Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Supplier for Lochaber Ax Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Supplier for Lochaber Ax         Reply with quote

Seeking some information....

Does anyone have a source for a Lochaber Ax which is based in Europe. A member of my Scottish Clan Society who lived in Belgium is looking for one. I have found a custom maker in the US who makes a great looking ax but it would be, of course, cheaper and more convenient to locate a European source for one.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Christian Borglum

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Lin,

Owen Bush makes spectacular axes. He's in the London area, just a channel ferry ride from Belgium. I would think he'd be able to make a Lochaber Ax for your clansman. [url] www.owenbush.co.uk[/url]

Cheers,

Christian Borglum
Bennison N

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi mate!

Is Turkey too far away? If not, I highly recommend Alper Serdar and his smith Ali. He can be found on Facebook with his name.

Alper and Ali made me a replica of Met Museum Accession No. 69.156 and this is the toughest, most amazing axe I've ever seen. It has consistently broken most other weapons it has made forceful contact with, and with no visible damage.

Now mine is obviously an Islamic style axe, and made to BotN/HMB blunted specs, but the same guys have also made a Bardiche and a pair of short bearded axes for other members of the New Zealand HMB scene.

It's the hardening and heat-treat, you see. To be frank, I think shooting (low-calibre) bullets at it would hardly damage it.

Here's a pic of the Met piece and the axe. I had the etching done here in New Zealand by an artist friend (Jared Holland).

Attachment: 5.24 KB
1426BurjiMamlukAxe02.JPG
Met piece

Attachment: 132.56 KB
received_m_mid_1382604001194_eb675ec8a9175bcc36_0.jpeg
My piece before hafting.

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Stuart Quayle

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: For Sale: Lochaber Axe         Reply with quote

Hi Lin

I have one for sale for GBP £250+pp from the Isle of Man, Great Britain.

I bought this axe locally on the island, originally it came from an antique shop here and certainly looks very old. I am not too sure about the blade, it could be a Victorian made copy, and was certainly attached to someone's wall as the haft has been drilled through in two places to mount it on a wall.

However, the hook and other iron/steel fittings of the weapon-head appear to be all hand forged and very old. The wooden haft looks very old also.

It is a Lochaber type axe and is based in Great Britain, and I want to sell it. What the postage would be like to Belgium I don't know of the 'top of my head' but that could be established.

Pics attached.

Attachment: 59.77 KB
Lochebar+axe+9 resized.jpg

Attachment: 66.63 KB
Lochebar+axe+10 resized.jpg

Attachment: 80.74 KB
Lochebar+axe+7 resized.jpg

Stuart Quayle

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Lochaber axe.         Reply with quote

Some more images of the axe. The axe blade edge has been rebated.

Attachment: 98.25 KB
Lochaber axe 3 resized.jpg

Attachment: 111.93 KB
Lochebar axe 1 resized.jpg

Attachment: 135.82 KB
Lochebar axe 2 resized.jpg

Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Supplier for Lochaber Ax         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
Seeking some information....

Does anyone have a source for a Lochaber Ax which is based in Europe. A member of my Scottish Clan Society who lived in Belgium is looking for one. I have found a custom maker in the US who makes a great looking ax but it would be, of course, cheaper and more convenient to locate a European source for one.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Lin,

You might check: http://www.wulflund.com/weapons/axes-poleweap...lica.html/

It is from the Czech Republic. They also have other polearms which might be suitable.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My thanks to all of you. I will relay the information to my friend. All the attachments look good and I am sure he can find one he likes thanks to your help.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Supplier for Lochaber Ax
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic