Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Knives or Eating Sets Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Tom King

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It isn't as high brow as most of the knives in this thread, but at the production level Mora knives look very good for the utilitarian minded reenactor. They can be found on Ebay for ~$15 and the laminated steel blade traditional knives are between $30 and $45

I have a Pakistani knife and pricker set myself, but that isn't kosher to bring in the dorms so i don't have a photograph

Attachment: 183.15 KB
mora.GIF

Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sa'ar Nudel wrote:
Timo, if I'm not wrong, your smaller Chinese set conceals a decorated ivory toothpick on front.

A pair of them. Bone or ivory, I don't know. This is the only set I have with anything other than the basic knife and chopsticks (and one other one with a slot in the scabbard for a thin extra thing (and nothing surviving to put in it)).

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Sa'ar Nudel

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo Nieminen wrote:
[
A pair of them. Bone or ivory, I don't know. This is the only set I have with anything other than the basic knife and chopsticks (and one other one with a slot in the scabbard for a thin extra thing (and nothing surviving to put in it)).

From my work with those sets I found out that toothpicks are a usual accomodating tool, but you may also find a thin long stiletto thingy called 'pickle spear'.

Curator of Beit Ussishkin, regional nature & history museum, Upper Galilee.
Jeremy V. Krause

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is my 14th c. eating knife made by Leo Todeschini and Owen Bush. The bolsters and butt cap are silver, scales are bone, blade is shear steel, and the pin work is silver. I think it's pretty cool.

Attachment: 195.98 KB
jeremy_1small_188.jpg

Attachment: 175.32 KB
jeremy_2small_140.jpg

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's my latest group shot. I'll be adding another knife in the next few months, so this will change again. Such is the life of a collector. Happy

Attachment: 40.11 KB
Knives 062013.jpg

Attachment: 50.23 KB
Knives 062013-2.jpg

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy, I really love your 'be merie' knife. Very cool.
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Love that one on the bottom, Chad. Not quite a sgian achilles(sp?), not quite a dirk, but maybe just a little more than a steak slicer/apple peeler...........good all-arounder there! ............McM
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
Love that one on the bottom, Chad. Not quite a sgian achilles(sp?), not quite a dirk, but maybe just a little more than a steak slicer/apple peeler...........good all-arounder there! ............McM

Mark,
The bottom one is a sgian achles, based on one of the few examples people confidently call a sgian achles:

It's fairly big compared to the rest, but falls within range of the original. The grip is a bit beefier, but the rest of the specs are pretty close to the original, I believe.

Happy

ChadA

Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is an older picture of my "collection" (all made by me), and two more recent pieces.

Attachment: 73.39 KB
zbierka.jpg

Attachment: 126.47 KB
brass-handle-2.jpg

Attachment: 73.56 KB
noz-rohovina-1.jpg

Raymond Deancona

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jun, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is my latest knife. Saw it on Gullinbursti's Facebook page and it just "spoke" to me. So, now it's mine! And is my go to knife for every chore possible. This is Petr's picture, as I am NOT a good photographer.

Attachment: 138.59 KB
[ Download ]
Raymond Deancona

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jun, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are 3 more of my eating/daily carry medieval knives:
top is from Tinker
middle is from ML knives based on some examples from the knives and scabbards book
bottom is A&A

all 3 have plain back stitch sheaths, didn't think the sheaths needed to be part of the picture

Attachment: 208.4 KB
S7301262.JPG

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A move and then continued car shopping has kept me true to my oath for no swords this year. I had more than a wild enough year last year to sate my appetite and funds have been sparse enough. I did though buy a knife last month. Partly in re-capturing some lost youth in remembrance of my dad's knife from WWII.

This is an E.G.Waterman knife and recognized as a non-regulation military knife of WWII. I had sold off my Western L-77 stiletto just last fall and somehow a hankering for a knife of the 1940s has kind of itched since then. I had "borrowed" my dad's EGW several times as a scout but it always returned to him. Lost in the shuffle of decades following that, his disappeared and searched high and low on his passing, never found it.

There were several variations sold under the Waterman name, most with actual bottle lifts and saw backs. This one though what I remember and it had always been in his navy kit of stuff in his tools. Whether it had been a contracted ship deal or personal purchase, I don't know. His last rating on the U.S.S. Dayton was as a first fireman and his duties were always as an electricians mate.

At any rate, I found a crispy at a very attractive price and could not resist it. My dad had altered his by substituting a smaller washer than these EGW butt plates. Someone elsewhere had turned up a good photo of an air crewman before Okinawa with one on his hip.

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 86.63 KB
7813.jpg

Attachment: 105.38 KB
7813 a.jpg

Attachment: 135.81 KB
7813 b.jpg

Attachment: 55.86 KB
7813 c.jpg

Attachment: 109.03 KB
7813 d.jpg

Attachment: 124.37 KB
7813 e.jpg

Attachment: 91.25 KB
Okinawa TBM Crews EGW Knife - A.jpg

Attachment: 85.22 KB
Okinawa TBM Crews EGW Knife - B.jpg

Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice knife Glen.

If you look at photos of WWII servicemen, especially in the Pacific, it seems like just about everyone has a substantial knife at his hip.

This inspires me to show some photos of a WWII knife I bought fairly recently, a theater-modified, Camillus Mark 2. Someone back then decided to put a D-guard on it, adding a dimension to its function.

Attachment: 98.37 KB
cam3s2.jpg

Attachment: 96.21 KB
cam1s.jpg

Attachment: 96.48 KB
cam6s.jpg

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Roger

The MkII is certainly one of the most iconic of WWII knives and modifications in the field do add to interest.

Stumbling into a box lot containing the Western L-77 years ago was a bit serendipitous and I would have been sad to let mine go except its returning more than a tenfold profit. Although I do admire a lot of other knives of WWII, particularly the M3, I am usually on the fence when window shopping. Even moreso than watching old sword listings. The EGW was perhaps the most watched and the way it was listed may have been why I got it for a relative song (no one seemed to be watching it as listed). Other than that, it will likely be a matter of yard and garage sales bargains before I buy another modern military knife.

Cheers

GC
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Sun 11 Aug, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Two of my 12th C eating & utility knives

Top: whittle tang knife with a pattern-welded blade. Bought it at Pennsic. Blade was made by someone in the Ukraine. It's an unglamorous utility knife.

Bottom: whittle tang knife with a pattern-welded blade. Blade was made by Owen Bush. Handle and scabbard by Tod. A real beauty. More on the design and making of this knife at this thread by Tod: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...highlight=

Both whittle tang blades are typical for the 12th C: a pattern-welded core wrapped around a steel edge, with a wrought iron back. The tabbed scabbard is not so typical of the 12th C, but was found in that century. The bottom scabbard without the tabs was more typical.

Attachment: 202.07 KB
[ Download ]
Robert Frey

PostPosted: Sun 01 Dec, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's the eating set I picked up yesterday at Arms & Armor during their "Sword Saturday" event. It was a very enjoyable time and worth traveling the distance (93 miles one way according to Google maps).

Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jan, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another 12th Century pattern-welded whittle tang knife that I am adding to my collection.

Made by from Thorkil.

I commissioned a blade that was typical typical for the 12th C: a pattern-welded core wrapped around a steel edge, with a wrought iron back.

Attachment: 228.05 KB
100_6767b.jpg

Attachment: 201.85 KB
100_6774b - Copy.jpg

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jan, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry Marinakis wrote:
Another 12th Century pattern-welded whittle tang knife that I am adding to my collection.

Made by from Thorkil.

I commissioned a blade that was typical typical for the 12th C: a pattern-welded core wrapped around a steel edge, with a wrought iron back.

Really nice! I'm envious. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some teaser pics of my latest. This was acquired in a trade from Tod. It's part of a line of new pieces coming to Tod's production arm, The English Cutler. It's based off museum pieces and fits the period 1250-1350. The grip is bone, horn, and brass. The scabbard is incised with decoration in period style as well.

Sorry the pics aren't better; they were quick "throw down" shots.

Attachment: 36.14 KB
knife 2.jpg

Attachment: 41.81 KB
Knife 1.jpg

Happy

ChadA

J. Hargis

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad:

Perhaps you recall that I bought my first 'Tod' piece from you, the 2nd piece shown below. Tod has that certain knack, no question about it. This latest piece you displayed is typical Tod brilliance. Thanks.

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Knives or Eating Sets
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: