Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Kingdom Come: Deliverance Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Scott S.

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jan, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Kingdom Come: Deliverance         Reply with quote

"Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a realistic single-player RPG set in medieval Europe. Open-world sandbox with period accurate melee combat. Dungeons & no Dragons."

This game really needs to happen. It's the first kickstarter project I've ever backed and this is the community that can put it over the top and most importantly help with authenticity and direction. Discerning Gamers, the video is worth your time!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/129422597...eliverance

(Admins: Hope the GIFs ok.)
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jan, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes. Wow!
"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jan, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

that (single image) looks cool, and I aplaud the effort... but the recent colapse of Clang! does not fill me with confidence
Raman A

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jan, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This game looks interesting, I think I'll go ahead and back it. The part where the helmet deflected the sword sold me. I've honestly never seen a game where armor actually worked that way, and not just extra hit points or reduced damage. Even if the game turns out not that great I want more games to move into this sort of physics-based simulation. I don't demand absolute realism from a game since that's just silly, but I generally have trouble getting engaged in medieval/fantasy games when the combat is just standing next to each other, hacking through squishy armor to see who has math on their side. Not my thing.

I was never interested in Clang! because I felt that if a person wanted to experience HEMA, then they should just join a club and actually practice HEMA. No video game on current technology is going to come close to realism. This game, on the other hand, is offering something that just HEMA training and sparring doesn't: adventure, exploration, roleplay, more than just one on one fights.
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jan, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the look of it stirs my interest - I'm a sucker for graphics. only realistic sword fighting game that I remember even coming close was Bushido Blade 1 & 2 back in the day. the simple aspect that there was no HP idea and a single hit was fatal made it such a challenge when you did one on one with your buddy. me and my brothers lost an entire summer to that game

I certainly like the idea - I'd give it a play. story line and replay value would definitely cause me to loose serious life experiences on it. Laughing Out Loud
Foong Chen Hong

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jan, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes please, not many game has chosen to go this direction, never even War of the Roses did this.
Descanse En Paz
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jan, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

looking good. have supported, good to see the numbers rolling up!
Michael Anderson

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jan, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like they have already hit their target, which pleases me greatly. I'm not into computer games at all but this has enough about it to go out and buy one of the consoles it will be supported on. I backed it immediately.

I've already laughed with my overseas living history friends that it will be like meeting up for an event when we are too busy or poor to leave the house or country!
Devon Fraser Pollock

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jan, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am REALLY impressed with what you've come up with here. I know a dozen people who would pick this up the second it arrived in stores.
"May those that love you, love you. And those that don't love you, may god turn their hearts. And those whose hearts cannot be turned, may he turn their ankle so you will know them by their limp" - Scottish blessing
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jan, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm glad too, I just hope there will be an ale house or chapterhouse where like minded souls can meet and argue about styles of swords/scabbards/ etc etc etc.....
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With the advance of gaming technology, by 2015(if this game makes it) this game might have full support of oculus rift, which will allow you to have a first person handling, so this might as well turn into a real simulation(with a control rod or something like that on ps4 and motion sensor). This might be good for those who wish to fight AI computers and your character moves and attack swings like you do due to the sensor. But this is as far as gaming can go in terms of realistic combat, for now.

According to them it's still in fun raising, so this might not happen. The developers also are trying to make this game historical.
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Lee wrote:
With the advance of gaming technology, by 2015(if this game makes it) this game might have full support of oculus rift, which will allow you to have a first person handling, so this might as well turn into a real simulation(with a control rod or something like that on ps4 and motion sensor). This might be good for those who wish to fight AI computers and your character moves and attack swings like you do due to the sensor. But this is as far as gaming can go in terms of realistic combat, for now.

According to them it's still in fun raising, so this might not happen. The developers also are trying to make this game historical.

Actually according to the video, if they meet their goal (which they seem to have exceed with 26 days still to go) their backer will finance the game to fruition. This was a test to see if the publishers are wrong and there really is interest in an historically based game with an as accurate as possible combat system. I suspect if the numbers keep climbing the way they are now they will at least double their goal and this game will see the finish line.

Winter is coming
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Kingdom Come: Deliverance         Reply with quote

I've actually put a lot of thought into how I would do a skill-based fencing system in a game.

Basically, you'd only need one button for attacks, one for parries, and then a directional pad or control stick for directions. There would be eight attack directions including the thrust and eight corresponding parries and ripostes, and two attacks that cross each other automatically parry. The rest would be a matter of timing and distance.

I think the key to a good swordfighting game is to aim for something more advanced than a simple "universial block button" and "combo attack button" mechanic, while at the same time not overthinking the issue. If it's not something that can be easily understood and mastered just by pushing the right buttons on a controller, you are kinda missing the point about video games. That's why I was always highly sceptical to Clang. It always seemed like the people involved understood swordfighting much better than they undesrtood games.

As for this game, it does looks pretty solid and I'm rather curious just how this combat system of theirs actually works. It sounds awesome but they're also kinda vague on how it works.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Michael Wiethop

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Finally! The game I've always wanted! I'm definitely donating. The sword clanging off the helmet sold me, too.

I wonder exactly how the blocking mechanic will work. In Mount and Blade, attacks could come in four different directions: above, left, right, thrust. In order to block an attack, you would have to move your mouse in the direction of the attack while holding the block button before you were hit. Alternatively, you could prepare a counterattack directed towards their swing just before they hit you, which would stop their attack and enable you to land a hit before they could possibly recover, but I never mastered that technique.
P. Schontzler

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's disappointing to see the long sword classified as a slow moving weapon unsuitable for mounted combat. But otherwise this is the game I've always wanted. I think the success of games like Mount and Blade should be enough to show interest.
Theo Squires

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Schontzler wrote:
It's disappointing to see the long sword classified as a slow moving weapon unsuitable for mounted combat. .

Yeah, I was surprised by that. I mean, the longsword is a very fast weapon, in the right hands. I think the following video is a good demonstration of its speed and agility.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwYi_uOwGtY

Maybe by longsword they mean great sword (a la Albion Maximilian Landesknecht sword) ? Or it could be that longswords "need" to be slower but do more damage for game-play reasons.

On the whole, though, this game looks very promising. I've always wanted a medieval rpg built on a good engine with fancy graphics etc. The idea of just being able to journey around a reasonably accurate environment without coming across trolls and dragons every ten metres is nice.
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure some of the zweihanders had a POB close to the guard. I've handled the del tin 6167 before, it says it's over 5lb but the thing was pretty light in two hands. This whole two handed weapons being heavy, if you look at the fantasy ones then I would say "Yes, that looks heavy!"
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I thought that this game was confirmed for next-gen consoles at this point. Am I wrong?

I'm also excited about the game- but really more as another, hopefully immersive RPG. I really don't expect realistic western swordsmanship to ever appear in a game. Like movies, the aim of video games is to entertain first and foremost. They are simply not going to spend the time to faithfully reproduce something close to historic fighting techniques.

They might do "this little thing" sort of right but the whole execution is not going to be accurate.

I just backed the game as well. I guess I just hope that it comes out on the PS4;
Scott S.

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Warhorse has just released a new 15 minute update video which touches on the progress of the kickstarter campaign but most interestingly is also a short documentary about the in-game world map, including comparisons between two real-world castles and their virtual medieval counterparts. Overall a satisfying amount of new game world footage with promises of combat, characters, horse riding features etc. soon to come.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294225970/kingdom-come-deliverance/posts
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jan, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I read that folks contributing a great deal of money to the project will receive "a hand-forged Battle-ready" sword. I wonder who is making these.

With the ubiquitous "battle-ready" I wouldn't expect the highest quality. An interesting thing to note nevertheless.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: