Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Follow up to Starfire Claymore (It takes all kinds...) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Mark Kosmicki

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Follow up to Starfire Claymore (It takes all kinds...)         Reply with quote

I wrote in in July asking if anyone had any experience with Starfire Swords, and got some very gratifying responses. Thanks for all the advice. Let me tell you how it turned out: I plunked down my $600.00 with a certain amount of pre-buyer's remorse as the kilt clad Starfire person lifted my beast down and handed it to me. I hefted it and could barely get that mother off the ground. My immediate thought was "Oh, No. What have I gotten into?" Then I looked deep into it's shiny pommel and fell in love...

It's huge, it's too heavy, it's unwieldy (at first) and it was expensive, but it's great!! It balances nicely, and once I got used to the weight I can swing it around like Conan! It clangs musically against other weapons, and after 4 months of practice I can actually hold my own against people from our (rank, green amatuer) D&D and fake combat group. It's not for everybody, and when I carry it on my back I get more than my share of "overcompensation" jokes, but it's a wonderful blade for an extrovert, and it looks really menacing hanging on the wall.

Thanks for all the advice and responses. I can tell this is a forum that is probably a lot more serious than I am about certain things in sword collecting and mock-combat, but I hope that I can carve a niche in your web-world. Y'all are great!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! I predict that if you stick with this within 3 years you will sell that sword. Wink
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats on acquiring a great piece of gym equipment! Wink Seriously, my first swords were crap, and your Starfire seems to be a bit better. Anything that gets you hooked on this hobby cannot be wrong. And BTW: welcome (back) to myArmoury!
My sword site
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new piece! It's a lot better than what my first sword was, which was a cheap decorative stainless steel katana when I was a teenager.

But these guys are right! Stick with swords a little while longer, and you'll get rid of that Starfire and upgrade. Happens to us all. This is coming from a guy who once upon a time LIKED Starfire swords.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I should add (confess?) that my very first sword was a stainless "ninja-to" complete with black painted blade and plastic tsuka. We all live and learn.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Mark Kosmicki

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ha-Ha! Thanks for the responses, I really do like my new "gym equipment". I'm almost afraid to ask for more advice (I don't want to look like a fool), but here goes...

I'm looking for a blade for my pirate garb. I already have a cheap side hanger that looks ok (but is held together with it's peace-binding) and I'm not looking for the Museum Reps cutlass. I have about $200-250 to spend, and I'm thinking about the MRL Schiavona or the Hanwei practical Mortuary. My question is: Am I on the complete wrong track with these chioices? I'm still new at this, and I'm not sure of my options yet. I love the look of the hilts, and it would be for a lot of costume and a little combat. Any web searches for "cutlass", "schiavona" or anything like that brings up the $75.00 brass hilted cutlass or the MRL schiavona and really nothing else. Any suggestions?
By the way, if this is not the appropriate forum for this type of question, I apologize. I'm still new to this whole "web forum" thing.
Thanks,
Koz Big Grin
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about http://www.armourclass.com/Data/Pages/17Century_Main3.htm ?
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

Try Cold Steel, they might have something. Also try searching for "hanger" as well as "cutlass". here are a few links courtesy of Google.

look about halfway down this page
the first part of this page has a few
Cold Steel's site you can probably find these cheaper other places. I haven't had any dealings with these companies, others might be able to help with that end of things. Here is another link to a MRL cutlass that's in the Axes, Hammers And Maces section (go figure WTF?! ).

Good Luck,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Nate C.

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
How about http://www.armourclass.com/Data/Pages/17Century_Main3.htm ?

or page 2 of the 17th century has a hanger for 145 GBP (approx. $282).

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Kosmicki wrote:
I'm looking for a blade for my pirate garb. I'm thinking about the MRL Schiavona or the Hanwei practical Mortuary. My question is: Am I on the complete wrong track with these chioices?

Neither of these weapons would be carried by a pirate in history.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark Kosmicki

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Mark Kosmicki wrote:
I'm looking for a blade for my pirate garb. I'm thinking about the MRL Schiavona or the Hanwei practical Mortuary. My question is: Am I on the complete wrong track with these chioices?

Oh, I know that. But you have to admit, they do look really neat, and who's to say some buccaneer didn't bring great granddad's old Civil War blade with him to the Indies? By the way, you have an outstanding collection. Very cool, something to strive towards.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Kosmicki wrote:

I'm looking for a blade for my pirate garb. I already have a cheap side hanger that looks ok (but is held together with it's peace-binding) and I'm not looking for the Museum Reps cutlass.

Have you looked at the MRL Hanger (as opposed to the cutlass)? -- Item number 500004 -- do a search for "hanger" at the MRL site.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to ask.

How in the world did you manage to pay $600 for a Starfire?

I do not think I have seen any off their stuff offered at the two faires I usually go to selling for anywhere near that much. Did you buy direct from them or from sombody reselling them? Is it a special edition or something?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Kosmicki wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Mark Kosmicki wrote:

Oh, I know that. But you have to admit, they do look really neat, and who's to say some buccaneer didn't bring great granddad's old Civil War blade with him to the Indies? By the way, you have an outstanding collection. Very cool, something to strive towards.

I'm sorry if this sounds critical, as I don't mean it to be. I'm trying to be helpful while also sharing my own opinion on the matter and trying to understand what you want to accomplish.

WIth your logic, why not carry a blender on your hip and say that you're a time traveler who carried it from the future? Or carry a stone mounted on a wooden club and say it's your caveman ancestor's weapon.

Yes. Schiavone and Mortuary-hilted swords look neat. But if you're asking for help with your pirate garb, I'd think you'd want some advice on what to carry as a pirate. Else you would have asked for help with a neat looking sword.

You asked if you're on the complete wrong track with your choices and I'd say yes, but that's based on equipping a pirate for what I'm assuming to be a renaissance-type faire which would mean: 16th century sea-going individual who is working as a pirate. Maybe it's me who's on the wrong track here.

Can you describe what you're trying to accomplish so that we can better make a suggestion to you?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know nothing about the subject, but here is what looks to be a nice site:
http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/weapons.htm

Nathan, isn't that shell guard hanger featured the one you said you liked from Old Dominion Forge?

Gordon
Ruel A. Macaraeg

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WIth your logic, why not carry a blender on your hip and say that you're a time traveler who carried it from the future? Or carry a stone mounted on a wooden club and say it's your caveman ancestor's weapon.

This, actually, is quite common RenFaire logic when it comes to costuming. Most use the "barbarian" argument -- "Barbarians (or pirates or Vikings or ninjas or whoever) just went around killing people and taking their stuff, so they probably DID use this sword."

As a fashion columnist, I know I've made more than a few such people at RenFaires angry by telling them they lacked both good fashion sense and historical knowledge. After having to repeat myself so many times, I ended up just making a webpage about it. Cool

My Fashion Clinic: http://weaponspage.homestead.com/fashionclinic.html
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ruel A. Macaraeg wrote:
This, actually, is quite common RenFaire logic when it comes to costuming. Most use the "barbarian" argument -- "Barbarians (or pirates or Vikings or ninjas or whoever) just went around killing people and taking their stuff, so they probably DID use this sword."

I'm a well-known costume-Nazi for sure. You've no idea how much time I've spent studying and helping creating and design clothing Happy

Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums.

Really, there's nothing wrong with wearing what you like on your costume... anyone who is going to be ultra-critical of you should probably lighten up a bit. Eek! If you like it, Starfire "beater" or not, and you're having fun... more power to ya! Cool

That said, if you want to be historically accurate... there's a lot of details you'll need to get down. The information on this site will help you - just look around, you won't be disappointed. It's a big step going from wallhanger-type swords to 'semi-real' swords to fully accurate reproductions... just be careful you don't get hooked, your wallet will scream Happy And no, you do not need fully hand-made reproduction swords (ala Albion or AT) for your renfest costume, although the quality doesn't hurt. If I wear a weapon to a faire, I try to use a wallhanger simply for the fact that I will not mind it getting dinked up should I bump against something. As long as it has the right LOOK... historic or whatever I'm going for... I am content.

I personally do not attend renfaires in 'period' garb. Heavy cloak and capelet, split tunic, a good heavy belt, quaterstaff and a nice pair of studded bracers suit me well, color-coordinated for gold/brass and black. Pinning my character down, he'd be from stories I have written, not actual history Happy That may change as I try to pull off a 'highlander' costume some year, but that's something for the future.

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Ruel A. Macaraeg wrote:

I'm a well-known costume-Nazi for sure. )

"Costume Nazi" that's great. My Brit wife has been called that from time to time. She does period clothing (mainly Tudor & Elizabethan) and is real stickler for historical accuracy. The faire we worked with the last 4 yrs were pretty strict on their costuming guidelines ( correct material, patterns, etc).
As far as the pirate sword inquiry, if your only use for this is as a costume piece, one of the MRL's may be your best bet (for now). But as stated earlier, this hobby is like a alcohol/drug addiction....highly addictive and at times highly expensive.

But for straight forward answers and views, you have definitely come to the right place. Nathan and others have created a place of high regard and great,knowledgable members & resourses.

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Ruel A. Macaraeg

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My problem with such people is that they want it both ways -- they want to dress however they feel like, logic or accuracy notwithstanding, yet they also want to be taken seriously, as if they were genuine history buffs. These are invariably the same people who think they speak authentic Tudor English (they don't) and are competent historical fencers too (they're not).

If you want to dress and act like a clown at Faire that's fine, as long as you don't expect to be taken seriously. On the other hand, if you do want to be taken seriously, you need to earn that level of respect by putting a little more thought and effort into your costume. For whatever reason, this is a concept a large proportion of Rennies I encounter can't or won't accept.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Follow up to Starfire Claymore (It takes all kinds...)
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: