Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The 'Official' I want a maker to make such and such thread, Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: The 'Official' I want a maker to make such and such thread,         Reply with quote

I noticed we have a lot of Official threads on myArmoury so I want to start this one.

Scott Roush and I are working on a Migration era sword together, well he is working on it, I am trying to figure out what all i want.

But.......

I Officially want Albion-Swords to do a new migration sword (Big Grin)

So what would my friends 'Officially' want a company or maker to do?

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
I`d like to see more complex hilts and later 14th-17th century stuff.Oh...and pirate swords:-)
Brandt Giese

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would love more offerings of quillon daggers from A&A and Albion.
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Karl Knisley wrote:
Hello
I`d like to see more complex hilts and later 14th-17th century stuff.Oh...and pirate swords:-)

From who though?

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brandt Giese wrote:
I would love more offerings of quillon daggers from A&A and Albion.

Yes, Bollocs and Ronnells as well!

There have been some really beautiful daggers posted on here, it would be grand if some of the major companies took those up as well

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
If Albion would make some basket hilts or other complex hilts,I think I would swoon:-)
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Indeed Karl that would be nice. I think there are a lot of custom guys that do really good baskets but if you want a 'off the shelf' basket your kind of hosed, quality, variety and ascetics are just not what Albion could do.

Does A and A do one? I always forget to check their sight, I should buy something from them Laughing Out Loud

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Christine Munro

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I thought that the Armour Class basket hilts were quite well regarded...
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christine H wrote:
I thought that the Armour Class basket hilts were quite well regarded...

I forget about them too, I think everything Armour Class does is really well made.

There are a lot of good companies I just dont think about. I have 4 basket hilt swords in my collection. I want to get two or three more for specific display I saw once I want to recreate

I can not find the photo on line but a sort of 'fan'. I basikly want to do 6 basket hilts in a 90 degree fan with the points of the blade under a targ

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Official' I want a maker to make such and such thre         Reply with quote

David Lewis Smith wrote:
I Officially want Albion-Swords to do a new migration sword (Big Grin)

So what would my friends 'Officially' want a company or maker to do?
But can Albion really do a typical migration period sword justice? I mean, unless Albion starts doing pattern welding, it seems like they would be missing the "heart" of what the typical sword of that period was all about...

(Then again, I'm not a fan of the majority of Albion's viking offerings. Too many types that typically would have inlaid hilts being done in plain steel.)

Honestly, I don't know if there is much I want the big makers to do. For the most part, I have moved on to custom makers, becauce the things I want being highly individual and specialized like inlays in the blades and inlays in hilts. I suppose I am happy to see the Soborg sword having inlay from Albion, and I would like to see more like that... Though I would prefer it to be actual wire inlay, not the faux-inlay gilt etchings. Still, its a step in the right direction

I would also like to see more complex metallurgy: Differential tempering, bloom iron and carburised/blister steel, and iron cores with welded on steel skins or cutting edges, etc...

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine

Last edited by Robin Smith on Thu 12 Sep, 2013 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would love to see a nice migration sword or two developed by Albion. Weapons of that era are some of my favorites. I'd be willing to live without a pattern welded blade if the price point was reasonable and the hilt was nicely done. Unfortunately, migration era hilts are some of the most difficult to do. The price point on an Albion level migration sword would be high enough, you'd be just as well off going full house custom with a pattern welded blade.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I would love to see a nice migration sword or two developed by Albion. Weapons of that era are some of my favorites. I'd be willing to live without a pattern welded blade if the price point was reasonable and the hilt was nicely done. Unfortunately, migration era hilts are some of the most difficult to do. The price point on an Albion level migration sword would be high enough, you'd be just as well off going full house custom with a pattern welded blade.

Unfortunately, to me at least, this seems to be THE problem. At least for the things I am interested in, there is not much left for big makers to do without crossing into full custom price ranges. For the most part, it seems to me that the areas with a lot left to be desired are things that are mostly aesthetics and not easily suited to larger scale production: Pattern welding, inlays, etc...

...Perhaps that is just where my interests lay.

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

Unfortunately, to me at least, this seems to be THE problem. At least for the things I am interested in, there is not much left for big makers to do without crossing into full custom price ranges. For the most part, it seems to me that the areas with a lot left to be desired are things that are mostly aesthetics and not easily suited to larger scale production: Pattern welding, inlays, etc...

...Perhaps that is just where my interests lay.

You're absolutely right. The things you mention would take a sword out of the production niche just on price alone. All of those processes are too labor intensive and the price would reflect that. At that level most people want something individual for their money, not the same sword as their fellow collector. Custom is really the only option for those things, unless you want inferior, "kinda sorta" examples made in China which most of us don't. I don't see a problem though, as the things you desire can be obtained. A production company like Albion has far more overhead than the smaller one man shops that typically produce such things. If Albion produced a totally authentic migration sword it would probably run more than one you'd buy from the likes of Vince Evans or Patrick Barta, just based on overhead alone.

Raymond Deancona

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like to see Albion do more in the Squire line. Also, I would like Del Tin (and Albion) to have a "create your own sword" system similar to MRL grouped by time period for mix and match blades, guards and pommels.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd like to see Albion expand their Skirmish Line. There are only three Viking swords there right now, and nothing new for some years.. They should design some Medieval swords for that line from between 1050 and 1550.

I'd like to see Arms and Armor make a production version of Oakeshott's Moonbrand. (Records XIV.7) After all, they have the original in their possession, left to them by Ewart Oakeshott.

It would be great if someone could make a good production version of a Walloon sword.
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am always fascinated by steam of consciousness created by a tread. Threads grow on their own it seams. Both the original intent i proposed and a grand other intent grows from this, one of custom compared to mass production.

I own a Migration D and a Bog sword from Albion. Albion could not produce pattern welded swords but say 100 of a new type of a mono steal sword would be grand.

I have moved to customs as well but I still want to see old friends produce the things I love

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I'd like to see Albion expand their Skirmish Line. There are only three Viking swords there right now, and nothing new for some years.. They should design some Medieval swords for that line from between 1050 and 1550.

I'd like to see Arms and Armor make a production version of Oakeshott's Moonbrand. (Records XIV.7) After all, they have the original in their possession, left to them by Ewart Oakeshott.

It would be great if someone could make a good production version of a Walloon sword.

do you have photos or a link to that?

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Lewis Smith wrote:

do you have photos or a link to that?

Photos or a link to which - the Skirmish line, Moonbrand at A&A, or the Walloon?
Greg E

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like to see Albion do more Squire Line offerings. And A&A do a few more Viking Types, like a type F, G, M, P or Q .
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 12 Sep, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Lewis Smith wrote:
I am always fascinated by steam of consciousness created by a tread. Threads grow on their own it seams. Both the original intent i proposed and a grand other intent grows from this, one of custom compared to mass production.

Thread drift alert! Big Grin

I still have plenty of customs and production pieces in my collection and probably always will. However, the production pieces have to have interesting aspects to their design that sets them apart from the rest of the field. Some of the Albions in my possession, the Maximilian, Vigil, Svante, etc. have those qualities in their designs and are interesting to me. Most of the standard patterns that are made by multiple companies? Not so much anymore.

After more than thirty years in the hobby I can honestly say there isn't anything that I'm drooling for anyone to make. The choices available today are vast, compared to even fifteen years ago and the quality is leaps and bounds above where it used to be. There's a veritable cornucopia of designs available on the production market, and the internet has allowed us to have contact with a truly impressive array of custom smiths. If I can't find it in a production piece having it created by a smith is only an e-mail away. This is truly the best time to be a sword lover.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The 'Official' I want a maker to make such and such thread,
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: