Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Technical difficulties and Musings Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Technical difficulties and Musings         Reply with quote

Hello All,

I had come here to post about some of the technical difficulties that my site has been experiencing lately, but the thread about the 10 year anniversary of myArmoury got me thinking about other things as well, so I thought I would load it all up into one post.

First about the site. If any of you have been trying to get to it for the last few days you will have noted that it has been down. Apparently, there was a bad switch somewhere in Chicago that took a bunch of the textdrive web servers off line including the one where my website resides. Today the site is back up so I assume that it has been repaired. However, it has convinced me that I probably need to move my website to some other hosting service that is a bit more reliable and a whole lot more responsive to anguished customer requests. That's something I will be looking into.

Along with that, however, the thought occurs to me that my site has been in it's current incarnation since 2006. That's not to say I haven't switched out the work that has been displayed there, I certainly have, if you pay attention to such things hopefully you think the newer stuff is superior to the older. From a historical perspective I can tell you it is for sure.
Last time I redid the site I traded someone a high end scabbard for the rewrite. I would be willing to do that again if anyone is a web designer and is interested. If not I'll either figure out how to do it myself, or hire someone to redo the site.

In thinking about this and the 10 year anniversary however, I got to thinking about forums and friends and acquintances past. I suspect that a good portion of them don't frequent the board anymore, although in some other posts I noted that Patrick had checked in, Roger, Jean, Glen, Joe, Robert, Chad, Sean and other names I recognize still seem to be about. There are probably others as well, but I''ve pretty much been persona non grata myself around here for the last few years.

I've been wondering why that is.

In any event, I've got some swordy excitement happening later this year, that I'm looking forward to sharing and I think it's time I quit being so awol and try to give back a little. We'll see if this resolution holds up. Happy

Thanks for reading the rambling.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Robert B. Marks

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is a bit of a shock, coming back to discover that things have changed.

In my case, I went AWOL from the community for a few years, mainly because I had gotten into Viking re-enactment, and I could only spend my time and money on a certain number of things at a time (a Crohn's diagnosis and a couple of flares didn't help - it's hard to be in a sword collecting hobby when you're unable to work due to poor health for about a year). So, historical clothes and shield walls took over from swords (along with learning to play the violin...badly).

Then I came back, and holy crap had things changed. Sword Forum was nearly a ghost town, Angus Trim had gone rather quiet, Hanwei had scored Michael "Tinker" Pearce for a sword line (seriously, I never saw that one coming), Last Legend had shut down, and EVERYBODY had raised their game. It wasn't just "blink and you miss it," it was "blink and you miss a monumental shift in the entire sword industry."

Anyway, welcome back, Russ! Looking forward to seeing your new work!

Robert Marks
Darksword Armory, Inc.
www.darksword-armory.com
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, Swordforum really does seem like a ghost town, I find myself only checking-in once a year or so. On the other hand, I'd say myArmoury has grown since I first started reading in 2004-2005 and I still recognize many old names. I put it down to covering a broader variety of topics, a great 'front page' site with articles, and attractive presentation.
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Technical difficulties and Musings         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Hello All,

In thinking about this and the 10 year anniversary however, I got to thinking about forums and friends and acquaintances past. I suspect that a good portion of them don't frequent the board anymore, although in some other posts I noted that Patrick had checked in, Roger, Jean, Glen, Joe, Robert, Chad, Sean and other names I recognize still seem to be about. There are probably others as well, but I''ve pretty much been persona non grata myself around here for the last few years.

I've been wondering why that is.

Well, neglectful in posting regularly maybe, as persona non grata would mean more being " unwelcome here ", and I don't really think that this is the case. Surprised

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona_non_grata

In my case I still look at the site a few times every day, but my posting has slowed down due to other writing commitments collaborating in trying to write a Science Fiction/Military Fantasy book mostly helping with concepts and backstory ideas.

Anyway, doing it is mostly just fun for me and the primary writer who is the real story teller, but it does take up many many hours of typing time every day, so I'm less inclined to want or need to comment and post on as many Topic threads as before: So, for other people it may also be a question of how much time is taken up by other things that they have less time to post. Some may have drifted to other interests or they may have already asked every question they may have thought of and are not posting as often, even if they still visit the site.

A lot of new people sort of take up the slack fortunately.

So, Russ glad to hear from you. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ,

Good to hear from you, and it's good to see you're still in the business.

I took a bit of a self-enforced hiatus from the internet for a few years myself. Spending too much time on-line can warp your sense of reality and priority, I think a lot of the old timers have found that out. I've found that most discussion forums have seen a decline in their participation, including this one. I wonder if this has to do with a change in on-line media itself. More people seem to be living on facebook all the time, and companies are starting to use it as a means of communication and updating as well. Perhaps discussion forums are becoming obsolete? Fortunately, myArmoury was always seen as a data archive with a discussion forum attached, not the other way around. I really think this helps to keep the place relevant.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind welcome back.

I'm glad to see you guys still around, even if other interests have dragged you elsewhere over the years. Are you still collecting Patrick or just hanging on to a few favorite pieces or???

How about you Jean? There was a time that you had two or three projects going continually.

Robert, sorry to hear about your health problems. Glad you are back too.

Nice to hear from you Ian, guess I'll have to wander over to check out SFI too, I wonder if Brock is still hanging out over there.

Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice to see you back Russ, or should I call you Triton?. I remember back in the older days at SFI our argument about Angelina Jolie's beauty (especially her lips), much to everyone's dismay. Also, our discussion over the nature of DT5156 (XIIIa vs. XX).

It's true that some of the sword forums have gone down. SFI is pretty deserted, though a few of the subforums like the HEMA one and the Antique and Military sword forum are busy. Netsword died, and a recent attempt to revive it has failed. But the Sword Buyers Guide forum is very active. and myArmoury has survived quite well.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:

I'm glad to see you guys still around, even if other interests have dragged you elsewhere over the years. Are you still collecting Patrick or just hanging on to a few favorite pieces or???

I'm still collecting and still engaged in the hobby like I've always been. That hasn't changed in my past 48 years and I don't see it happening any time soon. I don't spend as actively as I once did, but I have a couple of things currently on order. The collection is around fifteen pieces and that's where I like to keep it, between fifteen or twenty. Any higher and it starts to seem a bit out of hand. Times have changed. Fifteen years ago the trick was finding someone who made a quality product. Now, there are plenty of those and the only deciding factor is how much one can spend. Truly a great time to be a sword geek. I have been more active in the shooting sports over the last few years so that's diverted a bit of my time and income. Still diggin' the swords though.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:

How about you Jean? There was a time that you had two or three projects going continually.

Well, at some point one has had made most of those things one always dreamed about when one was a kid and never thought one could ever really have.

I still buy somethings when they appeal to me: Not always high end, but they have to be decently functional or the basis of some DIY work.

Occasionally I may have an idea for a sword or a polearm and I then find a custom maker to make it.

I also have gotten into making my own walking sticks and that is a good outlet for my creative juices: I usually make one every month or two, rarely the same design, and I use exotic woods chosen for their hardness, strength and aesthetic qualities.

I really like using Macassar Ebony, Purpleheart, Yellowheart, African Blackwood, Cocobolo etc .....

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Nice to see you back Russ, or should I call you Triton?. I remember back in the older days at SFI our argument about Angelina Jolie's beauty (especially her lips), much to everyone's dismay. Also, our discussion over the nature of DT5156 (XIIIa vs. XX).

LOL! I had forgotten about that! Yes I wasn't quite so stodgy then... perhaps I'm still not. Happy Now if I can get one of those katana vs rapier debates going... or maybe dig up Bjorn to argue about who should get to keep archaeological finds...

Roger Hooper wrote:
It's true that some of the sword forums have gone down. SFI is pretty deserted, though a few of the subforums like the HEMA one and the Antique and Military sword forum are busy. Netsword died, and a recent attempt to revive it has failed. But the Sword Buyers Guide forum is very active. and myArmoury has survived quite well.

Glad to hear that there's still the odd watering hole for the sword guy to wander into. It sounds like you have remained quite active over the last few years on the various web fora. So I'm curious, what does the collection look like these days?

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

I'm still collecting and still engaged in the hobby like I've always been. That hasn't changed in my past 48 years and I don't see it happening any time soon. I don't spend as actively as I once did, but I have a couple of things currently on order. The collection is around fifteen pieces and that's where I like to keep it, between fifteen or twenty. Any higher and it starts to seem a bit out of hand. Times have changed. Fifteen years ago the trick was finding someone who made a quality product. Now, there are plenty of those and the only deciding factor is how much one can spend. Truly a great time to be a sword geek. I have been more active in the shooting sports over the last few years so that's diverted a bit of my time and income. Still diggin' the swords though.

I know the feeling, I've spent a pretty good bit on ammo myself here recently which is cutting into that trip budget I've been saving for. Discipline! Discipline! Then I've gotten interested in knife making. Just a kit here or there so far but... Discipline! It's the one thing I fear spending time here again. If Tod starts posting some of his wares can I hold out? What about all those deals in the classifieds... Discipline! Happy Sigh. I'm really a hopeless case I guess, too many toys and a bad case of the "I wants." I've still got that A&A 12th century sword you sold me so long ago though.

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

I also have gotten into making my own walking sticks and that is a good outlet for my creative juices: I usually make one every month or two, rarely the same design, and I use exotic woods chosen for their hardness, strength and aesthetic qualities.

I really like using Macassar Ebony, Purpleheart, Yellowheart, African Blackwood, Cocobolo etc .....

Neat Jean! Weird how so many of us end up working on something or other with our hands. I'll have to check and see if you have a website, I'd like to see your work!

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:

I know the feeling, I've spent a pretty good bit on ammo myself here recently which is cutting into that trip budget I've been saving for. Discipline! Discipline! Then I've gotten interested in knife making. Just a kit here or there so far but... Discipline! It's the one thing I fear spending time here again. If Tod starts posting some of his wares can I hold out? What about all those deals in the classifieds... Discipline! Happy Sigh. I'm really a hopeless case I guess, too many toys and a bad case of the "I wants." I've still got that A&A 12th century sword you sold me so long ago though.

Sometimes it's painful being a grownup! With all of the kids out of the house I do have more discretionary income. However, I'm now looking at the possibility of retiring from the job in a few years. (everyone I work with keeps getting younger and the familiar faces keep getting fewer and fewer) Time's gotten away from me and it's slipped by faster than I imagined it would when I first became my brothers keeper. I'd really like to be able to make the jump, so I'm now thinking perhaps there are smarter ways to spend my money, at least in the short term.

I've been involved with a weekly bullseye league for the last few years. For some reason I've become one of the guys in charge, so that occupies a bit of my time with tabulating scores, keeping track of membership fees, etc. A guy can have too many hobbies!

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

Sometimes it's painful being a grownup! With all of the kids out of the house I do have more discretionary income. However, I'm now looking at the possibility of retiring from the job in a few years. (everyone I work with keeps getting younger and the familiar faces keep getting fewer and fewer) Time's gotten away from me and it's slipped by faster than I imagined it would when I first became my brothers keeper. I'd really like to be able to make the jump, so I'm now thinking perhaps there are smarter ways to spend my money, at least in the short term.

I've been involved with a weekly bullseye league for the last few years. For some reason I've become one of the guys in charge, so that occupies a bit of my time with tabulating scores, keeping track of membership fees, etc. A guy can have too many hobbies!

You are right, my oldest started high school this year, and I'm thinking "excuse me?" You are right, there are certainly higher priorities, that's sort of the reason I've mostly given up buying new toys at least temporarily, the trip is something for the family, and I'm not going to have the children around forever!

Robert B. Marks

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:

My running gag is that I'm not a grown-up - I'm actually a 12-year old disguised as a grown-up. Don't tell anybody, though...they let me drive cars...

Still, what you've just described is what I'm about to go through. I got married earlier this year, and when it comes to children, I've got my wife talked down to "3 kids and then we'll see." And, once the first kid arrives, my entire collection goes behind glass (the last thing I want is a small child crawling around and knocking over one of my sharps). So, hopefully actually having some industry work (as the .sig file says, I got snatched up by Darksword Armory in Montreal to do writing and publicity) will let me keep up with my hobby. That said, my wife already gives me a certain skeptical look any time I talk about how I want to acquire a new sword...

(With all the familiar faces from SFI, it feels like one of us should offer a toast to the memory of Dandy Don...it definitely feels like a reunion right now.)

Okay...this is cool enough that I can't resist sharing, so here's the picture. My wife and I went to England on our honeymoon, and one of the places we visited was the Tower of London. While we were there, we found this in the White Tower. I kid you not - it is a sculpture of a dragon, made from weapons and scrolls. I don't know why it was there, nor do I know who made it, but I think it goes down as one of the coolest things to do with a weapon collection ever.

Attachment: 196.45 KB
[ Download ]

Robert Marks
Darksword Armory, Inc.
www.darksword-armory.com
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:

Glad to hear that there's still the odd watering hole for the sword guy to wander into. It sounds like you have remained quite active over the last few years on the various web fora. So I'm curious, what does the collection look like these days?

I'm fairly active over at SBG. At SFI I've posted maybe five times in the past five years.

My collection is an untidy mess that should be pruned back by two thirds. The past few years I have scaled back buying frequency, concentrating on custom pieces, almost all of them from Arms and Armor. They cover a period between 1400 and 1700, most of them from the 17th century.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert B. Marks wrote:

My running gag is that I'm not a grown-up - I'm actually a 12-year old disguised as a grown-up. Don't tell anybody, though...they let me drive cars...

Still, what you've just described is what I'm about to go through. I got married earlier this year, and when it comes to children, I've got my wife talked down to "3 kids and then we'll see." And, once the first kid arrives, my entire collection goes behind glass (the last thing I want is a small child crawling around and knocking over one of my sharps). So, hopefully actually having some industry work (as the .sig file says, I got snatched up by Darksword Armory in Montreal to do writing and publicity) will let me keep up with my hobby. That said, my wife already gives me a certain skeptical look any time I talk about how I want to acquire a new sword...

(With all the familiar faces from SFI, it feels like one of us should offer a toast to the memory of Dandy Don...it definitely feels like a reunion right now.)

Okay...this is cool enough that I can't resist sharing, so here's the picture. My wife and I went to England on our honeymoon, and one of the places we visited was the Tower of London. While we were there, we found this in the White Tower. I kid you not - it is a sculpture of a dragon, made from weapons and scrolls. I don't know why it was there, nor do I know who made it, but I think it goes down as one of the coolest things to do with a weapon collection ever.

Well first off congratulations on the nuptials! Speaking from experience definitely have a plan for putting the weapons away before the children are mobile. It was a real low point in the Dad career, there's nothing like knowing your child was harmed because of your stupidity. Fortunately no lasting damage was done.

I envy you the trip, maybe I will see your dragon myself in a couple of years! Where else did you go? I'm planning, London, Salisbury and Sutton Hoo at a minimum. Hadrian's Wall and York if I can get away with it.

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:

I'm fairly active over at SBG. At SFI I've posted maybe five times in the past five years.

My collection is an untidy mess that should be pruned back by two thirds. The past few years I have scaled back buying frequency, concentrating on custom pieces, almost all of them from Arms and Armor. They cover a period between 1400 and 1700, most of them from the 17th century.

Glad to hear that you are keeping Chris and Craig and the boys in spending money! I would still like to finish out the Arms and Armor catalogue but realistically my last 3 purchases have been custom and it's hard to go back to production even very good production like Arms and Armor. Maybe I will have to start getting custom work from them as well. Happy

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis, hmmmmm...

Why that slack jaw, beady eyed, long hair galoot. I tell you what.

Oh hi Russ. Laughing Out Loud

The mythical Triton is on occasion spotted on at least one other bladed forum.

It was 2003 (iirc) when Russ held his then annual pick your culture poll and I won as the wild eyed naked kelt swinging his blade around. That khukri has moved on a couple of caretakers since. The end result might read as a bit more bawdy than just naked kelts but it is now with a lady that appreciates a stout curved blade. Eek!

Cheers

GC
P. Schontzler

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is the 18 month backlog posted on the website still an accurate number?

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Technical difficulties and Musings
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: