Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > By-Knives and Bauernwehr on a Messer Scabbard Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: By-Knives and Bauernwehr on a Messer Scabbard         Reply with quote

I am looking to put together a messer, scabbard and knife set, and I have a question about the set. Recently, I bought the following bauernwehr and by-knife from Tod’s Stuff: http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/in-stock/img-ts-instock-13-large.jpg. What I wanted is more information about was the placement of them on the scabbard. Peter Johnsson has previously indicated that the by-knives and prickers tend to be placed side by side on the outside of the scabbard. In the case of the bauernwehr and by-knife I have purchased, I don’t think there’s enough width to place them side by side on the scabbard. But are there historical examples in art or surviving scabbards where one knife is stacked on top of the other knife when contained in the scabbard? Or, alternatively, are there examples where there is a knife on one side of the scabbard, and a by-knife on the opposite side of the scabbard? (This arrangement seems less than optimal, since it would prevent the scabbard from lying flat against your waist/leg).

From the image of the scabbard for Maximilian’s messer, it looks like one knife could be placed lower down on the scabbard than the other. My main concern about this is that, since the bauernwehr I have purchased is so large, there may not be room for both knives on the scabbard if they were placed in a manner similar to the Maximilian scabbard arrangement.

My other question is, are there historical examples of scabbards holding a large bauernwehr like the one I’ve purchased? Or should I only bother creating a single pouch on the scabbard to hold the smaller by-knife instead?
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would bet there are prickers down the spine of the scabbard, like a rigging knife, that leaves room for a by knife on the side. Speculation only, but it would look practical.
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are a lot of topics on this site showing many examples of sword scabards with by-knives and prickers. Have a look at this topic for example: Scabbards with Dagger Sleeves.

I can't imagine a reason to want to mount your bauernwehr onto a grossemesser or sword scabbard.

This is what I did.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

I can't imagine a reason to want to mount your bauernwehr onto a grossemesser or sword scabbard.

This is what I did.

I had a look at your messer scabbard last night Nathan, and it gave me a fairly strong impression that I should only mount the by-knife, and not the bauernwehr. Thanks for the confirmation that I should only include the smaller knife.

Since the bauernwehr scabbard already includes a slot to hold the by-knife, I am toying with the idea of ordering a second by-knife, one with a wood handle, that can be placed in the messer scabbard. If I really wanted to be extreme, I could have a messer with by-knife and scabbard on one hip, and the bauernwehr plus by-knife tied to the suspension on the other hip. ;-)
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

This is what I did.

I had a look at your messer scabbard last night Nathan, and it gave me a fairly strong impression that I should only mount the by-knife, and not the bauernwehr. Thanks for the confirmation that I should only include the smaller knife.

Since the bauernwehr scabbard already includes a slot to hold the by-knife, I am toying with the idea of ordering a second by-knife, one with a wood handle, that can be placed in the messer scabbard. If I really wanted to be extreme, I could have a messer with by-knife and scabbard on one hip, and the bauernwehr plus by-knife tied to the suspension on the other hip. ;-)

Yes. I fully support the two-hip, four-bladed idea. Happy

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > By-Knives and Bauernwehr on a Messer Scabbard
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic