Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Evolution Arms Limited Run Interest / Opinion Poll Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

Which swordx would you like to see a limited run of?
Flared Shoulder XIV
61%
 61%  [ 30 ]
XVIIIb Longsword (1520)
38%
 38%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 49

Marc Ridgeway

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 16 Dec, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Evolution Arms Limited Run Interest / Opinion Poll         Reply with quote

Hello folks.

With 2014 looming , we at Evolution Arms are trying to do a bit of planning with our production schedule. The backlog swords have begun shipping and are cut already , and that leaves the machine free for new peoduction.

So what to do ?

Well , what we have planned is a very exciting year.

The machine will be cranking up any day on a run of "light" two--handers. Bigger that your typical XIIa and XIIIa but not quite a Schlachterschwerter , but nice big swords.

Then we hope to kind of alternate the production schedule between limited runs of classic designs, and new stuff we want to try . Some pretty good ideas are gonna be realized . Certain models which are "stock" Evolution pieces will be run regularly every few months... swords like the Phat Bastard , 1557 , annd XIIa.4 to name a few.

So after the two-handers clear the machine we are going to do a limited run of a Gus classic... in this case either the flared shoulder XIV or the 1520 longsword.

XIV:

That's where you come in.

Is there any interest in participating in a limited run of a classic design? We aren't talking preorders here, no sword will be sold before it is in-stock and ready to ship. Just trying to gauge interest and gain insight into what sword people would rather see . By limited run , were talking about maybe 5 pieces.

I am posting a poll, please select an option if it interests you... and what the hell , feel free to comment and suggest other classic designs that you might be interested in seeing a run of in the future .

Prices aren't set ... but I think we are talking around $1000 with a scabbard and suspension option to add a few hundred. This would include the highly buffed finish, Evolution heat--treat, custom wrapped handle , true apple seed edges and historically correct geometric cross sections.

Thanks for your help.

Marc Kaden Ridgeway
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Mon 16 Dec, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The XIV looks fantastic!

But, when an XVIIIb is offered as one of the options, that's the one I'll choose (it's my favorite type).

Speaking of ATrim classics, would Gus be open to the idea of resurrecting the SBS (the first letter stands for "Swedish")?

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 16 Dec, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll throw a couple of old designs into the ring -

The AT2103 leafblade - a sword that you never see in the classifieds.
The AT1532 XVIIIa with a different pommel from the original's

Attachment: 29.54 KB
ms2103.jpg
AT2103

Attachment: 69.88 KB
dn1532.jpg
AT1532
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the past I had seriously thought about ordering an Atrim Danish two-hander. It would be nice to see that sword around again...
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Luka Borscak

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I voted for XIV but I would definitely buy that 1532 broad XVIIIa if it was available.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It would be great for a Type XIV to have a curved guard. Oakeshott notes they're "rarely straight." The curved guard is much more typical for the type.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Luka Borscak

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
It would be great for a Type XIV to have a curved guard. Oakeshott notes they're "rarely straight." The curved guard is much more typical for the type.

True, but accidently, I like it straight much more, although I'm usually a nazi regarding historical accuracy. Big Grin
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

AT1403 and an AT1593 get my votes.
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Neil Langley

PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a flared ATrim XIIa (I can’t remember the exact model) that is one of my favourite swords full stop. I bought it primarily for cutting with - and since had years of happy use from it - but I firmly intend to have a more historically accurate 'copy' made some day because I love it so much.

Not surprisingly I voted for the XIV but, as Chad says, with a curved cross please! By the way how are these to be peened (assuming they are) - I am not totally sold on Gus's 'mechanical' jobs?

Neil
Marc Ridgeway

PostPosted: Wed 18 Dec, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well , the guard on this one is turned down ever so subtly. Enough , Gus thought , to remain "legal" while maintaining a certain aesthetic .

Anyway , Neil , think I had one of those too . It was a makers mark model , which I think post dated all of the model numbers , but I could be wrong .

Gus absolutely , positively is a believer in his permanent mechanical assembly . With him being a machinist , I can certainly see why . I have been nudging towards a hot peen option myself , and may eventually get something worked out .

I have to note though , while we certainly strive to maintain the dynamic properties of historic originals, and are also striving to bestow out pieces with less austere aesthetic , primarily our mission is still centered around what Atrims have always been about... Trying to optimize the desirable characteristics of the type in a package that focuses on good physics , resulting in a sword that we feel handles , cuts , thrusts at the upper end of the types potential . Optimized performance in other words. Of course that can be subjective to the person , which is why we offer several differently proportioned models of most types.

I know that there are those that scoff at the idea that performance is quantifiable and dislike claims of focusing on performance , but I believe performance is eminently quantifiable . So does the recreational industry , where physics , materials and methods have been employed to wring ever increasing performance out of such things as golf clubs , tennis rackets , baseball bats , even bicycles and frisbees .

So while I have nothing but respect for the companies that are producing realistic recreations of museum originals , that is simply not our mission , and we are not competing with them in that respect.

It's a limited market sure, but I hope it's big enough for both philosophies.

Marc Kaden Ridgeway
Lance Morris

PostPosted: Wed 18 Dec, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: heyyyyy         Reply with quote

I own this sword now!!! love it

"The AT2103 leafblade - a sword that you never see in the classifieds."

Flared Shoulder XIV all the way. Matter of fact. Put me down for one?
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 18 Dec, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A nice Scottish or Irish hilted model ought to go over well. Just my opinion. Big Grin ........McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 18 Dec, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marc Ridgeway wrote:
Well , the guard on this one is turned down ever so subtly. Enough , Gus thought , to remain "legal" while maintaining a certain aesthetic .

It is very subtle, and in no way reflects the kind of obvious curve normal to swords of the type. Happy

Can you tell me (or point me to) info that explains Gus's mechanical assembly method being used here?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Neil Langley

PostPosted: Wed 18 Dec, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marc Ridgeway wrote:
Anyway , Neil , think I had one of those too . It was a makers mark model , which I think post dated all of the model numbers , but I could be wrong .

Yes that's the one (it came via Christian Fletcher) it 'fits' me just perfectly.

Marc Ridgeway wrote:
So while I have nothing but respect for the companies that are producing realistic recreations of museum originals , that is simply not our mission , and we are not competing with them in that respect.

It's a limited market sure, but I hope it's big enough for both philosophies.

I fully understand the aesthetic; I know some people dislike Gus's work due to the divergence from 100% historic authenticity (apperence not handling), but I think they are missing out on the sheer joy of the performance - I'm just greedy and want both Happy ! On the other hand I have never felt any reluctance to get one of mine out and cut with it; something I cannot honestly say about some of my other swords; and I have learned a lot because of that.

Neil.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 19 Dec, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the spirit of the poll, i voted for the 1520.

It is always nice to see the projections for work from Gus but the market seems to become a runaway train in expectations and wishes. Gus has his own formula for production and although there are a great many classics that would be popular with a few, it doesn't easily mesh with reality. The only assurance of interest in is these threads but we are looking at the need for preorders or finished product. In stock will surely move.

Best to Gus

Cheers

GC
Marc Ridgeway

PostPosted: Thu 19 Dec, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why yes , Glen . The 4 I recieved days ago sold quickly .

Actually , it's funny , of the ones mentioned in this thread , several are planned for production now . Like NOW. Gus and I have had a series of phone calls and emails trying to plan production, and I believe we have hit on a winning formula .

Chad , let me get back to you . There are several threads on several forums describing it , but I'd prefer to have the data direct .

Marc Kaden Ridgeway
Robert Morgan

PostPosted: Tue 31 Dec, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I voted for the XIV. But...

This will sound totally insane, but I would love to see the XIV's blade together with the 1520s cross, grip and pommel. Does that sound nuts? Probably, but it would make for a super sword!

Bob

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Evolution Arms Limited Run Interest / Opinion Poll
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic