Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's On Your List for 2014? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 04 Dec, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: What's On Your List for 2014?         Reply with quote

So what is on your list for 2014? It doesn't have to be something you definitely will buy - it could be something that you sure with that you could have.

As for me, I'm at a crossroads where I must decide if I'll continue having custom swords made, or switch over to production models.

If I go custom, it will be the only thing I get next year. I would have Arms and Armor make a version of the mysterious German baskethilt shown below.

If I go production, I may have Danelli Armouries make their version of the same sword.
There are a couple of A&A swords I'd like to get - the Grunwald and the Munich Town Guard Sword.
Someday I must get a John Lundemo sword - maybe the Morrigan.

So how about you?

Attachment: 35.9 KB
proto_schiavona_1500-1550.jpg
German Baskethilt
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 04 Dec, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger, I say go custom. Having a collection of really high-end pieces made to your specification is really satisfying. You have the rest of your life to keep collecting. You might has well add one really amazing piece a year. After no time, you'll have far more pieces than you know what to do with! I must say that I love the antique you have chosen as inspiration. Get it done!

As for me, I've just sent my EB Erickson 16th century complex hilt to Arms & Armor to have them make and mount a Type XIX (-ish) blade for it. I might also get a scabbard created.

I have another hilt coming from EB Erickson as well. It was actually last year's project, but got pushed into this year. You guys will have to wait to see what that is.

That's probably it for me in 2014.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Larry New

PostPosted: Wed 04 Dec, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hoping to be able to score the Highland Claymore from A&A........Larry
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 04 Dec, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've got a custom project scheduled with Rob Miller slated for mid-year. That's the only definite thing for 2014. I currently have orders in with Arms & Armor and Albion. Delivery is scheduled for this year on both, but one is now late and the other will be by the end of the month. In the end they may wind up on the 2014 list, unless I cancel them.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 04 Dec, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have two custom projects that will be completing... One is a Petersen type V. It will have the full silver and copper-alloy inlay on the hilt, and the blade will be inlaid with an VLFBERHT variant signature. It is a composite of several very similar type V examples from Shestovitsy, Torblaa Ulvik, Gnezdovo, and elsewhere.

The other is a Pattern-Welded Vendel Behmer type 6 from Jarkko Niskanen. PW blade, with brass/bronze hilt components.

Both of these will be done fairly early in the year. Jarkko is projecting January, as the blade is already in production, and the pommel is being sculpted in preparation for casting. Robert projects completion in the Spring.

That will probably be all I can do in 2014. I do have plans in the works already for 2015 though, and even one queued up for 2016...

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 04 Dec, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wife's losing her job and mine's under pressure so probably nothing for me!
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 04 Dec, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, let's see. Nothing too ambitious, but I have prioritized two things: aquiring a good modern representation of each of my favorite original medieval swords, and refining the ones that I already own.

On the first point, like many people I admire the famous double-fullered sword in the British Museum that was found in the River Witham. I used to own the Ollin version, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I thought about a high-end custom version but the price for all that inlay was greater than my desire to own it. So for now I've settled on an Albion Vigil with the diamond wrap. It's on order.

On the second point, I decided to make some changes to one of my custom swords. Its an excellent sword that would likely suit many people's tastes as it is, but I thought of some ways to make it better suit my taste and improve its historical accuracy relative to the originals. The cost is not prohibitive, so its just been shipped back to the shop that made it. That will be revealed when its done.

I've also got an idea for a custom project based on some early 14th century artwork, but it remains to be seen if this happens in 2014.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 04 Dec, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have one project with Robert Moc for the beginning of next year and then nothing. Maybe I'll get something else...I have been thinking about a simple type XI with a wheel pommel for some time now. Maybe I'll get it made next year.
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Wed 04 Dec, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd like a complex hilted sword, though a Sempach seems to be on my constant want list, heres hoping for a finiancial windfall! Then theres also an Albion Doge..
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 04 Dec, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have orders in with the following for 2014:

John Lundemo - Fantasy Long Viking Blade w/ Morrigan Fittings
Vladimir Cervenka - Viking Sword
Christian Fletcher - Shieldmaiden Viking Sword
Raven Armoury Type X Blade Remounted in Viking Fittings by Yeshua's Sword
Cedarlore Forge - Viking Sword
Rob Miller - Ranger Sword

Non Timebo Mala

Last edited by William Swiger on Thu 05 Dec, 2013 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Tom King

PostPosted: Thu 05 Dec, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A friend of mine has taken up building plate armor, so probably some jack chains and other items from him; he is surprisingly good at fluting.

I'm also looking for a doglock through middlesex trading or something nice from pedersoli, and maybe an english civil war breastplate through Robert of Stokewood, if I don't go for a 15th century breastplate instead.

Attachment: 168.06 KB
jack chains.jpg

Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Thu 05 Dec, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I few months ago I took the plunge in the custom world and put a down payment in at A&A to make me a "big" sword. Its going to be of bastard/2-hand proportions but the specifics are still not set as I am still a bit down on the waiting list. I had originally intended it to be of XVIII type, a wide bodied version and still may end up doing that, but recently I am really enthralled with the idea of this being a later period blade type, something with a hexagon cross section, little profile taper with 3 thin fullers (possibly a XX) but more along the lines of these German bastard swords that fall outside of Oakeshotts typology....at least in my mind they do. Its really hard to make a decision that's for sure.
Foong Chen Hong

PostPosted: Thu 05 Dec, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A sword from Regenyei Péter I hope.
Descanse En Paz
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Thu 05 Dec, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Josh Davis is making early 15th cent arms and legs for me based on this chap

http://www.flickr.com/photos/taylordave/35364...otostream/ to complete a v nice harness I bought in the marketplace here.

Hoping to get Jeff Wasson to do me a simple frog mouth or great bascinet with similar visor to upgrade my jousting kit. Need a viking sword from somewhere and hope to do one of Owen Bush's courses if i can find the time.

My main thrust is a Mk IV female tank from 1917. If you are going to be in armour on the battlefield, best cut a dash! Not that 4mph is exactly dashing about..... And before you ask, no, its actually a static prop but 1:1. Thats my feb and march sorted.

In April I'm going to a WW2 battle site on the Burma/India border. Not a bad 4 months!
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 05 Dec, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had to sell all but three pieces of my collection this year Sad so what I most want to get in 2014 is BUSY. Here are some definite and possible projects, not showing a sword for my niece and an old Windlass Ravenna that shows promise. All that's enough for a couple of years at my current rate of progress.

I also want to tinker with some airguns. I was a 10m rifle competitor in high school and I have a bit of that bug again. I'll never own anything like the GI Feinwerkbau I used back then, but I've acquired a couple of cheap-but-good, .177 rifles from the Civilian Marksmanship Program (just up the road from me) and the People's Republic of China. Just yesterday I discovered both the Crosman Custom Shop and its "20 percent tuesday" sale. Eek! You can build a custom target air pistol for less than a terrible sword, and with free engraving and shipping. Subtract 20 percent and it's in the range of some arms and armour books. Gadzooks!

Attachment: 202.51 KB
projects.gif

Attachment: 189.16 KB
crosman.gif

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 05 Dec, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
I have two custom projects that will be completing... One is a Petersen type V. It will have the full silver and copper-alloy inlay on the hilt, and the blade will be inlaid with an VLFBERHT variant signature. It is a composite of several very similar type V examples from Shestovitsy, Torblaa Ulvik, Gnezdovo, and elsewhere.

The other is a Pattern-Welded Vendel Behmer type 6 from Jarkko Niskanen. PW blade, with brass/bronze hilt components.

Both of these will be done fairly early in the year. Jarkko is projecting January, as the blade is already in production, and the pommel is being sculpted in preparation for casting. Robert projects completion in the Spring.

That will probably be all I can do in 2014. I do have plans in the works already for 2015 though, and even one queued up for 2016...

Awesome Robin- You have good taste.

As for me- I am working with Jim Austin on an historically constructed Petersen type M axe using wrought and sheer steel.
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Dec, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Robin Smith wrote:

Awesome Robin- You have good taste.

As for me- I am working with Jim Austin on an historically constructed Petersen type M axe using wrought and sheer steel.

Ah, thank you! And same can be said for your choice. I had flirted with the idea of a Jim Austin axe with iron and sheer, but I just could not afford it with these other projects. Jim's axe's are bar-none the best closest axe available IMO....

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Thu 05 Dec, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

2014 should be a collection upgrade year for me. Just a few days ago I ordered Albion's NG 'The Burgundian' with their red grip covering. A wait of ca. 16 weeks I'm told, but well worth it.
http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...-xviii.htm

I'm also awaiting Arms & Armor's Koln Messer dagger with a custom scabbard, should have that within a week. So not quite 2014 on that one.
http://armor.com/dagg241.html
Also on my mind are an Albion Ritter, an Albion Landgraf. and maybe a step into another period, a Smallsword from A & A. Walk on the wild side, eh?

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Thu 05 Dec, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My 2014 wish list? I hope to keep it blank.

But I'll probably buy a nice sword, like a pattern-welded Viking sword or a classy Medieval grete sword or two-hander.

I am in the queue for a really nice custom tooled scabbard but that won't come around until 2015. I don't have a sword for the scabbard, so obviously I have to buy something.

Right?
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 05 Dec, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joy and happiness to all.

As in the past couple of years, I would really like to find that dark grip undecorated Bolton eagle pommel sabre and a white gripped full dress Osborn eagle. Prime shape and with scabbards would be a plus. While I have "excuses" to fill those two voids, those would complete a serious quest for swords of the early 19th century.

Happy Holidays

GC

Attachment: 55.55 KB
drkhrse h.jpg
Bolton dark grip need sabre w/o etchings

Attachment: 96.15 KB
61413.jpg
White gripped Osborn spadroon with full blue&gilt decorations

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's On Your List for 2014?
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: