Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Armor on the modern battlefield Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Armor on the modern battlefield         Reply with quote

This post is no mean to slam politics onto this forum, I just find it interesting,

So this is what's happening in Ukraine with their "domestic" problem, apparently some people are wearing medieval helmets to counter flash bang rubber bullets , and using trebuchet to launch molotov.

And http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wZX4A_i9iM
Although this video is more of a parody, but the people in this video are probably using sticks, along with shields. Maybe this is how war was fought back then?
M. Curk

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan, 2014 3:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting comparison here!
Indeed it seems quite similar to infantry battles fought back then. Very crowded and a lot of pushing involved. If I remember correctly, in Egypt when there were demonstrations some time ago, the government sent 'cavalry' on horses and camels to stop the protesters. And the result seemed to be quite similar to the cavalry charges of the middle ages, they pretty much devastated the infantry forces and made them flee.

Miha
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's also a picture somewhere of a protestor using a bow and arrow, though they don't look very good-- honestly it looks like he just got creative with a tree branch.

Many of the protestors have been using wooden shields as well as shields taken from the riot police. They also seem to have some sort of understanding of group tactics; there are pictures of them forming a shield-wall. This makes me suspect that some of them at least may have experience in the 'buhurt' medieval re-enactments...

Pictures of the police have also drawn comparisons with the Roman legions. They've done the testudo and there's an picture of them in rather excellent marching order.

The violence is deplorable, though. I'd rather not talk about this matter other than to comment upon minor details like these. To go further would get us into forbidden territory here, and there are other places to discuss that side of things.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Armor on the modern battlefield
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic