei blunt and a Marto Xena sword. Not much later,they just sat in her closet.
"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Jeroen T

PostPosted: Wed 26 Feb, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You can give her a sword but only let her handle it when you are around.
You could also give her a waster for teaching how to handle a sword and just for getting used to a blade.

My six year old has a dozen wooden and plastic swords and even my first steel sword.

But the steel one he only get's when he asks me. Some times he asks me to handle my (blunt) swords.

I decided to teach him at a young age what a sword is and how to handle it in a safe way. Just in case he ever got his hands on a life blade.
A. Gaber

PostPosted: Wed 26 Feb, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

she likes swords already?nice! i wish my two year old daughter grow up liking swords like me.she is already interested in the wood wasters i have.she calls them sticks and try to imitate me whenever i use my wasters in the house.she doesn't like the sounds it make when they hit each other.i was actually thinking about the same subject two day ago.

i am not as experience about swords like most of the people here.but as a guy growing up, i trained in martial art.i going to share with you what i would do with my daughter if she shows interest to own a sword when she grows up.
i would treat the swords around her like a tool or much like how you are cautious around kitchen knives per sa,it sounds like your daughter is already good that way.second i would buy here a membership to train on how to use swords if not a dvd or something of that sort will be better than books(they are more visual,unless she likes book).cheap trainer and thats it.

when i asked my father to buy me my first boxing gloves(he used to box him self),he shook his head and next day he bought me one month membership in a boxing schools,hand it to me(the membership card) and when i asked what is it he responded"you have to know how to use your hand to box before you have a glove,or it will be a dust collector"from boxing to all different kind of martial arts till i found wushu and that it.requested my glove and needless to say my mom still has my glove with all the sweat and rips and stains on it from use.
so you could see if she is still interested and actually her interest didnt fade away.then she gets the dil tin or whatever you want to buy her. at least she knows how to use them as an educated fencer*(as weapon or a tool).not as a young lady just swinging it(as a toy) in the air every now and again.good luck and GOD BLESS HER.

A.Gaber

Knowledge is a treasure, but practice is the key to it.

Fear not the man who fears God.
Ben Coomer

PostPosted: Wed 26 Feb, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just got my almost six year old his first sword, a Windlass Coustille. We had gotten him a waster first and he took care of it as promised, so we went ahead with a blunt. He can only use it supervised and his friends can't touch it.

If someone is really interested in weapons and you have them in the house, I think it is a good idea to structure how they have access to those weapons and instill proper use and respect for them. It's better than him sneaking away a sharp and just swinging it.
Natalie Holkham

PostPosted: Thu 27 Feb, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't see the harm in it personally as long as it wasn't sharpened. I would have loved it if my Dad got me a sword when I was a young girl! I had to make do with a plastic Thundercats replica sword to fight with instead. Big Grin
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Thu 27 Feb, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I forgot to add that as both my girls are keen on playing with swords (and hopefully both would like to learn), that I have shown them both that even though I may use blunts and sharps (also including knives) they themselves are not to touch for their own safety and others. Mostly I am with them when they want to use the wooden swords and sometimes I let my oldest have a go at cutting by herself and I guide my youngest.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 27 Feb, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bookmark the MRL Deal of the Day bin and check it daily. Some decent swords come up there at a very good price. They're Windlass-blunt, so no great worries there (though I remind my blunt-armed niece and nephew that you can kill a person with a baseball bat). If your daughter's interest fades you can get back much of your investment (sometimes more) through the marketplace here. If her interest grows she can learn how to upgrade the sword--finish, grip, scabbard, etc. The marketplace, too, is a good source for first swords, fixer-uppers and even high-end pieces.

My niece is a budding Arya Stark, and is expecting something from her sword-slipper uncle for her 10th birthday. Not yet sure what it will be. Options include something with a schlager or epee blade (the latter quite cheap at ~$20). Might be a light Windlass blade. I'll have to mix & match parts to find something suitable.

By the way, ditto on the weight of the Del Tin. I've handled that sword, and it's barely for adults, certainly not for kids. Looks good at a distance. Crude up close and feels very dead. FYI, my review is here: http://www.myArmoury.com/review_dt5174.html

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Thu 27 Feb, 2014 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 27 Feb, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Windlass Type XIV would be a great start. That was in the DOTD bin not long ago for a fantastic price. Keep an eye out for it to come up again.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Should I get my daughter a sword?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: