Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Guy Laking's definitive work Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Guy Laking's definitive work         Reply with quote

I just stumbled on very encouraging information. Sir Guy Laking's seminal work "A Record of European Armour & Arms Through Seven Centuries (5 vol. set)" is getting reprinted in 2005 ISBN: 0404183441. The current pre-order price is $295 on Amazon.com. I know it is 1/2 the price of a sword but I will definitely get it. It is still better than the lowest price I found for the old edition ($1749.5).

There is also a new "Catalogue of the European Armor and Arms in the Wallace Collection at Hertford House" by G. Laking.
It is published September 2004, ISBN: 1417949341. I wonder how much overlap is there between this book and the "old" 2 or 3 volume set from 1962?

Now if only Jan Petersen's work gets reptinted.........

Alexi
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sat 04 Dec, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:

And The Sword in the Age of Chivalry....

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sat 04 Dec, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
Alexi Goranov wrote:

-Grey

I'll second that!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sat 04 Dec, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
Alexi Goranov wrote:

-Grey

"The sword in the age of chivalry" (by E. Oackeshott) IS reprinted. I bought mine new a few months back for about $20.

Alexi
Adam Lloyd

PostPosted: Sun 05 Dec, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Isn't the Sir Guy Laking stuff all filled with Victorian assumptions that end up being very inaccurate info? A lot of research has been done since then and makes it simply wrong kind of like Stone and those authors. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I mean no offense
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 05 Dec, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam Lloyd wrote:
Isn't the Sir Guy Laking stuff all filled with Victorian assumptions that end up being very inaccurate info? A lot of research has been done since then and makes it simply wrong kind of like Stone and those authors. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I mean no offense

It has long been the standard reference for arms and armor (mostly armor). I know Oakesott expressed disagreement with some hypotheses put forth by Laking ( for example the evolution of the viking pommels) but that does not mean that Laking's work is not worth reading and understanding.

It should also be a nice catalogue of arms an armor, which is enough to make it worth the money.

Alexi
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Sun 05 Dec, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi,

Thanks! Last time I checked that was not the case. I guess I'll have to order a copy.

-Grey

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 06 Dec, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great news although I shudder to shell out that much for a book. Of course that's why my reference library is so weak in general in the first place...
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Mon 06 Dec, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ,

If you are willing to go with a paperback, Amazon.com has The Sword in the Age of Chivalry for $24. I admit that $65 for the hard bound is more than I want to spend, but is not unreasonable. Since the Laking is a 5 volume set (as I understand), that comes out to slightly less than $60 a book. If they are hardbound, as I suspect they are, then the price really isn't all that bad. That doesn't meant that I am going to rush out and buy it, but I'm rather cheap.

-Grey

Adam Lloyd

PostPosted: Mon 06 Dec, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
It has long been the standard reference for arms and armor (mostly armor). I know Oakesott expressed disagreement with some hypotheses put forth by Laking ( for example the evolution of the viking pommels) but that does not mean that Laking's work is not worth reading and understanding.

It should also be a nice catalogue of arms an armor, which is enough to make it worth the money.

Alexi

Thanks Alexi!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
Russ,

If you are willing to go with a paperback, Amazon.com has The Sword in the Age of Chivalry for $24. I admit that $65 for the hard bound is more than I want to spend, but is not unreasonable. Since the Laking is a 5 volume set (as I understand), that comes out to slightly less than $60 a book. If they are hardbound, as I suspect they are, then the price really isn't all that bad. That doesn't meant that I am going to rush out and buy it, but I'm rather cheap.

-Grey

Hey Grey,

I was referring to the Laking set, I've long since bought The Sword in the Age of Chivalry. Happy I did not realize that it was a 5 volume set, that makes it a bit more palatable doesn't it?

Brian W. Rainey

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Laking reprint that you are refering to does not exist. Call the publisher if you want a verification.

The publisher has been pushing the publish date forward for a LONG time... for more than a few years. I have been watching it since about 2001, IIRC.

Do yourself a favor and spend your $295 elsewhere. I can lead you in a decent direction for armour books, if you would like.

There was a VERY limitted reprint done a few years back through Trotman, I believe. However it was limited to only 100 copies, I believe. The quality of the pictures in the reprint was less than desirable. I have a photocopy of an original and the reprint wasn't much better.

The information in the book is excellent. While there are things in it that have been revisited over the years, it is still a definitive work. The reason being is that much of what Laking touched on has yet to be refuted in any formal fashion.

There are a number of pictures in the book on pieces of armour that are no longer in the state shown in 7 Centuries. A bascinet from the Met's reserve collection, for one.

If you are looking for a substitute to laking's 7 Centuries, grab anything by Blair. I would suggest articles by J.G. Man, also.

Check here for books and let me know if you want any information on anything in either collection:

http://www.armourguild.org/members/brian/booklist.html
http://talbotsfineaccessories.com/armour/BOOKLIST.htm

Brian W. Rainey
Armour Research Society
Journal of the Armour Research Society
brian@armourresearchsociety.org
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Drat! Thanks for the tips Brian...
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just wanted to say that I agree fully with Brian. The Laking set is an imperative piece of any book collection, but not something I would suggest to anybody who's not already built a significant library already. As with any collection, choices have to be made during the building of a library and there are many, many other titles that I'd consider absolutely necessary over Laking. In fact, I'd say without these other titles to "ground" or refute some of the material in the Laking books, one might get an incomplete picture of the subject by relying on Laking alone.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Brian W. Rainey

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I just wanted to say that I agree fully with Brian. The Laking set is an imperative piece of any book collection, but not something I would suggest to anybody who's not already built a significant library already. As with any collection, choices have to be made during the building of a library and there are many, many other titles that I'd consider absolutely necessary over Laking. In fact, I'd say without these other titles to "ground" or refute some of the material in the Laking books, one might get an incomplete picture of the subject by relying on Laking alone.

On that note;

I could put together a bibliography of cornerstone works, if you would like? Is there anything similar on the site right now?

Brian W. Rainey
Armour Research Society
Journal of the Armour Research Society
brian@armourresearchsociety.org
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian W. Rainey wrote:
The Laking reprint that you are refering to does not exist. Call the publisher if you want a verification.

The publisher has been pushing the publish date forward for a LONG time... for more than a few years. I have been watching it since about 2001, IIRC.

Do yourself a favor and spend your $295 elsewhere. I can lead you in a decent direction for armour books, if you would like.

There was a VERY limitted reprint done a few years back through Trotman, I believe. However it was limited to only 100 copies, I believe. The quality of the pictures in the reprint was less than desirable. I have a photocopy of an original and the reprint wasn't much better.

The information in the book is excellent. While there are things in it that have been revisited over the years, it is still a definitive work. The reason being is that much of what Laking touched on has yet to be refuted in any formal fashion.

There are a number of pictures in the book on pieces of armour that are no longer in the state shown in 7 Centuries. A bascinet from the Met's reserve collection, for one.

If you are looking for a substitute to laking's 7 Centuries, grab anything by Blair. I would suggest articles by J.G. Man, also.

Check here for books and let me know if you want any information on anything in either collection:

http://www.armourguild.org/members/brian/booklist.html
http://talbotsfineaccessories.com/armour/BOOKLIST.htm

This is informative.

I know that the book I was referring to is listed as coming to print in Dec. 2005, so yes it does not yet exist.
Well then I will try to catch something else.........the Curburg armoury Catalogues for "mere" $860. (not for now....)
I will look for the references you pointed and see if something is available now-a-days.

Alexi
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

*If* this does reach print I'll surely buy one. I've read laking but never owned a copy.

I do have to agree on the subject of this as a definitive reference. It's a great addition to any library but should not serve as the foundation for one. Laking's information has been surpassed by more up to date rescources in many areas.

It would be nice to have it on my shelf though.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
*If* this does reach print I'll surely buy one. I've read laking but never owned a copy.

I do have to agree on the subject of this as a definitive reference. It's a great addition to any library but should not serve as the foundation for one. Laking's information has been surpassed by more up to date rescources in many areas.

It would be nice to have it on my shelf though.

I second that. Lets just hope that it ever reaches the press.

Meanwhile, I'd have to "get by" with some Claude Blair books which appear to be readily available and cheep too.

Alexi
Adam Lloyd

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

can you list Claude Blair's books that you'd suggest?
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Dec, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian W. Rainey wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

On that note;

I could put together a bibliography of cornerstone works, if you would like? Is there anything similar on the site right now?

I'd like to see something like this on myArmoury. It would be a great reference. Plus I'm a manager for Border Books so I can get the material cheap . . . hehehehehe.

Seriously though. I think that a collection of "important" sword and armour works would be an invaluable resource.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Guy Laking's definitive work
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: