Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My EBE longsword hilt, 2012 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: My EBE longsword hilt, 2012         Reply with quote

For the last few years, my collecting interests have moved onto complex-hilted Renaissance-era longswords. Some of the projects that have been created for me include a custom "Swiss Saber" from Arms & Armor, an EB Erickson complex hilt from around 1525, a custom German Bastard Sword by Arms & Armor, and a South German longsword made by EB Erickson.

Continuing with this trend, I contacted ElJay Erickson this last year to create another complex hilt that will be mounted onto a longsword blade, probably a variation of an Oakeshott Type XIX. As a means of research, I posted a discussion topic asking for examples of a particular type of hilt that I was considering for the project. After some thought, I decided to go with that direction and so here is the hilt that served as the primary inspiration for this year's project:

ElJay's hilt arrived a few weeks ago and I finally had a chance to take some photos to share with you. I'll let them speak for themselves, but suffice it to say that I think he nailed it. The impression of the new hilt really captures that of the antiques that inspire it. As usual, ElJay's eye for detail is exceptional.

Photos of the hilt:

Click any photo to see a full-sized version
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan,

I've been having dreams about replicating this particular hilt. This has to be the most beautiful recreation I've seen of such a type.

I'm going to lie down for 30 minutes to recover and bin my worthless sword collection without further due Happy

You need a hell of a blade, worthy of such a splendid hilt...and I need to learn to weld asap!

Congratulations to Eljay for this amazing work and to yourself for commissioning such an interesting sword.

Very inspiring.

J

edit: what kind of documentation did you provide Eljay to achieve such a result? Did you have access to the original?
Also are you going to choose a Deltin blade as you've favored those in the past?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you, Julien, for the comments.

Julien M wrote:
I've been having dreams about replicating this particular hilt. This has to be the most beautiful recreation I've seen of such a type.

I agree. I've seen very simplified versions of this hilt that only really resembled these originals in form alone but had none of the decorative elements to them. Along with being simplified beyond recognition, these versions were scaled oddly and had the wrong proportions to them. ElJay's version is the only newly created version of this type of hilt that I can remember seeing that actually resembles the antiques.

Quote:
what kind of documentation did you provide Eljay to achieve such a result? Did you have access to the original?
Also are you going to choose a Deltin blade as you've favored those in the past?

ElJay is able to create these swords simply based on photographs combined with his extensive knowledge of antique originals. He's been collecting antiques for decades and so has a solid grasp of proportion, scale, and the proper use of decorative elements that allows him to mimic these antiques so well.

I've only used Del Tin blades on my collection pieces when makers such as ElJay already had a blade that he would then modify and mount up. In other instances, I've had a lot of problems getting my hilts mounted up. I have a hilt currently at Arms & Armor. They are creating a custom blade for it. I intend to go the same route with this hilt, too.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

more amazing work from Eljay, and kudos to you for the research and commission. what a craftsman! what a collection!
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is some more great work by ElJay. It's my turn to be envious. So A&A will be making a type XIX blade for it? Have you decided with them how long, how wide, how thick the blade should be?
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
That is truely a beauty! Can I have it? :-)
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stunning! Nathan, you choose the most interesting projects and ElJay always follows through. I cannot wait to see the entire package when the blade is added.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When you look at ElJays work, you cannot describe them as any other than magnificent or some similar hyperbole. However most of his work is in a period/style that I am personally not that interested in so I can admire them and him for what they are but ultimately it is not for me.

This piece on the other hand truly speaks to me on so many levels - it is as usual magnificent, but it also catches my soul. The detail is impeccable as is the finish - a truly beatiful piece.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
So A&A will be making a type XIX blade for it?

Maybe. That would be my preference. I'd like to see it happen, for sure. They've been making a blade for a hilt for a long time already so I need to see that one completed before giving them another project. They remain the premier choice for this type of work, in my opinion.

Quote:
Have you decided with them how long, how wide, how thick the blade should be?

I usually just give some rough targets to the makers and let them decide what works.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stunning work! Eek!
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eljay continues to outdo himself. Such amazing work!
David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shiny. Anyway, is there any standard reference comparable to Oakeshott's SAC/Records for this kind of complex-hilted longsword?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Shiny. Anyway, is there any standard reference comparable to Oakeshott's SAC/Records for this kind of complex-hilted longsword?

Well, there's no typology for such a thing except for The Rapier & Small-Sword: 1460-1820, by A. V. Norman which discusses all kinds of hilt forms, pommel shapes, hilt features, and other things. There's a ton of books that feature arms and armour from the 16th century, of course, but nothing that I know of that attempts to specifically categorize them.

Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What if I'm not looking for a typology--just a book with sufficiently many and representative examples to choose from should I decide to commission such a sword in the future (as I probably will)?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What if I'm not looking for a typology--just a book with sufficiently many and representative examples to choose from should I decide to commission such a sword in the future (as I probably will)?

Then European Weapons and Armour: From the Renaissance to the Industrial Revolution, by Ewart Oakeshott is a necessary addition to your library so that you can read about the original of many of the forms. Other than that, auction and museum catalogs and the like are a wonderful source for photographic materials, particularly German examples.

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

Then European Weapons and Armour: From the Renaissance to the Industrial Revolution, by Ewart Oakeshott is a necessary addition to your library so that you can read about the original of many of the forms. Other than that, auction and museum catalogs and the like are a wonderful source for photographic materials, particularly German examples.

I agree there is an illustration in the book showing what Oakeshotts describes as being 1/4 hilts. half hilts, 3/4 hilts and full hilts depending on the complexity and completeness of the various hilt elements. ( Just from memory, I haven't looked up the book for this post ).

I just bought an A&A Dresden Rapier in large part to being " seduced " towards complex guards by this really pleasing hilt as my period of main interest is usually earlier.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
I wonder,with the blade, how heavy it will be? Meaning, do you think it will be useable with one hand, or will it be a dedicated two hander?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Karl Knisley wrote:
Hello
I wonder,with the blade, how heavy it will be? Meaning, do you think it will be useable with one hand, or will it be a dedicated two hander?

I'd imagine it to be like any other hand and a half: usable one-handed, but intended for mostly two-handed use. It's not a heavy hilt.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 25 Nov, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So it's taken me this long to do so, but I finally sent this hilt to Arms & Armor to get a blade made and fitted to it!
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 25 Nov, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

and all the people said, "amen." can't wait to see what will be another spectacular whole piece !
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My EBE longsword hilt, 2012
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: