Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion Viking sword date question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Greg E

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 18 Sep, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Albion Viking sword date question         Reply with quote

I am thinking of getting either an Albion Stamford or Albion Reeve. What are the date ranges these were used? They have the same blade so I am trying to figure out some other way to determine which I want.
Thank you
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 18 Sep, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Albion site says 11th century. I think you could sneak into the early 12th with either, if you don't mind having a sword that would be a bit old fashioned for the time... What time period do you want?
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 18 Sep, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi!

We have dated the Reeve to somewhere between 1180 - 1150. The Stamford has been dated to around 1000-1100.

I must confess that I find exact dating difficult. Depending on your source, your result will vary slightly or significantly.
Using Geibig as your standard will give you a well supported dating, but he has worked with German material only. There may be swords outside the find area that could shift the dating somewhat.

If you go to the site of Albion Europe, there is a time line for all the swords Albion produce showing the period you would typically find these swords in use. At each sword there is also a little time line giving the general dating.

Reeve: http://www.albion-europe.com/swords/swords-by...x?model=67

Stamford: http://www.albion-europe.com/swords/swords-by...x?model=54
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 19 Sep, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Hi!

We have dated the Reeve to somewhere between 1180 - 1150. The Stamford has been dated to around 1000-1100.

I must confess that I find exact dating difficult. Depending on your source, your result will vary slightly or significantly.
Using Geibig as your standard will give you a well supported dating, but he has worked with German material only. There may be swords outside the find area that could shift the dating somewhat.

If you go to the site of Albion Europe, there is a time line for all the swords Albion produce showing the period you would typically find these swords in use. At each sword there is also a little time line giving the general dating.

Hey Peter, sorry for correcting you, but I guess you meant 1080-1150, not 1180-1150. Wink
P.S. Btw, I think even Reeve could be dated quite a bit earlier, but yes, that depends what sources are you using...
Greg E

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 19 Sep, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Gentlemen. That information does clear it up for me. I was looking for which one could be most firmly dated to the Viking era. It seems that the Stamford would be dated earlier into that era and would be the one I would choose. Though I must confess that the Reeve is a bit more pleasing to the eye to me.

I guess that leaves only one option. Purchase the Stamford now and find the Reeve later.

Peter, thank you for letting me know about the Albion Europe timelines. That will come in handy.
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Thu 19 Sep, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I first started to research which Albion I wanted, the Stamford was the one I gave serious thought to. Very classic blade with the "tea cosy" pommel. Of the several Albion models that share a blade, I like the Stamford/Bayeux/Reeve the best, such classic looking swords, all 3 of them.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 19 Sep, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Peter Johnsson wrote:
Hi!

Hey Peter, sorry for correcting you, but I guess you meant 1080-1150, not 1180-1150. Wink
P.S. Btw, I think even Reeve could be dated quite a bit earlier, but yes, that depends what sources are you using...

Ha!

Thank you very much my watchful friend :-)
FIngers are quicker than the mind sometimes, it seems...

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion Viking sword date question
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic