Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Falchion scabbard? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Foong Chen Hong

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jan, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Falchion scabbard?         Reply with quote

Historically during 13-14 century, what type of scabbard was used with wide tipped falchion?

The wood core type that used with straight sword or just plain leather?
Are the belt directly fastened to the scabbard like the early sword? Or require two smaller belt to hang on the main belt?

Descanse En Paz
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Falchion scabbard?         Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out what kind of scabbard was used with wide-tipped falchions in the 13th &14th centuries.
“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Foong Chen Hong

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Falchion scabbard?         Reply with quote

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
I'm trying to figure out what kind of scabbard was used with wide-tipped falchions in the 13th &14th centuries.

From what I googled, most people going for the entire length as wide as the tip.

Descanse En Paz
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Falchion scabbard?         Reply with quote

Foong Chen Hong wrote:
Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:

From what I googled, most people going for the entire length as wide as the tip.

That's about the only way you can do it if you want to do an entirely solid scabbard. If you want a more form-fitting scabbard, then you have to slit it at one edge or make it capable of opening in some manner to permit the wide part of the blade to come through the mouth. Turkish kilij often had a long slit on the back of the scabbard, from the mouth down to the first mounting ring, for exactly this purpose. A Western scabbard likely would do the wide-as-the-tip bit, though. It does mean that things can rattle a bit from the blade pivoting slightly at the wide point, but if it's tight along the sides that should be less of an issue.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Falchion scabbard?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic