Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > KOA armor quality... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jul, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: KOA armor quality...         Reply with quote

Hey all......I might have asked this in the past, but I've slept since then...so...KOA, as well as a few other places, are selling armor kits and pieces. They offer these armors called Dark Drake, Dark Warrior, Epic Warrior, King, etc. Just judging from the photos, some of this stuff looks pretty neat. I especially like the Dark Drake full kit. The fluting and creasing looks pretty good. I was just wondering if anyone has any of this brand of armor and what they think of it. I would be interested in it for costume purposes only....no combat. I hope. Laughing Out Loud Thanks in advance...........McM
Nicolai Overgaard

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jul, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some of the armor, as far as I can see, is made by Epic Armoury, a firm in Denmark making and dealing in LARP equipment. I've seen some of it and handled it and it is well made.

I have a link for you here- http://epicarmoury.com/

cheers
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jul, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much, Nic.......I had never heard of this company before........but, then again, I'm not a "LARPer'. Glad to hear from someone who has actually seen and felt it. I just went through their whole PDF catalog, and a lot of that stuff is really cool. I may be just about to take a chance and buy a new Renn-Fest armour kit ! The worst thing that could happen , I guess , is that I buy it......it sucks.....and I have to return it for a refund. Worried Now that I saw their catalog, I notice that Kult of Athena sells quite a bit of their goods. Got no probs here ordering from KOA. Thank you again!............McM
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jul, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If anyone else out there has ANY experience with this armour, your comments will be most appreciated! Thank you all , in advance.............McM
Foster Day

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you get the darkened armor, it eventually rubs off due to abrasion, especially on gorgets with the overlapping metal.
Function over fashion
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
If anyone else out there has ANY experience with this armour, your comments will be most appreciated! Thank you all , in advance.............McM

I bought some of this from KoA last year for a convention in which I made a 'Game of Thrones' inspired armor set for myself. My son also bought himself a set from KoA. While the armor looks good and is quite decent for wear with such ensembles, it is by no means combat-grade armor. My brestplate and pauldrons only gauged out between about 18 and 20 ga, which is far to thin for WMA type activities. It's does not appear to tempered or hardened in any way, so it is fairly easy to bend it out/in by hand to adjust fit. Also, if you get the unfinished items, they do rust somewhat easily - so you would want to Ren Wax them or something right off the bat. The straps are nice thick leather and everything is put together decently (rivets, buckes, lames, etc) - much nicer than what other companies offer along the same lines.

So, it depends on what you want to use it for. LARP, cosplay, Ren Faire, etc = good. Use for protecting your body from combat damage = bad. Happy

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch, Sarge. No combat for me......just dress wear. I was just wondering of the general quality. If it's pretty easy to bend to shape, that would be a pretty good thing for me...........since I'm built like a Hobbit. Laughing Out Loud .....Thanks!!........McM

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > KOA armor quality...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic