Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Archer's Axe? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kenneth B

PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Windlass Archer's Axe?         Reply with quote

Hello All-

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Windlass Archer's Axe? I am looking for a 100% functional, period axe for my hunting kit.....

It will be used for:

shelter building, game processing (including whitetail deer) and wood for the campfire......

I cannot find anything on here in regards to quality and functionality....

Only chasing our dreams are we truly set free....it has always been thus and always thus shall be...
Kenneth B

PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If this is incorrect for the 14th C or is of dubious quality, what would you suggest?
Only chasing our dreams are we truly set free....it has always been thus and always thus shall be...
Peter Messent

PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few points to make,

Firstly, it's later than my area of study, so I can't provide much opinion on its historicity.

Secondly, I have a Windlass axe, the Danish Hand axe, which I modified and it is decent. It's not the best axe I own (mostly woods axes though, not historical!) but it's decent. Based on my experience with that Windlass Axe, I would assume it to be of reasonable quality, with regards to temper.

That being said, note that all windlass products are pretty blunt. I believe it's illegal in India to export sharp swords/weapons/knives. I rough out the edge on all axes I buy with my belt sander before going to stones - if you aren't able to do that, it can take a while, so be prepared. The geometry will likely need changed, as well. On mine, the poll was slightly off-center and the blade was slightly crooked. Not huge points, but would disappoint some.

Also note that it will probably need a new handle. My windless axe had a handle of unspecified wood that was far too thick and not at all well-fitted to the head. It had no wedge, merely a rivet through the axe head to hold it on the handle. Shims of wood were driven between the axe handle and the eye and cut flush. This is a good example of bad work. Might be OK for display but I wouldn't place any faith in it. If you don't know how to properly hang an axe, hit me up and I'll square you away, axes are a love of mine and not terribly difficult if you can work a saw, knife, file and sandpaper!

Kult of Athena pictures show the bad fit of the handle:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...Archer+Axe

Regarding cost/value, it depends how you look at it. If you see it as a historical replica, it's pretty fairly priced. If you look at it just as an axe, though, it's overpriced IMO.

Hope that helps some,
Pete
Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey,

Not sure what exactly your looking for but you might be better served by one of these: http://www.hbforge.com/products/polled-axes.php or http://www.black-bear-haversack.com/index.php...hawks.html

I guess it depends on what exact period your looking for but if functional is more important than the polled camp axe may be the way to go. Now that I found that site I might have to pick one of those polled axes up with some Christmas money. The small one might make a nice belt axe.

I think these should work for just about any period. Now I know an expert will able to pick out all sorts of features that differentiate one small axe from another but as I understand it these small camp axe sort of things are fairly similar across time and cultures. Well at least Europe and later North America through trade.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel,

Wish I had seen this a few weeks ago. That large spiked axe is awesome! I will have to get me one of these.

RPM
Josh Wilson

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I picked up an 18th C style tomahawk and with about a half hour or work on the belt sander, and a file and some scotchbrite I turned it into a very nice looking bearded axe. I only paid $30 for it.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 24 Dec, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can't go wrong with a Cold Steel hawk. I have the spike hawk, pipe hawk and Norse hawk, and love them all. With a little work, they can be made to look very good, once you wire brush wheel all that awful black paint off. When thumped, the head of my Norse hawk rings like a bell, and it will handle almost any chore I put it to. Big Grin .....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Archer's Axe?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic