Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Recommend a bearded axe for outdoor work Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Travis H.

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Recommend a bearded axe for outdoor work         Reply with quote

I would like to purchase a bearded axe for outdoor use- Yard work, hunting, limbing, kindling, making fires, etc. A solid yard tool. Well, basically I want a hatchet with a long beard. I stared looking at viking styled axes as they have prominent beards. I really like the Peterson Type C style axe. A&A's would be perfect, but it is cast...

I do not want to spend $300+ on a GB.

Any recommendations?
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

axes are a pretty nice tool - something that's fallen away since urban sprawl started happening.

every house hold should have a good long handled axe - what is most popular is the Michigan axe style - yet in modern mass production there really only good for splitting. unless you get your hands on a really old one that's made correctly.

Eastwing makes a long handled axe that fits the lifestyle you want for it. its cheep in comparison to something historical your looking at - especially if it's going to be used.

there are also some things over on the cold steel website if i remember correctly. all of them can be easily modified to a look you may want, and they are not too pricey either. don't be afraid to look at their hatches or tomahawks as they can all be mounted to a larger half i don't remember seeing any of them fixed to the half only wedged.
Robert W Tucker

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've got the arms and armor type c, casting these days dose not have to be a bad thing some company's like 2 hawks forge make there axe's this way and there just as tough as a forged head. The A and A Nord axe I got didn't have a tempered edge or at least not a good one when it came I re-tempered it and have been using it for hunting and camping for two years now one little nick in it from hitting a rock on a swing I think that even the forged piece would have that problem in my opinion the arms and armor piece would be a good jumping off point and then save up for GB that's what I plan on doing not because mine dose not function properly just because I want to try out that particular brand . Also I went down to the hard wear store and bought a maul replacement handle and took a draw knife to it to shape wider proper handle for chopping, it's got A 27 and 1/2 inch handle now the other thing I did was sand the head down smooth to 500 grit then re-tempered and cold blued it then pulled that back to grey dose not rust easy splits like the rest of them and looks different at the camp sight, hope that helps.
Robert W Tucker

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like to mention something I thought about also, Otzi the iceman had a copper axe and that fell trees among other tasks for him if he could do that with copper we can do it with investment cast steel Wink
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert W Tucker wrote:
I've got the arms and armor type c, casting these days dose not have to be a bad thing some company's like 2 hawks forge make there axe's this way and there just as tough as a forged head. The A and A Nord axe I got didn't have a tempered edge or at least not a good one when it came I re-tempered it and have been using it for hunting and camping for two years now one little nick in it from hitting a rock on a swing I think that even the forged piece would have that problem in my opinion the arms and armor piece would be a good jumping off point and then save up for GB that's what I plan on doing not because mine dose not function properly just because I want to try out that particular brand . Also I went down to the hard wear store and bought a maul replacement handle and took a draw knife to it to shape wider proper handle for chopping, it's got A 27 and 1/2 inch handle now the other thing I did was sand the head down smooth to 500 grit then re-tempered and cold blued it then pulled that back to grey dose not rust easy splits like the rest of them and looks different at the camp sight, hope that helps.

Mine was semi-customized for a modest increase in price with a separate piece of steel for the cutting edge using a higher carbon steel ( I assume higher carbon steel ) and heat treated: So it has a softer cast body and a harder edge.

One can e-mail Craig at A&A and ask what is possible and at what extra cost.

If I remember correctly, Craig wasn't 100% satisfied with the " aesthetics " of the welded joining of the casting with the harder steel edge, but I found it perfectly O.K. functionally : There where a few small pits after Craig ground and cleaned up the hammer weld, not really an issue if one is going to use the axe for hard work.

Nothing really wrong with it but Craig can be a perfectionist.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd go with the Hanwei Bearded Viking Axe.The big one might be a bit too big for your intended use, but the smaller one is the size of a large tomahawk. I believe they are drop-forged, not cast. The handles are crappy, though. Buy a good hardware store hickory handle to replace it WHEN(not if) it breaks, and you should have one tough lil axe.......McM
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Forgot to add.......ANY of the Cold Steel tomahawks are worth twice the money you pay. They are drop forged, tempered, and tough . I have three of them and they are the real deal. They just don't make a bearded model. The Norse hawk is cool though, with the biggest cutting edge. Mine goes through limbs and roots like butter. McM
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, axes :-)

Some options for good axes below.

First Gränsfors bruk in Sweden. An axe manufacturer who makes top quality forged axes of several traditional types, a few based on historical models.

A viking age hand axe that is very functional as a tool and for hunting or trekking. It is said to be Swedish viking axe, but the form is actually of easter influence. It is very similar in shape to axes that are found in Sweden but center of origin is on the easter shore of the Baltic.

http://www.gransforsbruk.com/wp-content/uploa...ng-Axe.pdf

A bearded axe of viking period type. These axes were favored for shaping timber, and are very handy tool for shipbuilding. Also handy for making log houses. A pretty iconic bearded axe very similar to the ones found in the Mästermyr find.

http://www.gransforsbruk.com/wp-content/uploa...rd-Axe.pdf

I can really recommend the axes from Gränfors. They are very well made and lovingly shaped. The smiths who work at the forges are very good at what they do and mark each axe with their own initials as part of production/QC process.
You will not regret buying an axe from Grärsfors.

I would also recommend you to consider turning to a custom smith like Owen Bush or Jim Austin. You may be surprised at the very affordable price for the work and quality offered.

The axes of Owen´s make are as personal as they are functional: well made and well heat treated tools that will make chopping a pure joy.
http://owenbush.co.uk/axes/

Jim Austin has developed axe forging into a kind of poetry. If you have not seen his working and his axes, you should google it. Be prepared for an intensive urging.
http://www.ferndaleblacksmith.com/JimAustin.html
Travis H.

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for all the feedback on the A&A. I will contact them and see what the current price and wait time is on a tempered edge add on.

I had not thought of the Cold Steel. It looks like a viable option and the price is definitely right. It does lack 'character' though.

I came across the 'Little Ugly Axe' from Forged in Time and am liking what I see, plus the price is good. Has anyone used or seen one in person?

Thank you for the links Peter. They are both interesting. I am going to inquire on prices and wait times.

Please feel free to offer more reputable makers.
Tim M.

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recommend the Finnish Roselli axes. They are on the thick side, but very sharp and great for spitting. For under 80 euros/ 100 dollars, they are excellent axes. Lamnia.fi sells them for Europe, and Ragweed's Forge is the cheapest in America that I know of. Kellam and knifecenter.com are horribly overpriced.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Recommend a bearded axe for outdoor work
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic